“A five-star stay to end the trip”
Review of Sachatamia Lodge

Sachatamia Lodge
Ranked #2 of 19 Mindo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 June 2017

Our last two nights in Ecuador... And our last full day. Sachatamia Lodge was such a nice way to end this fabulous trip! It is a lovely location, well cared for, exceedingly comfortable and welcoming. The cabins are very well appointed, with big beds (excellent mattresses and pillows), a very nice bathroom, a couch, a little table with chairs and lots of windows to watch the forest all around. All sparkling clean.

I had a cabin quite a distance away from the main building (our vehicle, supported by hotel staff, got out luggage to our cabins in a jiffy), and on our second night there it poured. I had arrived late from my day trip and it was already raining, so I grabbed an umbrella from the holder at the front entrance and made my way, headlamp in place (the paths are lit, but not well enough to avoid the rivers that formed due to the downpour), to my cabin. My two traveling companions were staying a few cabins up, and when I headed back to the main building for dinner I stopped by and found they were stranded... they had no umbrellas! I reached the main building, explained the problem to staff and in no time a lad hurried down the path carrying two umbrellas for them. Gotta love the courtesy.

The food was very, very good, and so was the drink. Staff showed the same high standard of service at all meals and also at every request (such as, do you have a bird guide there, I just saw a bird I can't quite identify!).

On our final morning, we had some time to bird the hotel grounds. It was a beautiful, sunny day and we wanted to make the most of it. We were served breakfast outside (and the scrambled eggs with cheese were heavenly) and given extra cups of fresh coffee as we hung around leisurely.

This is one place I wouldn't mind visiting again!

Room Tip: Wifi is patchy everywhere, and when it rains it fades
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends

Reviewed 10 June 2017 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay at this lodge and would return in the future. The food from the restaurant was delicious. I had the chicken with a nice sauce, steam veggies, fries. Before we had vegetable soup with popcorn and for dessert a white cake. Stay in the room in the main lodge because it has good wifi and a hot shower. I would recommend to solo travelers or couples.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 June 2017

We stayed in the main lodge this time above the Resturant. Very confortable room with a good hot shower.
This time management was very accommodating to the early morning birders. We had breakfast at 6:00 am A very pleasant 2 night stay. This time we also saw the local night owl which frequents the property at night.
The food in the Resturant there is excellent. We will not hesitate to return.

Room Tip: Cabins or lodge both good
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank welltravelled019
Reviewed 7 June 2017 via mobile

My wife, friends, and I stayed at Sachatamia Lodge for two nights while we were on a birding tour in the Mindo area. The cabins are delightful and roomy with additional beds in the loft. We especially liked the woodwork, cleanliness, and the owner's friendliness. We only ate one meal there, but it was fabulous Ecuadorian cuisine. If you want a quiet, clean place to stay that is close to town, then I highly recommend this place.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 June 2017

First, the notsogood: Like many grand tourist venues in Ecuador, this place is fading before your eyes. Story is, it used to be more, ah, luxurious, years ago when kids were not allowed. Now, it's also billed as a family venue (a birding lodge!) so birders may want to give it a pass unless they have found some magic way to enhance birding via the presence of screaming, bored children. In its death thoes, many of the further out cabins have been closed, the jacuzzi is permanently "under repair" (we were there a full week...no jacuzzi), and the pool remained covered the whole time. The hummingbird feeders were often empty, but we don't know if that is a new development. Except for some guests on weekends and a tour passing through for a meal or a day now and then, the place is pretty much empty. We basically had it to ourselves, which is a good transition to the good.

The good, it was usually very quiet (minus the weekend, when the kids showed up). That was a mixed blessing for us, as we had chosen a birding lodge b/c we were looking forward to meeting other birders. Our room, number one, alone on the top floor of the lodge, was the nicest room we had in three months in Ecuador, with cleaning service to match. Very nicely handled. It overlooked a bamboo garden where the hummingbirds gathered in the afternoon rain to groom themselves -- a marvelous show. Francisco the majestic Black and White owl came every evening to harvest the moths attracted by the parking lot light, and produced a steady stream of very cute "meow" sounds throughout the night that never got old. The restaurant was also excellent for lunch and dinner (and very reasonably priced -- decent ravioli carbonara for $12), while the breakfast venue was nice to enjoy coffee and hummingbird feeders, though less so for the average food (we had much better breakfast at the $34/night hostal downtown). Coffee was a perpetual problem, but that has been extensively reviewed by others.

The staff is mostly excellent, but watching this lodge, and their jobs, fade right before their eyes is likely very challenging. They handle it very well, but the atmosphere is palpable.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mindo
4.6 km away
25.2 km away
Mashpi Lodge
Mashpi Lodge
#1 of 1 in Pacto

Been to Sachatamia Lodge? Share your experiences!