“"Have It Made At The Madeira"”
Review of Madeira Cafe

Madeira Cafe
Ranked #58 of 260 Restaurants in New Bedford
Price range: USD 6 - USD 22
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We have a full line of all seafood,fried or baked, we have sirloin steaks, carne de Espeto, Chicken and pork dishes, pasta and pizza's along with children's dishes.
Reviewed 6 June 2016

I had been here a couple of years back, when visiting my original home city of New Bedford. I had another gift certificate, so I figured that I would give them another try, as I liked it before (see previous review). Patrick was an excellent server and the food was excellent. The prices were so good, that I had to also order a pizza to go to use up the gift certificate. I would definitely go back, but I still hope they have stopped putting rabbit on the menu. Great food, great service, great prices! Two rabbit ears up!!
(\ (\
( -.-)
o_(")(")

Reviewed 9 December 2014

My and wife and two friends dined at the Madeira Cafe in November and had a very nice dining experience. The waitress was very friendly, efficient and accomodating. The food was very good, May I recommend the surf and turf (steak tips and baked stuffed shrimp). The steak comes on a skewer and the marinade is excellent. The prices are very reasonable. The owner came to our table and spent considerable time with us talking about the restaurant and asking about our experience. A very nice evening.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

I had a gift certificate for this place, so I gave it a visit. They close before 9pm, but the owner/manager Caroline said I had time when I called them. I arrived soon after, and was invited to sit at the bar. The place was very pleasant, and the seafood was the best I have eaten in New Bedford on this visit. Caroline was very hospitable, and I was not in need of anything. The only downside to this place is that they have rabbit on the menu, but that is a big personal issue with me, but may mean nothing to others. I wish it were illegal to serve my long eared fluffy friends. Anyhow, that being said; this was otherwise a great place. I would definitely eat here again....when and if, they take rabbit off the menu.

(\ (\
( -.-)
o_(")(")

1  Thank Marc C
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Been here two times now, and both times the food has been amazing! Menu was full of choices I felt I could eat being a rather picky person. I settled on the Chicken alatajano, which had great flavor, and the portion size was even better. The gravy was delicious, and the potatoes in the dish were perfect. The second time I visited, I split the dish with my girlfriend, because there was so much food. We will be back, and soon............Best portuguese I've had in the area. Better than antonio's.....Better than Captain's Place.......I use to frequent Cafe Funchal, and this is better than that place as well......

2  Thank brianf935
Reviewed 9 April 2013

We visited Madeira Cafe on a recent Saturday night with a large group. Although the restaurant's policy is to serve a fixed family style menu for parties over 20 the owner allowed us to order from the menu if our count reached a bit over the limit ( which, ultimately, it did not).
Madeira Cafe's menu is quite extensive and features many Portuguese dishes and a good amount of seafood choices. Traditional Madeiran specialties like Milho Frito,fried corn meal and Bolo do Caco, a stone cooked bread with garlic/parsley butter are offered. The majority of our group are Madeiran by descent, so we were anxious to compare the restaurant's version of these two dishes. Both were good but comments were that the milho frito could benefit from the addition of a llittle salt and that the bolo needed more garlic and parsley in the butter spread. Aside from that they were cooked well.Our diners ordered a variety of dishes. My husband found his stewed Polvo ( octopus) delicious. The Fish and Chips got rave reviews from several of our family members who order Fish and Chips just about every time we eat out.. Those who ordered the Bacalhao ( codfish) and the Carne Alentjana ( pork & clams) gave them a thumbs up. As for the stuffed scrod, "the best I've had", was the comment.
The service was excellent and well paced. We had 2 tables with a server at each. Our waitresses were attentive, and engaging and nearly all of our dinners came to the table at the same time.
Several homemade desserts are offered and the Portuguese sweet rice was yummy. We'll certainly return to try some other dishes.
Because of the large variety of menu choices, there is something for everyone's taste, even Pizza! If you haven't been to Madeira Cafe, it's worth a try!

2  Thank FQRB