“The finest hotel in the world”

Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I spent my honeymoon with the Four Season in Wailea, Maui, Hawaii. And it was the finest of the many 5 star 5 diamond hotels I have ever stayed at.

Our trip began from Washington D.C. and so we decided to stop over for a day in San Francisco, in order to avoid too much time sitting all at once. That was a smart move.

Arriving in Maui, we took a limo into the hotel, and the staff was perfect in handling us upon our arrival. We never had to touch our luggage once we left it in San Francisco. The staff and the manager at the entrance each greeted us by name and gave us leis. During the short walk to check in we were offered drinks.

Check-in was instantaneous and a bellman gave a short tour on the way to our suite.
There, the amenities just within the suite were excellent, but the with a hotel as beautiful as the Four Seasons, Wailea, we wanted to see the grounds.

Everywhere we went, the staff was unfailingly friendly and courteous. They could read our minds and would stop whatever they were doing in order to meet our needs.
For example, I was lounging by the pool and paused to rub my neck, which had gotten stiff on the long flights, and a staff member came up and asked if I would like for them to arrange a pool-side massage...."Um, yes please! :)"

The location and facilities are top-notch, but its really the unparalleled service that sets a world-class resort apart from the competition.

For example, on this trip, at the beginning, we were still on D.C. time, so were were up at 4am, watching the gardeners hand-prune individuals leaves from the bushes and plants around the grounds. We called room service, and were, of course, greeted by name. In 10 minutes we had a lovely breakfast laid out atop the granite table on our lanai. Fresh pineapple, cantaloupe, strawberries, and honeydew on individual platters. Fresh yogurts of different flavors, decorated with perfect flowers. Tall pitchers of fresh-squeezed orange juice, milk, and a carafe of excellent coffee. Fresh cream on ice. Bowls of cereal and a toaster for fresh toast.
Every condiment or topping or touch you could want was on hand. All this at 4am local time and so quickly!

The concierge was the finest I have used, scheduling all our off-site activities and helping us choose from different service providers. Accurately describing the distinguishing characteristics of each service we enjoyed.

The top-class service didn't end there. When my wife became ill during our stay there. With one call to the desk, in the middle of the early morning, we had a doctor call us in one minute and a prescription was delivered within 30 minutes! We didn't have to leave our suite to receive excellent care! Who knows where the pharmacy was that was open to help us at that time of the morning!

Also, we booked a snorkeling/whale watching tour on the Kai Kanani which was a nice catamaran and we enjoyed it very much. But knowing that my bride and I are true landlubbers, we did not want to get seasick. I called room service and asked for some crystallized ginger. The person that I spoke to on the phone did not know what it was but said they would speak to a chef there to see if they could find out if they had it. 5 minutes later a small dish of perfect crystallized ginger was delivered to us by one of the cheeriest servers I have ever met. They were so excited to have met our request for an unusual and specific item so quickly and so well...phenomenal!

We hired a car to drive us out to Lahaina for a luau at the Feast at Lele. Both the car and the luau were top-notch - - as we know to expect with the Four Seasons.

We hired a helicopter to take us on a long tour of the islands. Not a problem for the Four Seasons, they arranged for the same car and driver to be at our service throughout the week, which was nice. We started to feel comfortable with our driver, Nick and his Town Car. The familiarity of that same person and car, in a place that was so new to us was a comfort.

The spa, OH the SPA!!!! We spent time there everyday, getting one service or treatment or more performed for us. It was wonderful, immaculate, gorgeous, and the people were so friendly.

I cannot say enough kind things about this wonderful resort. It was amazing! Thank you Four Seasons. We Love You!

Room Tip: Rooms on the northern side may occasionally hear the trucks that use that service access point betwe...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank James F

Reviewed 11 April 2012

My wife and I recently celebrated our honeymoon at the Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea. I have traveled all over the world and have stayed at some incredible hotels, but the Four Seasons Maui is by far the nicest I've ever stayed at.

The hotel grounds are simply gorgeous, the rooms are beautiful, the service impeccable - the trip was simply perfect.

We could not have imagined a more perfect honeymoon, and have already talked about celebrating future anniversaries at this beautiful resort!

Reviewed 7 April 2012

This is our second time staying at this resort. We just love it. It is pure perfection. The service is unbeatable, the food is terrific and the celebrity sightings are amazing. During our stay, we saw Steven Tyler at the pool.
If you want a five star experience, then this is the place to stay. We are planning on returning to the resort in January of 2014. Can't wait.....

4  Thank zoo-ma-goo
Reviewed 7 April 2012

This was our fourth stay at the Four Seasons Wailea. There's always a risk of returning to a favorite place and it not living up to the past experience. Not so the Four Seasons at Wailea! This resort manages to be exclusive and wonderfully relaxed at the same time, due to the spectacular property but, more importantly, due to its staff. Service here is impeccable but we would especially like to praise Poolside staff Rowena and Matt for their wonderful dispositions and stellar service. They enhanced our already perfect days! We will be back again, and again.

Room Tip: Ask about whether your room is connecting to another and if you are booking a single room and can...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank NorthwestTripster
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Hotel is definitely in a beautiful location and provides great service but there's a few shortcomings. Food and service was great and concierge was very helpful in planning our trip and activities (they made a good call with the Alii Nui for a whale watching daytrip). They also setup helicopter and snorkeling trips for us which were all great. The "full ocean view" rooms are a bit underwhelming in that you can be pretty far back from the water with less than an unobstructed view.

I also thought the pools are far too small relative to the demand. It was tough to get a pool chair by the main pool and it was definitely a fairly boisterous scene with lots of kids running around and doing cannonballs into the pool. I have nothing against kids but my wife and I were looking for a quiet getaway and the main pool definitely wasn't it. They do have a "serenity pool" for guests that are 21+ but that was an absurd proposition. They said that the pool opened at 7am but people started lining up for pool chairs at 6am. 6am!! Who gets up that early on vacation? I'm not a morning person so definitely not doing that. They also have a lazy man's option (tailored for someone like me) where you could reserve pool chairs the day before but it costs $100 to make that reservation. $100!! For a one-day pool reservation? Seems a bit pricey for a temporary seat. We never ended up pursuing either option so didn't get to see if it was worth it or not. We just went to the beach instead.

Overall, a good hotel with good beach and services but pools were a bit of a shortcoming in my mind.

Room Tip: If you get an ocean view room try to get one that's closer to the beach side of the hotel.
5  Thank Goldspinach
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
0.6 km away
1.3 km away
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 8 in Wailea

Been to Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea? Share your experiences!