This is a poorly maintained, dirty, disappointing, facility, incapable of accommodating its guests. The sprawling layout accentuated with over zealous security procedures are more comparable to a prison, rather a than a resort.
Lounge chairs which are rowed together, much like seating at a cramped sushi bar surround the cloudy waters of the pool, which feature terrific water slides, but with long lines much like you would find at an over crowded water park. Any attempt to arrange chairs or position an umbrella to your liking is quickly and efficiently corrected by security guards, returning these items to their original spot. No modifications to their military like formations of pool furnishings are allowed!
Magnificent views from the terrace, with the soothing sounds of the surf to lull one to sleep at night are soon replaced by buzzing saws and hammering from construction and Smokey gas powered landscaping machinery at 8 am.
I’m sure this was once a great place, and could still be, but it is so consumed in regulations, policies and overcrowding that it makes it impossible to experience simple peace and quiet. Discontented guests are only subject to a robot like staff who seem to mirror an in person experience with a telephone call operator with well rehearsed patronizing responses to their guests concerns. They seem to have an answer for everything, and if they don't, they just pick one of the previously prepared generic statements, which closely match.
Rooms are tired, small and in desperate need of carpeting, so much that I dare not walk in bare feet. Most staff is friendly, but helpless, which leaves guests at the mercy of seasoned supervisors, who are more interested in the goals of their resort and peers, rather than those of the guests they are supposed to serve.
The smiling staff which hosts the $75 breakfast buffet of cold eggs, hard breads and impressive line up of mostly empty food warmers, smile as you flip open lids, much like trying to guess under which cup the pea is hidden under at a magic show.
This is a resort factory, which has lost touch with its guests and has fallen victim to its inability to cope with the needs of the hordes of guests to which it has been exposed to by its previous reputation, which no longer is present.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, is the ultimate destination for a fabulous Hawaii vacation, perfect for families, spa goers, honeymooners, golfers and active vacationers. Situated on 40 acres of lush, tropical Hawaiian gardens, Grand Wailea opens onto Maui's beautiful Wailea Beach, voted one of the best beaches in America, with elegant and newly-renovated accommodations, indulgent spa treatments, fine dining and thrilling recreational options. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia APAC, Hilton Hotels Direct, Odigeo, Hotels.com and lastminute.com.au so you can book your Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Wailea - a Waldorf Astoria Hotel Wailea
- Grand Wailea Maui
- Grand Wailea Resort Maui
- Grand Wailea Hawaii
- Grand Hotel Wailea
- Grand Resort Wailea
- Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort Maui