“A wonderful luxury hotel in Maui, Hawaii”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I have done a lot of business travel and I can honestly say that the Grand Wailea is one of the best and most complete hotels I have ever stayed at. The hospitality that was given to my wife and I on our honeymoon just last week. The room when we arrived (on 2/6/12) was positively lovely, set the tone for our entire trip and will be a memory we will never forget. The property was exquisite and we had a phenomenal time and are counting down to our first big anniversary so that we can come back. There is not one thing that could have been better about our stay, that is a huge compliment to the entire hotel and its staff.

We ate at each of the restaurants and had drinks at all of the bars. While at times it appeared the prices were a bit high on food, you definitely got what you paid for and you have to remember you are on Maui, everything is a bit more expensive compared to the mainland. Every worker was passionate about their job and were attentive to your needs. The consierge desk was extremelyl helpful and went above and beyond to ensure my excursions were to my liking. In fact, when a snorkling trip was cancelled, they called to ensure I was rescheduled and taken care of. Again, I thought that the Grand Wailea lives up to Waldorf name and is one of the best places I have ever been.

1  Thank BobPGoFrogs
Write a ReviewReviews (6,605)

Reviewed 23 February 2012

This hotel is a text book example of a grand hotel that was likely at it's peak 15 years ago. The service and maintenance at this hotel has resigned itself to this fate, the price tag hasn't. In place of the luxury, q-tip cleanliness, little extras and exceptional service that a hotel in this price point normally delivers, guests get tired, worn interiors, an inflexible unaccommodating staff that merely smiles and says sorry when there is a problem or they frequently fail to deliver a service that was promised or that you already paid for (I.e. wifi). You are also nickledand dimed at every possible opportunity where you still must vie for limited overpriced resources with the many guests in this sprawling, faded resort. This place would be fine for half the price, but billing itself as a luxury resort just seems like fraud.

Rooms: thin towels, chipped tile, early signs of mildew on sloppily caulked tile, spotted carpeting, a slightly dirty feeling room, and worn furniture greet you and set the tone for the rest of your stay at the hotel. Housekeeping service is quick and in line with the room. Their turn down service is a joke, where at other $400-$500/ night hotels the room is freshened up, slippers are placed by the bed/ chocolates on pillow, they literally just turn down the edge of your bed linens. Like the thin wrinkled robes in th closet you wonder why they even bother? The in room wifi that you pay for in your mandatory "resort fee" is slow and often unavailable. Also the rooms aren't very quiet so you hear the people above you to the sides of you and everything going on in the hallway.

Property: sprawling with many rooms and therefore many people to make spots at the pool, at the bars, restaurants scarce. The property like the rooms is worn and tired and just not well kept up.

Restaurants: the food is horribly overpriced everywhere and is despite a lunch of 2 salads no drinks coming to about $40 and two dinners with one drink hitting the $150 mark easily, the service is awful and every meal I had there including the pricey dinner at Homuhomu was at about the caliber of lunch takeout I can get around my office at home for $8-15, although I would say salads at sandwich shops near my office are much better as is the service! Honolulu coffee in the shops next door saved us. By the end of the week we were living off of yogurts, cottage cheese and fruit from the general store next door and making dinner reservations outside of the resort.

Staff: they are friendly and smiling but not empowered or able to fix any of the problems or provide personalized help. If you have forgotten anything standard that a 4-5 star hotel normally sends to your room no problem (tooth brush, curling iron) they will refer you to their gift shop or the shops across the st. When breakfast closed earlier than the listed time and I asked the concierge for a nearby recommendation she wouldn't recommend anything to me above the crowded, long lined grab and go place in the hotel (this led me to discover the shops next door where I and many other guests would begin buying groceries-- this may be why their hesitant to recommend it). The concierge doesn't really give recommendations, suggestions, or advice on anything beyind what is in the resort and when those option or exhausted of unavailable they just smile and say sorry and are done helping you. The front desk at budget hotels is more helpful and friendly.

In summary of a long review: most parts of the hotel or only slightly I inferior to what you would expect at a well run budget hotel, but a complete disaster for the price. The little bit of time I spent at the 4 seasons next door proved that Maui does have true luxury resorts available. Everything from the restaurants to the facilities there is only slightly more expensive and light years better. I think it would be worth it to shorten vacation by a day or two to stay in these nicer accommodations and actually feel like you we getting what you paid for. This place provides a mildly frustrating and slightly streessful vacation with the true salt in the wound being that you are paying dealt for this bad experience.

6  Thank PhiladelphiaGypsy
Reviewed 21 February 2012

From the time you get out of your car and are greeted the experience at this resort was amazing. The landscaping was beautiful, the staff friendly, the pools were perfect, and the beach was one of the best in Maui. If you are looking for an "experience" I highly recommend staying at the Grand Wailea.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We decided to splurge while in Maui....sucked it up so to speak and stayed in an ocean front room. We had great whale watching with binoculars and a huge room and bath. It was quite nice. Getting to the pools and ocean was a task. You walk through the lobby to the back, take the elevator to the ground floor, then walk to your destination. The Humu restaurant was a hike in nice shoes. Didn't mind the valet parking charge but thought the "resort fee" $25 a day for the phone and fitness center was out of line. Never used either... Oh well.... Live and learn

3  Thank tulsacats
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We had to pay a $25 a day resort fee to stay at a resort. You have to pay from $120 to $230 for umbrellas or any shade at the pool - that doesn't make sense. Room service sent us a bug in our salade, a brownie that was hard as a rock and under cooked chicken, and these are well reknowned chefs? No one called to see if we were alright. Both the children and adults became sick from the food. We had to eat at the shops next door every day. No one knows how to smile so the customer service was really sad and the food is bad. The only ones who showed they cared was the house keeping staff, dept manager and director. We informed the manager on duty the evening we were leaving (2/4/12) and showed him the four at the front desk that were not smiling, yet they all had someone with them. NEVER AGAIN. They nickle and dime you so bad, will not go back.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Pauline T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
1 km away
37.2 km away
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
36.5 km away
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!