“Wonderful wedding location”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Isabela
Santa Cruz CA
“Wonderful wedding location”
Reviewed 7 March 2012

We had a large (175) wedding at Villa Montana with many of our guests staying there. The resort is lovely, the villas and rooms are spacious and beautifully appointed, the staff is outstanding, and the food is delicious. We recommend it wholeheartedly.

Room Tip: Villas range from one to three bedrooms, and all are different; some have huge living rooms and terr...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Patricia N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Stayed at Villa Montana during Valentines day weekend and overall we had a beautiful time and excellent get away. This is truly a charming place on a beautiful beach. But, it's not really a "resort" as it doesn't offer resort like service. If you are accustomed to a certain level of resort then VM falls short but it's still very beautiful, charming in a low key way. I would imagine that anyone traveling to the west coast of Puerto Rico should know that this is probably the most upscale as it would get. The grounds are very lush, and tropical. The beach is beautiful and the overall feeling is very laid back and relaxed. They have a parrot by the entrance to the reception desk that greets you with a "hola" That was adorable. The service at the front desk was below average. They got the job done, but there was almost no signs of hospitality. It was more like an experience at the post office and not the start of a beautiful vacation. It's not a deal breaker but a smile doesn't hurt anyone.

I'm a little confused over the rooms at this place. The first room we were given was in terrible condition. The sofa had a massive stain on the cushion and a ton of little stains all over. The closet doors were falling apart, over all it looked like this room had been neglected for a while. And it was full of mosquitoes, I was attacked within the first 3 minutes in the room. After calling the front desk to inform them of the room condition, in just a few short minutes, a very nice man came to escort us to view another room. This room was in much, MUCH better condition. We happily moved here. I'm guessing the villa's vary but the one we ended with had an old Spanish decor, full kitchen with everything you could possibly need. The room had a laundry room with a washer dryer. Housekeeping did a very good job.

Eclipse bar and restaurant was excellent. The place was beautiful. The attention to detail in decore was truly amazing. The place is right on the beach.. It's breathtaking. The staff was AMAZING to us. This isn't a stuffy white glove type of place but more of a low key, chill on the beach with staff who become your friends in a matter of minutes. These guys were truly good people and provided great service. The drinks and food were EXCELLENT. Every menu item we tried was delicious.

The beach was lovely, they had comfy loungers on the beach and lawn. While we were there is was never crowded and we got to sit anywhere we wanted and enjoy the peace and beautiful sunset.

Areas in need of improvement:

The towel set up was bad. You had to get towel from the front desk. It's not very convenient if you want them for the beach or pool. I can overlook this fact but the towels were in very pool condition.

The room had some items that didn't function. The tv in the bedroom wasn't hooked up to the cable and we just never bothered calling anyone to correct this. The stereo was outdated. I think it was a cassette player. One of the speakers was stained. Not sure what's up with this.. but it was odd.

There is no safe in the room (at least not one I was able to find)

The walls in the hall way of the villa had a lot of scuff marks in them. For the price we paid for 4 days I think the place should be superb condition.

Didn't look like the pool was cleaned daily, it was full of little leafs.

Close to the airport. We now know the schedules for the evening flights in Aguadilla because every single night were heard the airplanes fly right over us at the same times. They sound VERY close and loud.

I gave this resort a 4 rating because my overall trip was excellent. I am being generous with this rating if they had a 3.5 I would have given a solid 3.5. I stayed in other areas in PR in the past and I feel Villa Montana was much better than some of the higher rated hotels in SJ.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AdventuresTraveler
chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We were told that the Eclipse Restaurant in the hotel was the best in the Isabela area, but the service was so slow that it didn't matter. We were there for almost 3 hours and most of the time we were waiting for something to happen. The food was tasty when it did come, but it was expensive and not worth it or the wait. I wouldn't even write this review about the poor service, but everyone we spoke to said that same thing.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mxalpert
RobinGM, General Manager at Villa Montana Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Dear Mxalpert

We sincerely apologize for the unfortunate experience you had at Eclipse restaurant on Valentines day. Due to the unexpected volume of customers who arrived to celebrate Valentines day with us service was a little slow. For next year we now know what to expect and will be better prepared to offer the quality service that our customers are used to receiving. We hope that you will return and try Eclipse Restaurant on a less busy day so that you may enjoy the wonderful experience that Eclipse restaurant really is.

Yours sincerely

Robin Donenberg
eastern seaboard
Reviewed 27 January 2012

We went to PR for 5 days and looked on TripAdvisor to book lodging. Villa Montana seemed to get either rave reviews or cranky ones, so we were nervous. It was fabulous!!! We wanted to write in so that other travelers could ignore the bad reviews. The villas were clean, comfy new beds, nice appointments. The kitchens weren't totally appointed, could use a few things, but they sufficed. The showers weren't blazing hot, that could be fixed. However, the location was beautiful-- my favorite was the beach bar ten feet from the surf-- super relaxing and great food. The people were nice, but relaxed, which appears to be the source of cranky reviews. Hey! It's PR! Relax! We enjoyed the pool and the tennis courts and the restaurant-- we ended up eating there for three days, even though we had a car. It was a truly relaxing spot and we would definitely go again-- this time with a group!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank mountaingoatrooster
Plainville, Connecticut
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Overall experience is excellent. Below is my detailed feedback.

• DJ “Ricky” : No complaint, will definitely recommend him. He provided the sound and music for the event. Everything was set, no equipment malfunction. He got the song selection we’ve asked and even could download whatever on the spot.
• Hair and Makeup “Jenny”: Definitely recommend her. She was professional, responsible and very serious about her work. And ON TIME (yes it is a serious issue when you are in Island time) she made me feel like a queen. Will suggest looking at her page. If you like what you see she is your girl. She did a messy updo with orchids and I LOVED IT. The makeup I thought it was too much for my taste but I followed her advice and the pictures came out great. I can only point out the eyeliner wasn’t apply straight and the hair kind of fall out thru the event….but it was a messy updo anyways and the makeup lasted all night!
• Cake: Based on reviews, went with by my own.
• Flowers: Didn’t have much, the view is gorgeous and it just doesn’t need much.
• Resort: Based on reviews, stayed at another place.
• Photographer: Based on reviews went with my own… Gio Camacho, enjoi photo… you will not find a better price for the quality of work. He did natural pictures and I LOVED IT. I’ve included some.
• Reverend “Francisco”: Yes, will recommend him. Super difficult to get hold of him to the point of being concern. Once we got in touch it was simple, he knows what is doing exactly. He even asked about dress code.

Wedding event
The event went well, Diana even made sure there were no guests in the area for the time of the ceremony (that I think was beyond her duties). The event started behind schedule, not sure why but would’ve loved that it didn’t. It made a difference to take advantage of the day light for the pictures and also how the sun was on our faces while the ceremony at the gazebo was taking place. I will say I was in a room with ac and didn’t mind but can’t say the same about my guests. At the end wasn’t a big deal and it work out fine. The setup was gorgeous, the weather to die for ..just perfect. The setting discussed was very nice; they know what they are doing. Diana is excellent. Only thing was the table I rather not have because it obstruct the stunning view, and I actually mentioned it in the contact. By the time I realize it was there I was walking down. When dinner time came it also took a long time, part of it because they will not take the order unless everybody is sitting down and I’m ok with that, it took us longer to get everybody. But salad and soup was a given, we shouldn’t have to wait that long for it…it think. Anyways the food was excellent, taste and presentation…only catch there was no appetizer for the kids. The waiters were awesome, need to give them all the credit. The drinks phenomenal, they know their stuff!
When cake time came everything was ready and everyone enjoyed it. But when the event was about to finished I asked directly to Mara (the other wedding planner) for takealong and my guests left without it. Only when I directly asked a waiter something happen. The fire pit was nice, since it gets very dark and there is little light and also because it give some warmth (not that you need it in PR  ) but it only lasted a couple of minutes and it wasn’t brought back (almost a waste of money). Finally the only two things I will add is the lack of guidance for guests on where the event was taking place, especially because none of us were staying at the Resort and the ants, yes the ants…sting like hell and were all over the lawn. Hope this review can help you make a decision. I’m a very detailed person and wished some of the reviews where as detailed, but don’t get mistaken, I would definitely recommend it especially if you are working with Diana, if it is with Mara…good luck, the girl is a little bit lost.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Diana C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isabela
12.2 km away
Rincon Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in Anasco
108.8 km away
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to Villa Montana Beach Resort? Share your experiences!