“Chintzy, not so cheap anymore!”
Review of Dunlop Motel

Dunlop Motel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Goderich
Reviewed 21 June 2017

New owners took over a couple of years ago. The place is well kept. Nice manicured lawns. Friendly staff. The place seemed reasonably clean aside from the stray pubes I found in the bathroom. The rooms are not that cheap anymore. We paid $120/night. The motel is usually full and this year it was only half full. The room is fairly large and comes equipped with a bar fridge, microwave, tv, couches, two queen beds, and an ac unit. The place is quiet. The free wifi is not very good. Actually it was unusable. I ended up switching over to 3G to get reliable speeds. I'm not sure why the internet was so horrendous because I did a speedtest and found it to be quite fast (28mbps down, 5mbps up).

The owners were chintzy on the toilet paper. I felt like we had to ration what we had. We weren't given a full roll of toilet paper to start with and were only given one extra roll. By the time the night was over, our toilet paper was down to the last few sheets. The next day, same thing. One roll of toilet paper. Really? Can you not afford to put two or three rolls of toilet paper in the room? Are you worried someone might steal it? I can't believe I'm complaining about toilet paper. Never in all of my reviews have I ever done so.

The floor was wet near the door. I believe there must be a leaking pipe underneath because the rest of the place was dry. The ceiling looked a little rough with the cracks and paint touch up marks. A fresh coat of paint could help.

Overall, the stay was ok. It's what you'd expect from a motel.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 June 2017 via mobile

Enjoyed spending the night at this awesome and super clean motel. The management and crew do a great job in taking care of the motel and grounds plus they are very respectful, helpful and friendly as well.

Stayed: June 2017
Reviewed 31 October 2016 via mobile

145.00 for a night...basic road side motel. 4 family members not enough towel. Toilet was broken no hair dryer. Nothing around about 10 minute drive into town.
Owner wad nice but do to an accident on the highway we arrived around 7:30 and he was kind of pissy. We spoke on the phone and told him we would be late.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2016

We had a 2 bed queen room and enjoyed the size of it. We have stayed here before and have always enjoyed our stay. The water pressure was not to great in the mornings for showering and the air conditioner seemed a little to small to cool our room enough.

Room Tip: Be sure you take a blow dryer as there are no in the rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2016

My wife and I booked a king-sized bed room, which was incredibly small--yet it somehow worked. I understand the rooms with 2 double beds are larger. It didn't really matter, though. Everything worked and was clean and comfortable. The owners Mike and Julie were gracious hosts and very accommodating. A short, pleasant drive from downtown Goderich, the Dunlop Motel is affordable and welcoming.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple