“Delightfully Memorable Stay at a Natchez Hidden Gem” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Elms Bed and Breakfast

The Elms Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #16 of 41 Natchez B&B and Inns
arkansas
“Delightfully Memorable Stay at a Natchez Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2010

What a wonderful experience. We have just returned from a family retreat from our beloved Natchez, where we had the delightful opportunity to spend 3 nights at this rather quaint B&B. Have stayed at several throughout the Natchez area, and have found this one to be our favorite. Esther is the perfect hostess. We were welcomed with a glass of complimentary wine followed each morning with the most delicious southern breakfast each morning. The rooms are rustically charming and clean, with spacious and updated bath, plush towels, and incredibly soft bed linens. Each evening we returned to find our beds turned down and a sumptuous treat awaiting us. The location is excellent, and within walking distance of many of the historic sites which draw us to the area. We had such an incredible experience, that we plan to return soon with our daughters for cooking classes where we hope to glean some of Esther's culinary secrets. (Her grits and pancakes are to die for)

Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank ArkansasLovetotravel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2010

Lovely B&B with loads of history! It was a very romantic and cozy atmosphere with delicious breakfast and the cleanest room I have ever stayed in. (I think Ester starches the sheets!) I would definitely recommend the Elms to couples who need a relaxing getaway! I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank JSTravellerUsa
Reading, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2010

The Elms is wonderful. Yes, the bed was squeaky, as noted above, but there is another bedroom in that suite with two separate beds so don't know why they didn't move. I did, and it was fine.

Esther is a lovely person and brought me wine after I arrived & then invited us down for a late night cup of soup that was the best thing I've ever tasted.

Breakfasts there are magnificent -- you barely need to eat the rest of the day.

I sat on the porch with coffee each morning and luxuriated in the sights and smells of Natchez. The flowers are so fragrant this time of year. When I had to finally leave the Elms and Natchez, I was so sad.

You must stay here if you have the chance, squeaky bed or not. :)

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MissMudpie
Lexington, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2009

I found The Elms quite by accident when the B&B where I had reservations suffered a water pipe burst and recommended The Elms as an alternative. The house is delightfully eccentric, having grown out of a six room, two and a half story 1804 townhouse. The back porches were enclosed, new porches added, and then another building added and connected to the original house by enclosing the connecting porches. This gives the house a wonderfully comfortable feel so unlike houses with regular, formal architecture. Also unlike most houses in the downtown area of Natchez, it has a large front yard that gives it an air of privacy and old world charm. My room, the Kellogg, was the original second floor parlor in the 1804 house. The baths have all been completely redone with all new fixtures and an eye to luxury, down to the thick towels. I had a very spacious shower and separate claw foot soaking tub. Aside from the new bath (and all the baths are new, as I saw on the house tour), everything else is furnished in antiques. I found everything spotlessly clean, far better than I find in even new hotels. Ms Esther, the current and fifth generation to own The Elms, is an artist in her own right, interesting conversationalist, and has a good eye for detail. It isn't often one finds a trained, experienced butler these days, but William is the real thing. They served me a hot breakfast both mornings, consisting of eggs, grits, bacon, fruit, and biscuits (I watched Ms Esther roll and cut the biscuits the first morning). The Elms is a new B&B, having just opened in February 2009, and is still a work in progress. With all new baths, wiring, and HVAC, the guest rooms are in good order while work continues on the exterior. I'm told some have seen the exterior in its partially restored state and gone elsewhere, which is really their loss as Ms Esther is a great hostess and the guest rooms ready for even the most discriminating guest.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank jewettkw
New Orleans, LA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2009

We were referred to The Elms by Oak Hill Plantation (Oak Hill was full for Labor Day Weekend). William was very friendly on the phone and took down my name & number (no credit card info to reserve the room). I called back to request a vegetarian breakfast. Esther (proprietress) was very accommodating and even bought us soy-based yogurt and milk from Whole Foods. (Non-vegetarians were served eggs & bacon.)

Our room (Drake) was on the 2nd story - consisting of a very nicely appointed and modern bathroom, a separate room containing two single beds, and another room containing a four-poster queen bed and a huge flat panel TV with satellite service.
The house is a big, rambling, multi-room 100+ year old structure in various stages of remodeling/repair. The house has been in Esther's family for generations upon generations. There is antique furniture everywhere, and small nicknacks for sale are on display. We got a tour of the whole house from William, who also knew quite a bit of the history and construction of the structure.

The only reasons that are preventing me from giving it 5 stars out of 5 are: (1) something in the room made me sneeze - I'm guessing mold? (2) our bed was terribly squeaky and kept us up all night as we tossed and turned to find a comfortable position.

Otherwise, the house is gorgeous, the hostess is gracious, the breakfast is delicious (although nothing extraordinary - fruits, juice, coffee/tea, milk, oatmeal, homemade biscuits), the location is very convenient to downtown Natchez & riverfront, and the property is very quiet. The Elms is relatively new to the B&B market in Natchez (just opened in Feb '09) but it's hard to imagine this house as being anything but a B&B.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple