“Yummy fajitas... marinated flank steak”
Review of The Cantina

Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Camino Alto
Description: The Cantina is located in Mill Valley, California and is specialized in Mexican cuisine.
Reviewed 22 May 2017 via mobile

Wish you were here to share it with me.
The dos xx was a perfect accompanying drink.... way too much to eat for just one person.

Reviewed 19 May 2017

In my adult youth of the 80's and 90's, The Cantina was a popular watering hole with a vibrant swinging singles bar which scored well among Marin's top five places to drink; and as an afterthought, a better than average place to eat -- especially for those with an appetite for easily recognizable Americanized Mexican food.

There was an energy and excitement about the place that often made the bar/cocktail lounge the first and last stop in and out of this restaurant. The main exception was with Friday lunch which frequently began with a picture(s) of margaritas to ease the guilt of not getting back to work on time.

Now the atmosphere is much more sedate. Often the loudest overheard voices are of parents admonishing children to be too noisy or disturb other patrons. In getting to our table, we frequently see the same relatively small bar is the loneliest place in the building. On a busy day the cocktail lounge and patron waiting area is about equal in competition for customers.

I don't know that the food now is any better or worse than "in the good old days". To me, it seems more bland and lacking in that pizzazz that makes dining out more fun. Maybe that's just because my tastebuds have not been so tantalized with libations from one, or two, or three hours at the bar. Or, maybe its because I'm just more concerned with whether "the kids" will like and eat what they order, or that the grandkids will leave too much of a debris field when we leave. Either way, when measured against the stiff competition from the one-size-fits-all chains of pre-packaged Mexican restaurants, there is no question on the issues of "service" and overall "quality of the food". The Cantina still wins, hands down!

Reviewed 13 May 2017

We went here for a family dinner. There were six of us, including two children. We arrived around 6:00 and were seated quickly. As the evening went along, it became crowded, so reservations are recommended. We were given chips and salsa while we waited on our meals. The chips were hot and delicious. The salsa was a mild spice. Portions are large. The menu has a lot of variety. Everyone really liked their choices. The wait staff was very attentive. Audience was more local than tourist.

Reviewed 23 March 2017 via mobile

A big place, well laid out for family dining. Nice, bustling atmosphere. Complimentary chips first were warm & tasty. We had enchiladas, tacos, quesadillas. All were about average Mexican. Service is very good (you could be in/out in 30 minutes if you want), but you can also linger. Selection of beers fine, and my wife's glass of sangria was excellent. Outdoor dining available. Price very reasonable. Had stuff to entertain our young grandkids. Can't go far wrong here, particularly with kids.

Reviewed 21 February 2017

I was there with my sister and brother-in-law for dinner tonight. I had their El rozza (sp?) Con Pollo for dinner tonight. it was wonderful!