“Nice attraction -- worth a trip” 4 of 5 bubbles

National Presidential Wax Museum
Ranked #5 of 21 things to do in Keystone
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Where History Hails the Chief Located in the shadow of Mount Rushmore in the historic town of Keystone, the National Presidential Wax Museum is an impressive highlight on any traveler's itinerary. Featuring the works of world-famous wax artist Katherine Stubergh, the National Presidential Wax Museum features over 100 life-size wax sculptures of some of the most iconic figures in American history. We invite you to witness the history of American Democracy from its inception. Also featuring: State of the art narration system for each visitor to the museum. Historic artifacts including President Bill Clinton's own red, white, and blue saxophone (courtesy of the National Music Museum) and Florida's controversial ballot boxes from the 2000 presidential election. A spacious gift shop with fun, quirky gifts that can't be found anywhere else in Keystone. Exhibit featuring the original oil paintings of the famed illustrator and painter Harvey Dunn.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Nice attraction -- worth a trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

We took the family (kids 11 and 9) to the Presidential Wax Museum and found it to be a nice attraction. We took advantage of the fact that with your receipt from the Mt Rushmore KOA you could get one free admission to the Wax Museum which helped. My oldest son is VERY much into reading about the Presidents and he absolutely loved this museum. They have audio wands that you take through the museum with you and it gives a lot of interesting information on the various presidents. Even my wife and I and my mother-in-law enjoyed it.

Visited August 2011
1 Thank jd91

Davenport, IA
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Eerie, but cool (as stated by my teenage daughter)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

Our daughter had one life-long desire (okay 16 years worth anyway) for this vacation & it was to see a wax museum. This was perfect--educational and entertaining!

Visited June 2011
1 Thank mccrearyacres
Omaha, Nebraska
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Overpriced and rude”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

I was very excited to go to this museum. Last year I tried to go but it was closed even though the website said it was open for the season. Needless to say, it was a huge waste of time. I had high expectations which were not met.

Throughout the museum, I noticed mistakes in the exhibits. When an employee asked what I thought, I told her that Custer did not look like that during 1876 and Betsy Ross did not actually make the flag. She became extremely rude and told me that everything we learn in high school history is wrong. this bothered me because I explained that I didn't want to nitpick because it seemed like small things but also that I'm currently working on my Master's in History. I thought the employee's reaction was added to an already unimpressive visit. Instead of purchasing anything, we left in a hurry.

2 Thank Smalls24us
St. Louis
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“So glad we went to this attraction”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2010

this was our first trip to wax museum...there were 10 of us in all. The adults and teenagers enjoyed it more than the smaller kids, but everyone could move at their own pace. The handheld audio was helpful. I would have liked it better if it flowed consistently in chronological order. We all learned a lot and the wax figures were amazing. The facility is very nice. If you go before 11am it is $5 per person (half price.) Nice people and nice gift shop at the end.

Northern California
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“You know it will be a little cheesy....but still!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2010

Keystone, SD is town built on cheese. Pretty much everything is tourist oriented. It is a garish place for anyone with refined taste, however fun can still be had in a place like this. We were touring the Black Hills area and needed something to do while a summer thunderstorm blew through, so we dropped in.

The exhibit really does try to present some interesting and factual historical content along with the wax figures. Each customer carries a wand that allows you to listen to information about each exhibit on a personal basis (or skip it as well). Nicely done, actually.

Only adults or kids really interested in history would find the museum to be entertaining. My wife and I thought it was OK, my kids (10 & 14) were bored to tears. However they are also old enough to be patient so we could make it through, they made the best of it. Do not bring kids in here expecting them to learn anything or to really enjoy it.

Some of the wax figures are done quite well, and some are done horribly. I would say it was more good than bad. But the bad ones were really bad. If you go, make sure you check out Jackie O near the end to test out my review...terrible!

I can't highly recommend it, but if you need to waste some time and you don't have kids then it might be worth stopping by. Anyone who gives this place a 5 star review needs to get out more.

2 Thank Traveller_From_CA