All reviews hot tub small family coffee maker dining table sized bed small cabin pots and pans short drive national park labyrinth woods bears trail retreat fireplace wedding lodge
Reviewed 2 January 2017

My wife and I stayed for two nights a year prior and rented one of the luxury cabins. We enjoyed our stay but found it weird that no one was available. Since we enjoyed our stay prior we decided to book two nights at one of the luxury cabins again this year. We were only able to get one night so we decided to go with that and booked it. Upon arriving near check in time we found the cabin was not cleaned from the night prior and was told by housekeeping that someone else had the cabin we booked for an additional night. The night we had booked! We were told to call the manager on the phone provided at the bulletin board where you pick up your keys. As mentioned prior by other guests no one is on site other than some helpers. This resulted in us having to turn around and drive back home since we had no place to stay. There is no internet service or cell service at this location so we expected a return call when we got to Elbe approximately 15 miles away. No one called. We left additional e-mails and attempted calling. As I am writing this it is three hours past check in with still no response. They had sent us e-mail confirmation and billed our credit card. They had no problem taking our money but had no interest in even explaining what happened and trying to help make it right. Personally anyone who books a stay here is taking a big gamble that you even have a room when you arrive. If you have any problems you will not get help! Now we have a fight on our hands to get refunded. This place is run by irresponsible management don't take the risk!

Date of stay: December 2016
8  Thank patrickobermire
Reviewed 23 October 2016

The hotel itself is tucked away in a quiet place off one of the main roads out of Mt. Rainier National Park. The cabin we had was spacious and could have accommodated another two people easily. The room was clean and came with a full kitchen. The problem we had is that there was no way to communicate with anyone once we got there. Our cell phones did not work, there was no phone in the room to call out, and there was no traditional desk to contact if there was a problem. In fact we never saw any hotel staff the entire time we were there. If one of us had gotten seriously ill, I don't know how we could have gotten help other than to flag down a car on the main road.

Date of stay: September 2016
3  Thank Chalerya2015
Reviewed 4 October 2016

Wellspring is a gem in Mount Rainier. We stayed in Turiya with the Zen Garden. The room was perfect size and nice. I do agree to some other reviewer's that the bed needs an update. The Zen garden was truly relaxing. If you are looking for a place to unwind this is a perfect room. The hot tub is free to use after 9 pm if you stay in Turiya! We also had massages in the Woodland spa and it was awesome. Play some nature music, and just unwind. We did explore the Labyrinth, which feels very sacred.

Check-in was easy with clear instructions. There are couple of restaurants and grocery shops nearby. Just make sure you go for dinner no later than 8 pm. Weekdays they close at 8.

Date of stay: September 2016
2  Thank NishNat
Reviewed 7 September 2016

We have stayed at a number of other properties in Ashford over the years, and both lodges in the park, and thought we would try this for a change. If I were to rate our stay as it was, it would have been rated lower, but the place seems cute so I am going with 3 stars, as I think the other room choices could be good and next time it could get 5...so I averaged 3 in hopes it is better. Weird way to rate the place I know, but I really think it could be a great choice if you get the right cabin.

It appears that each room is VERY different, some deep in the dark woods, close to one another, others with a bit of sun and with space. One is a treehouse, looks cute but hard to haul all your gear up the tree I would guess? Some might have outdoor chairs and a deck or area to sit, ours didn't. I would highly recommend calling to discuss the details of the rooms to determine which might fit your needs, clarifying outdoor chairs, especially the proximity to other people/cabins/hot tubs, and housekeeping and kitchen facilities.

We had Turiya (last minute change at their request), and I did not check the details closely enough and was not pleased with the room. Yes, it is a small but cute room, comfortable mattress, and a lovely rock garden/soothing pond just outside the sliding glass doors (and your bed) but what they do not explain is that the public hot tub is about 18 ft from your bed, on the other side of the little pond! NOTE: The hot tub can be rented by other guests until 9pm! While it mentions that the tub is yours after 9, it does not explain that the hot tub is basically in your pond area, right outside the sliding glass door of your small room at the foot of your bed! That meant one night we had a family with 2 kids soaking right outside our bedroom until 9pm! I really felt like we were in a fish bowl, intruding on their tub and they intruding in our room! It was hot in August, so we didn't want to close up the room, and there was nowhere outside to sit, so we used our iPhone to play some soft music to "shield" them from us, and us from them. The next night, people were also there till 9, and while both parties tried to be quiet, it was very uncomfortable. The bamboo reed room shades can be closed, and the tub has some shielding also, so the hot-tubbers cannot see clearly 100% into your room, but it certainly isn't an ideal arrangement, especially with your room lights on!

Small nits: Perhaps we missed something, but there was no dish soap to wash our dishes. There was a microwave, and a couple plates/cups, but the bathroom sink was the only sink and no way to wash up and dry dishes without dish soap. Maybe we were supposed to bring our own? Luckily we only had cinnamon rolls and coffee. We thought perhaps housekeeping would leave us some soap when they saw the dirty dishes, but no housekeeping came during our two-night stay. I may also have missed info on the website that there is no daily housekeeping, so that might be my fault, and maybe when setting up the room before we checked in, housekeeping just didn't notice the dish soap was gone? I really want to like this place!

We likely will try it again, but opt for one of the cabins with a bit of privacy and some sunlight, a deck or chairs outside, and after carefully reviewing the specs of each room and the service/kitchen situation.

Date of stay: August 2016
8  Thank Cheryl S
Reviewed 14 August 2016

This was a quite remote cabin “motel.” I had two cell phones on two different carriers. I couldn’t get cell phone reception on either phone. Print the directions to the Wellsping. I was using Google Maps on my iPhone to find Wellspring and when I lost my cell phone reception, I lost my directions to Wellspring. Thankfully, I was able to get directions to Wellspring from a clerk at a small store in Ashford, WA. This lodging did not have internet access nor did it have land line phones. I stayed for two nights and during that time I saw one other person on the grounds. The check in process was mostly conducted over the internet prior to arrival. I made a reservation for the Tuolumne Cabin and paid by credit card. When I arrived, there was a bulletin board with my name on an envelope with the cabin key. The cabin was clean and cozy. There were two over-sized reading chairs and a reading lamp. The bed was comfortable. There was a wood burning stove in the cabin. There was firewood provided. Check the wood box for fire starters. My stay here was very relaxing. I stayed here while visiting Mount Rainier National Park. If you plan to stay here, notify people in advance that you will be out of touch. There was a pay phone in Ashford and you could buy a phone card at the gas station in Ashford.

Date of stay: September 2015