See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 July 2018 via mobile

Basic 3* Hotel in good town centre location near Shops Pubs & Restaurants.We have stayed before and with its uneven walls,floors and ceilings it is different from your modern hotels - so don’t expect A/C or drink fridges you do get tea & coffee facilities TV & WiFi. Rooms are a good size our beds were comfortable and with its thick walls we didn’t hear the other guests or the rumoured ghost!.

Reviewed 23 July 2018 via mobile

Worst hotel I've ever stayed in. Here for family funeral so not exactly a leisure trip. Booked as convenient in town centre. No one in reception on arrival another guest told me where to find the owner. Bare foot she showed us our rooms. No towels no toilet roll. Had to ask for extra pillows a fan as the room was like a furnace and a hair dryer which there was only one. Fire door clearly marked as one wedged open with screwdriver. Booked for 2 nights. Not staying 2nd night. The place is a deathtrap. I'd rather sleep on a park bench. Rating as a 1 is too much

1  Thank annewatt59
Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

My dad booked two rooms for me and my husband and him self for a party near by, we arrived around 2 to be told we could check in till 3, but which my dad stated that the England was kicking off at 3, we were told we could leave our things there and come back after the game which we did. While my husband was having a shower to get ready to go to the party he was having a conversation with me and went to shut the shower door and as he did it shattered all over and he was left with the handle in his hand, we reported this straight away the bloke who works there tried to say my partner was being heavy handed, and they would swap our rooms! Which they did, our next room was at the very top and couple of flights of stairs later! If your going for a night out in Bishop Stortford and just need a place to get your head down this will do I didn’t find the staff very friendly as all! I would not recommend this to families! They noise from out side was awful!

1  Thank Ruth E
Reviewed 3 July 2018 via mobile

When the doors close they don't lock unless you put the key card next to it and it goes red, but if and that is an if the room gets "cleaned" by cleaned I mean the bed gets made and the bin emptied the room will be unlocked again, so don't leave anything in the room you'd mind having stolen

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank miss_nat1981
Reviewed 2 July 2018 via mobile

Bishops Stortford is a lovely town, with lots going for it... green spaces, nice shops (not just all the usual franchises and chains either), plenty of restaurants and bars and generally pretty friendly vibe.
Unfortunately there aren’t that many hotels to choose from, and being right in the heart of the action you’d think The George Hotel would take full advantage of its great location and monopoly on accommodation.
But sadly this hotel is just a dump.
Dirty rooms where nothing works (light bulbs, tv, shower, toilet flush) and curtains which seem to suck light from the sky and beam it back into the room.
Don’t stay here, even if you’re desperate. Go Air BnB, or failing that just sleep on a park bench instead.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo