“Great crab cakes....”

Rod's Steak And Seafood Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
Rod's Steak And Seafood Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 173 Restaurants in Morristown
Price range: USD 60 - USD 100
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Madison Avenue
Transit: New Jersey Transit Trains and Bus at our doorstep. Convent Station New Jersey
Description: Welcome to New Jersey's Legendary Steak HouseRod's Steak & Seafood Grille, an area landmark and winner of New Jersey Monthly's 'Best Steakhouse' award, offers breakfast, lunch and dinner daily as well as the finest Sunday Brunch in New Jersey. The restaurant's rich wood paneling and highly polished brass, lends a classic elegance to the sophisticated atmosphere. For an intimate and unique experience, dinner aboard the private Parlour Cars is sure to be remembered. Formerly the private domain of the rich and famous, these beautifully refurbished, turn of the century railway cars are exquisitely complimented by the haute cuisine of Rod's esteemed Executive Chef.
Reviewed 23 August 2018 via mobile

I ate here with a group for a business dinner. I had crab bisque, Caesar salad, crab cakes and creme brûlée. The bisque was ok, the salad very good and the crab cakes were excellent! There was a lot of large chunks of crab meat. The creme brûlée was ok but there is an odd flavor to it. I couldn’t figure out what it was. We had a larger group and I thought the service was good. I would go here again...

Reviewed 18 August 2018

High end restaurant in the Madison Hotel, very good menu, great food, great wine list albeit a bit pricey. This is in a very old structure so it has that old musty smell in some spots. I swear my booth had such a musty smell it mimicked what an unclean bar bathroom would smell like. They should do something about that. However, restaurant is really good so I'd go back, just sit somewhere else next time.

Date of visit: August 2018
TheKellerFamily, General Manager at Rod's Steak And Seafood Grille, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2018

Thank you for your feedback, I will certainly address this situation.
thanks again, hope to see you soon
Jerry

Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

Very good food! Amazing service! Great waiter!
Always good to go back! You cannot do anything wrong there!

Reviewed 7 August 2018

My family loves buffet brunches for special occasions, so we brought my in-laws to celebrate their anniversary. My husband had made a reservation on Open Table, and were seated immediately. But after sitting down, we noticed we were missing 3 table settings. I did not understand why we only had 4 table settings when our reservation was for 7 (?). This should have tipped us off as to the quality of service we were to receive. We were offered coffee and juice, but no brunch cocktails. No problem. Probably did not need that Mimosa anyway!

The restaurant looks old and dark, and the buffet stations are set up in a very crowded area so that it was a tight squeeze to walk past people who are filling up their plates. The offerings are plentiful, and the beef sirloin in wine/mushroom sauce was delicious. No one seemed interested in the carving station of turkey breast and ham. The salad station and smoked salmon/lox station were also tasty with a lot of variety. The entree table was a tight fit, and people who did not know where to place the serving spoons laid them right on the tablecloth/napkin next to the chafing pans, making for a messy, unappealing table and serving utensils. My hand was gross after I used a spoon that had been laid on the dirty linens. The dessert table was not replenished so that there were a few empty stands with me just wondering what I had missed. Even the whipped cream bowl was empty, although it led me to the rum sauce in the bowl next to it and I could have put that sauce on everything on my dessert plate!

Back at the table, no one refilled my coffee after I drank 1 cup. Again, I probably did not need that second cup, right? One of the servers refilled water glasses, but finished the pitcher while filling my daughter's glass only 1/3 full. He never returned with more water, and when he left the table with the empty pitcher (I thought to refill it, but was wrong apparently), he also left 2 dirty buffet dishes on the table even though we were clearly done with them (they were sitting in the middle of the table because no one had cleared them). The restaurant seemed either understaffed or the staff present were not well-trained. We were very disappointed, and are not likely to return. I expected so much more for The Madison Hotel, and the cost of the buffet was more than what we got in terms of service and value.

Reviewed 24 July 2018 via mobile

Boyfriend and I completely enjoyed our experience this past Saturday. We sat at a booth tucked away in the corner which was perfect. The Chilean sea bass was excellent, steak was cooked perfectly. Service was on point. The little anniversary cake at the end was a really nice touch. Would definitely go there again!

Date of visit: July 2018