“This Could Have Been Excellent!”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Ranked #16 of 95 Restaurants in Cromer
Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Red Lion hotel, bar and restaurant has a history dating back to 1766 when the inn was first built. Today we offer fresh, local produce, fine Norfolk ales, and 15 en suite rooms.
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Okay... why ''Terrible''? Let me give the good points, first. Super location, and great staff, and friendly, attentive service. We had the sea food platter and lasagne and a beer and wine. The food is very good, not fine dining, more cosy and comforting. A tad over priced, as were the beer and wine, with the latter a lot of money! I don't quite get it with wine, but there we are. There seems to be a bit of a confusion with this venue, as whilst it seems to have a great mix of locals, using the pub area, there was, when we were there, far too many children, and worse still, children shouting, and treating the pub and lounge areas with total disrespect for the adults in the building. I suspect, as we looked at one table, with two pairs of adults and around for or five children, the fault lies with the parents, just not taking control and seemingly thinking that 'their' kids should be allowed to shout, scream and take over. To be fair, we eaves dropped on two of the nosiest kids who kept saying, ''Please, can we go now!'' And yet the adults, just carried on drinking, and almost disregarding the fact they had an unruly mob with them. This is really not fair to customers who treat the pub/restaurant, as a treat, and as with most pubs, and adult treat! Surely, when licensing laws changed, there was the stipulation that children should be adequately supervised and so, too, the adults taking them in to an establishment designed for adults, with alcohol. It seems, sadly, there are many adults, who just don't care, and as with the Red Lion, staff and management who should be doing more to point out that all guests, whether adult or child, should not shout, scream and disrupt the enjoyment of others. Maybe it is time, Red Lion management, to have a family room, away from the bar and lounge and restaurant, maybe the conservatory? Or the rear room, and bar children from the adult areas? It is obvious that there are issues, and really until they are addressed, we probably won't return. Oh, and before the management jump in and say, ''It must have been Easter'', it was before this, and we have been in before, as a couple and with friends, and it is often the same, but, fo course, far worse during school holidays, when, quite frankly, we avoid this venue... sadly.

KirstyAbraham, General Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2018

Thank you for leaving a review following your visit to The Red Lion, Cromer.

I am pleased you enjoyed your meals and you found the staff to be friendly and attentive.

I am disappointed to see that despite your positive comments you have only given us 1 out of 5 stars due to children being allowed in our public areas. As a team, if we feel children are being disruptive, we will talk to parents if required. Had your comments been mentioned to a Duty Manager on shift we would have been able to rectify your issues raised at the time of your visit.

It is a shame that you feel you probably will not return if children are allowed in our bar, lounge and restaurant areas, however this is something we will not be changing as we are a family friendly hotel.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,033)

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Visited for lunch on Easter Sunday just the two of us, friendly atmosphere everyone seemed to be relaxed. I had the vegetable lasagne and it was served in a shallow dish, which meant it wasn’t sloppy, flavours were just right best one I’ve had for a long time. My partner had the seafood platter and he really enjoyed the different flavours. He commented on how the portion size was just right. Staff all friendly and attentive, will definitely return.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant

Thank you for leaving a review following your Sunday lunch The Red Lion, Cromer.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

We frequent the Red Lion regularly when visiting Cromer and the beer, service, atmosphere and food are consistently excellent. The choice of beers is great, the choice of spirits is bewildering! We enjoyed Sunday lunch here this time and whilst the main course was fine I must make mention of the seafood chowder. To say it was fantastic is an understatement, creamy, big chunks of fish, flavoursome and totally hearty. Give me a big bowl of that with some crusty bread and I’ll be a happy man. We’ll be back really soon, keep it on the menu!

I am pleased you enjoyed our selection of local ales and spirits and you found the food to be fantastic!

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Had heard great reports about the Red Lion and we weren't disappointed. Unfortunately our 1st menu choice was unavailable through circumstances outside their control but the alternative was delicious and plentiful. Accompanied by a great selection of beers this is a great place to visit. Especially if you're a dog owner as dogs are made welcome too.
Fantastic visit. Thanks for the ale recommendation too.

KirstyAbraham, General Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Thank you for leaving a review following your visit to The Red Lion, Cromer.

I am pleased you enjoyed our selection of local ales and you enjoyed your meals.

I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

We went with some friends for lunch. Gin and local ales are lovely.

We had the Hog Roast and were not disappointed as really tasty.

The pint of the Nelson was lovely. It has a mix of a bar and restaurant dining area.

A lovely visit.

KirstyAbraham, General Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2018

Thank you for leaving a review following your lunch at The Red Lion, Cromer.

I am pleased you enjoyed our selection of local ales and gins and you found your hog roast to be really tasty!

I hope to welcome you back again soon.