All reviews sea view stair lift shared bathroom family room top floor full english single bed flat screen tv first floor one night stay breakfast was excellent tea and coffee sea front would stay again town centre bed was comfortable short break
Reviewed 18 November 2016 via mobile

I am reviewing on behalf of my mother, who stayed last night and doesn't do technology herself:

Booked for one night to break a journey, prior to going to a holiday cottage today. I did read the less than favourable reviews but felt for one night, I could cope and it was in the area I wanted to stay.

I have to say that I don't know what the negative reviewers are talking about! On arrival, a very pleasant lady carried my bag to my room, without being asked (I have a walking stick), offered me the use of a Stanna Stairlift and told me to ask one of the staff in the morning to carry my bag down again. The room was lovely, very clean and warm. The bed was two 3 foot singles zipped together, giving a huge bed that was extremely comfortable, you certainly could not feel the join. Six pillows plus cushions on the bed. Large towels and toiletries provided in the private bathroom were a lovely addition. The shower was nice and hot, possibly the shower head was a little clogged with chalk but that's unavoidable in this area (I used to live locally) and certainly wasn't a problem. I had an excellent night (much better than the previous night in a Travel Lodge, where I asked for a refund).

Breakfast this morning was extremely good value for money. For just under £6, I was able to help myself to as much fresh fruit, yoghurt, tea, coffee and fruit juice as I wanted. I asked for toast and marmalade to go with this (3 slices received, in a toast rack) and was told that I could have eggs on toast as well within that price if I wanted. I am very fussy about fried eggs, I like them hard, so explained this to the very pleasant young girl who was serving. She reappeared in due course with not one (as I expected) but two eggs, cooked to perfection. They were clearly very fresh and I could not have cooked them so beautifully myself.

All in all, I would consider this to have been excellent value for money and I would strongly recommend it. Lovely staff, lovely room, lovely food. I could not have asked for better and would certainly come again. If I could give more than 5 stars, I would.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
Hugh G, Owner at Sandcliff Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2016

Dear Jenni,

Thank you so much for your kind review, it was an absolute pleasure to have your mother stay with us and I very pleased to hear she enjoyed herself. I will pass on your kind comments to our staff.

I hope you all enjoy the rest of your holiday and we hope to have you back to stay in the future.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 16 November 2016

We only booked that morning to stay for one night only - through booking.com - and arrived about 2.00pm. We were met with a very friendly welcome and our room was ready. The room was spacious, comfortable and more than adequate for one night. The bed was comfortable although slightly smaller than we prefer.

The breakfast in the morning was excellent and plentiful. My "Full English" was cooked to perfection. Service was quick - but the guest house was far from full.

The guest house is brilliantly placed on the seafront and within easy walking distance of the town, pier and promenade. There was plenty of parking both on the guest house frontage and in the immediate vicinity, accepting of course that this was November and a wet November at that.

We enjoyed our stay at the Sandcliff Guest House and if we need to overnight in Cromer again - this will be our first choice.

Room Tip: Get a sea view if you can.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Hugh G, Owner at Sandcliff Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2016

Dear Mr Ascot,

I am really pleased to hear your enjoyed your stay here and thank you for your lovely review, we look forward to welcome you back in the future!

All the best,

Reviewed 13 November 2016 via mobile

Room with a view yes nice. Room clean. Shower looked newish but went from hot to cold unregulated, exposed halogen light directly above shower sure that's dangerous. We did go out about 11.30 am first morning but came back to room not cleaned no replenish of loo paper, towels or tea coffee shock etc dispite us putting the ok to clean etc sign out on door. Room just about warm once we put the electric rad on in room full up and left on as no central heating. Bed comfortable but a tiny double but clean and I looked under all the sheets etc so well done good newish matress and clean. Bar not open and whole place souless. Welcome ok nice man but nothing amazing. Checked out gave in keys no niceaties like even ' hope everything was ok?' Or even thanks for staying with us etc just a non verbal transaction and barely a smile . Not good enough for £ 141 for two nights with no breakfast either and so out of season. Never mind will not be back.

Dear Nunky1

Thank you very much for leaving us a review.

I am sorry that you felt that the Sandcliff was of poor value, we do offer saver rates this month for as little as £49.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the view over Cromer seaside, it's a favourite! I am really sorry to hear about the shower, there is clearly a problem and I confirm this has now been fixed. Thank you for letting us know.

In terms of the room not being cleaned, we have a policy of not disturbing guests to service rooms and our housekeepers finish between 11.30-12.00 and they may well have gone by the time you left.

In regards to the beds, all our beds are standard size doubles or larger, not tiny. However, I am pleased you found these comfortable and that you looked under the sheets to check the matress etc, I feel we passed the four in a bed test!

We do not have a bar as this is a Guest House and not a Hotel.

I can only apologise for the lack of customer service that you received, this is something we feel strongly about and a smile and polite questions would not have gone a miss.

We hope you will consider us again and if you would like to book again, please contact myself directly.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 10 November 2016 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for 4 nights recently in triple room 12 on the first floor with 3 big windows overlooking the sea. The room was well furnished, clean and comfortable. We paid for a breakfast every morning and it was perfect. Cereals, fresh fruit, full english cooked to order, tea and toast. All the staff were very friendly and the room and breakfast were excellent value. We will stay again in the future.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your lovely review! We very much look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

All the best for now.

Reviewed 6 November 2016 via mobile

Very disapointed from the start, booked on bookin.com as a Hotel to discover it was only a guest house.

We booked a double room only to arrive and find they were fully booked and only had a twin room left.

The room was freezing on arrival, I know it's November but you would think they would put the heating on knowing guests would be using the room that evening.

The beds were uncomfortable, with duvet's that were too small for the size of the bed.

The shower was broken and would not stay in place.

The window had moss/mould around the edge. There was a big scorch mark in the corner of the room.

The breakfast is very over priced and not included in the price of the room.

I would not stay here again, we only stayed as already paid online and was not refundable

2  Thank Graham W

Hi Graham. thank you for your review and I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay here at The Sandcliff Guest House.

Yes you are right, The Sandcliff is a guest house and not a hotel. We do not advertise as a Hotel and Booking.com lists many different establishments for e.g pubs, B&Bs, self catered apartments and Guest Houses and on this occasion, the clue is in the name.

I have had a look at your booking and I can see that you had booked a twin room and not a double, please refer to your confirmation.

In regards to the heating, I do apologise the radiators are set on individual timers and I believe they were not set correctly, we have now corrected this issue. Thank you for raising this.

All our beds are of a good standard and we have many guests who compliment on how comfortable they are. However, we all have different preferences and I am sorry they were not to your liking. As with the size of the duvet, I have recently stayed in one of the single beds and the duvet was more than big enough and I am not small!

For £7.95 for a full breakfast which includes, freshly cooked to order hot food, cereals, toast, fresh fruit and yogurts this is fantastic value and we have many great reviews for our breakfast.

Thank you for your comments and again I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us.

Kind regards,