“Nice decor, not so great on food”
Review of John O'Gaunt Inn

John O'Gaunt Inn
Ranked #3 of 28 Restaurants in Sandy
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I have to point out first the pub has some great things going for it-

Charming location
Friendly staff
Accommodating of physical needs
Clean
Pretty decor

But to be honest I really didn’t enjoy the meal we had there. They tried really hard to make the food exciting and contemporary, but my muscles were overpowered by the Thai green sauce (I’ve spent time in Thailand and those flavours need to be studied before slapped on any ingredient). The muscles were gritty and not great in general. The menu has many complicated aspects which stopped me from enjoying meat free options. As I only eat fish or veggie and I’m allergic to both nuts and rose water I picked from 2 items I could have and I get bored of fish and chips. If the menu was less fussy and more traditional I’m sure we would have all enjoyed the meal. Unfortunately the chips were overdone and the other people with me were satisfied but not in a hurry to rush back.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

A friend told me that the food at the John O' Gaunt was very good so we booked to go on a Sunday. It was busy both in the bar and Restaurant which meant a 30 minute wait for the meal. However staff were attentive and drinks and complementary nibbles were served promptly. The menu is quite small and only one roast meat is offered. The Starters of Mussels and Tempura Prawns were amazing. The prawns were beautifully presented and tasted great. My husband said he had never tasted Mussels as good as his plentiful Starter. The main course of Roast Beef and Fish Pie arrived soon after we had finished the first course. The beef was tender and served with traditional veg but I would have preferred the vegetables and gravy served separately. The Fish Pie was good. All in all a pleasant lunch.

Reviewed 23 March 2018 via mobile

We have been to The John O"Gaunt many times and The Hare and Hounds too when Jane and Jago ran that lovely place and never have we been disappointed either with the food or welcome received.
Last night was no exception and good to see a full restaurant. We had soup and whitebait, steak and lamb and apple tart and lemon tart. ALL delicious and served beautifully. I can say no more other than go and enjoy and take advantage of this lovely pub/restaurant set in Sutton near Biggleswade. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

Do one meat and do it well...roast beef was absolutely gorgeous. Great food though my husband would have liked more mainstream lager on tap

Reviewed 23 February 2018

This pub was taken over by husband and wife team Jane and Jago Hurt in 2014, when its popularity was at a very low ebb. Jane manages front of house with a very experienced and friendly support team. Service is of a very high standard. Jago is an excellent chef, using fresh local ingredients including specialist meat and fish suppliers. The menu just makes the mouth water when perusing the choice and is supported by a selection of fine wine, at a reasonable price, chosen by Jane.
My wife and I try to visit at least once a month for an evening meal and we have no hesitation inviting visiting guests to sample their fayre.
It is well worth a visit to this village pub. The experience should stay with you for quite a while. Enjoy.