“Great stop”

Mackies Southern Barbecue
Ranked #298 of 447 Restaurants in Frederick
Price range: USD 10 - USD 50
Description: We offer a variety of choices including ‪classic barbecue‬ favorites like our delicious ‪ribs‬, ‪fingerlickin‬' barbecue‬ ‪chicken‬, ‪beef brisket‬, and so much more.
Reviewed 22 October 2018 via mobile

Cannot be beat and should consider a must eat if remotely near Frederick. Quality and quantity are outstanding!

The half-rack of ribs was the size of a full-rack most anywhere else, and seasoned well. Falling off the bone good!

Outstanding cornbread, and as it’s in Maryland I got the Mac & Crab - Really good!

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed 11 October 2018

Stopped to look at the menu and decided on a bbq pork sandwich. WOW! It was one of the best I have eaten. The homemade sauce was outstanding and the coleslaw was tasty as well. It's a small store front across from Frederick Memorial Hospital on 7th Street. Yul' you'll like it.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 21 April 2018

With all the good reviews, I had high hopes. Man was I disappointed! To be honest, I am very serious about my BBQ. I have several smokers and regularly make my own. I also travel around to taste award winning BBQ. I rate BBQ joints by their brisket and ribs. I also usually get whatever sides they are know for, or I will get greens and Mac-n-cheese.

Let's start with the sides... The Mac-n-cheese had way too much nutmeg. I'm not a big fan of nutmeg in my mac-n-cheese, but their's had an overbearing taste of nutmeg. I barely got through two bites. My other side was green beans with bacon. They were not that bad. I've had better, but not bad.

Now to the meat... I'll give the positive first, they offer good portion sizes. For the price they charge, I would have expected this. However, the ribs and brisket were a little tight. Neither had any type of smoke flavor or any flavor from their dry rub (I'm not sure they were seasoned with more than salt and pepper). No visible smoke ring on the ribs or brisket. No bark. The only flavor came from the slightly drizzled sauce.

I wish I could give a better review. I really wanted to like this place. I can think of a 5-6 other places just in Frederick county with better BBQ.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 28 December 2017

Apparently this was recently opened, and we were excited to try it. First, skip the brisket nachos. Very poor quality chips, and very little brisket. The BBQ quesadilla was better, but also nothing special. My son had the ribs and they were dry (over-cooked and/or re-heated.) I had the two meat combo (brisket and pulled pork) and it was decent enough but they forgot the sides and sauce. The gal server was the worst part of the meal. She had literally two tables (the place was empty) and ran around there like it was an impossible feat to service a total of six people. When ordering we asked questions about the menu, and she knew zero answers and was indignant that we would ask her. It was all unfortunate, because it seemed like the place could have promise. They obviously cared about the BBQ, just didn't quite get it right. BTW, the "cornbread" is rum-soaked. This is the greatest thing for some people, and horrible for others. Either was the server knew "absolutely nothing about it." She claimed it was made off-premise by somebody's mom.

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed 21 November 2017

We stopped by for lunch after seeing an ad on facebook. After seeing the address we wondered where could this place be, as we drive this street all the time. When we got close we saw the BBQ flags in a strip of residential housing across from FMH. Parking was on street and yes it is an old house, reconfirmed as you walk in the door. It looks like someone lived upstairs, but after asking the server, we learned there is additional seating upstairs. We ordered the Brisket sandwich with cole slaw side and 1/2 rack of ribs with cole slaw and green beans with bacon. Both were very tasty and portions were very adequate. I would not order the beans again myself as they were a little sweet for my taste with an odd cider vinegar/sugar addition to the traditional, but that's just my taste. We also found out that all meat smoking is done off premises so you will not smell the familiar and inviting smoke smell surrounding the location. I hope they prosper as it is a hidden location with good food. We will definitely return.

Date of visit: November 2017