“Exactly As Expected”

Hill House Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Frederick
Hill House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 6 Frederick B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 February 2011

My sister and I stayed here March 2010 and will be going back May 2011. We picked this B&B for walking distance to Volt and town, both are great. Okay, so maybe you won't get a hug upon your arrival. But I assure you, Ms. Damian can be very friendly and helpful. I say this even though she chided me in front of everyone for setting my coffee cup on her dining room table, as opposed to the coaster which was right next to me. I was laughing on the inside (only) as that's what my mother would do. No harm, I'm a big girl. We stayed in Mexican Room w/ 2 twin beds. The bathroom is huge and walks out to a fabulous balcony. Having a pre and post dinner drink on balcony was perfect. Just to know--the bathroom door swings into the bedroom, in case you're noise shy. We just had a "go to the balcony" rule. Go, you'll be glad.

Stayed: March 2010
1  Thank willowTN

Reviewed 21 January 2011

We visited Frederick from Washington, DC for a splurge at Volt Restaurant. It's little too far to drive, particularly after the wine pairings. We chose to stay right around the corner at the Hill House. Here are the details you need.

-- The rooms are small but not cramped. We stayed in the Victorian Suite, which is streetside but quiet. We needed the step stool to get into our 4-poster bed. The rooms are heated by radiator -- we turned ours off and hit under the ample covers. The host also put out a bottle of sherry in our room, which was a nice touch on a cold night.

-- The bathroom is private and almost as large as the room -- it's actually down a little hall within the room, which is nice.

-- The breakfast is communal with everyone sitting at the one dining room table. That's not my favorite b/c it requires small talk before coffee. The host seems to make french toast most morning, which was well above B&B average.

One last note. We left a couple pairs of pants hanging in the closet. The host mailed them to us at her own expense. That's service you won't get from Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2010

It's now the one year anniversary (10/30/09) of our stay at the Hill House Bed and Breakfast. The bad memories have hardly faded. We still agree that our stay at the Hill House was the worst bed and breakfast experience we've had. The Damien may be good at some things, but her interpersonal skills are nil. Not suited for the HOSPITALITY business. The breakfast was adequate the first day and cold on the second day. It had been sitting on the plate for an hour before we arrive at the table. A misunderstanding about ending daylight saving time. We lost the argument. Lesson learned - never again book a bed and breakfast without reading the online reviews first, We never would have stayed there if we had done that.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cedar61
Reviewed 5 November 2010

This was our first visit to Frederick and the Hill House, and it will definitely not be our last. My husband and I stayed in the Steeple Room on the third floor and thoroughly enjoyed our 3-night stay. Damian is a wonderful hostess and shares an exquisite home with her guests. We felt as though we were visiting a good friend instead of staying at a B&B, as their home is filled with family photos, paintings, and more than a few lifetimes of cherished momentos. The location is absolutely perfect for walking all around town--day or night. The bed was comfortable, there was plenty of heat, plenty of hot water, and plenty of good light by which to read. Breakfast is more than ample and delicious; pocket a few of her cinnamon twists to take with you during the day!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2010

My husband and I just returned from a delightful visit to Hill House. Our room was lovely, the inkeeper friendly, and the location was steps away from Volt, the Tasting Room, and all the great shopping and dining in Frederick. We arrived to breakfast late (late dinner reservation the night before) and was plesantly surprised that the innkeeper had held our breakfast (more importantly coffee) for us. I think we had the least expensive room in the inn (we were only staying 1 night and would be out of the room for most of the time so it did not matter to us) and it still was charming, with a nice balcony. We'd love to come back.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple