“The Staff affects the Rating”

Baymont Inn and Suites Barstow Historic Route 66
Ranked #14 of 29 Hotels in Barstow
Reviewed 14 September 2017

Quick, easy check-in. Courteous staff. Nice, clean room and comfortable beds.
But at 2pm, we were awoken by the night receptionist talking and laughing with her friends in the breakfast area - just down the hall from our first floor room. LOUD! And she continued. At 3pm, my wife walked down and told them to cut it out - guests were trying to sleep.

Management needs to conduct training sessions!

Room Tip: stay away from the breakfast area.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Bibi B, General Manager at Baymont Inn and Suites Barstow Historic Route 66, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to complete a TripAdvisor online survey regarding your recent stay at my hotel.

On behalf of my entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.

Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

I probably will skip staying overnight in Barstow ever again, personal choice. The hotel staff were very nice but room was small and felt a little cramped. AC was nice and cold. The hotel felt a little dated but it was in a safe location and they accept pets so that's a big plus for me. They provide everything you need. Breakfast was minimal, eggs and croissants. If you just need an overnight stop this is a good choice.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Bibi B, General Manager at Baymont Inn and Suites Barstow Historic Route 66, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2017

Dear JustbeachyLinda,
Thank you for time to complete a TripAdvisor online survey regarding your recent stay at our hotel.
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and I am happy to tell you that we are going through renovations and will open new on October 31. I welcome you back to check out our new look and Brand!!!

Reviewed 20 August 2017

On our California road trip, after celebrating the birthdays in Palm Springs we drove east on I-10 so that we could drive up through the Joshua Tree National Park. The park is amazing, a singular environment that really has to be experienced. We drove through the park and emerged from the Joshua Tree entrance.

Our next overnight was Barstow, why? Well, we try not to drive too long in a day, say 3-4 hours, this means that we don't spend a whole day driving, no one gets too tired and, perhaps most importantly, we see places that one might not ordinarily see driving between big towns or particularly spectacular sights.

So after Joshua Tree, we took Highway 62, then Highway 247 to Barstow, the countryside was, obviously, rural and much of it fairly desolate but such a difference from much we had seen up to that point.

At first there isn't much to distinguish the Sleep Inn at Barstow from the myriad of hotels that populates the American roadside. Built in fairly typical style it sits towards the western edge of the town. We parked out front and checked in. The staff were welcoming, friendly and efficient and are, in fact, one of the factors that raise the hotel above the ordinary. They were great throughout our stay.

Our room was on the first floor and was fairly typical of an American hotel room. A king-sized bed centred on the room plus all the usual amenities; TV, microwave, coffee making facilities and wardrobe. There was also an armchair which sat between the bed and the window making access a little difficult.

The bathroom was fairly standard although the shower was some kind of modular construction which I hadn't come across before, nothing wrong with it though, worked like a charm.

The hotel also has a guest laundry, one of the reasons why we booked the hotel. This is on the first floor and contains good sized washing machines and dryers. This was our first activity after we checked in, an essential for any road trip. This will get busy as it is obviously a popular facility.

While we were at this we discovered coffee and lemonade available at reception. Both tasted fine and another sign of the little touches that raise the hotel above the norm.

Breakfast was good. There were some cooked items but I stuck to toast, yogurt, fruit, juice and coffee. The breakfast buffet is diligently maintained by staff who are present all the time and ready to assist guests.

The hotel provides free wifi and has a good-sized parking lot. There is also a small pool and a gym, neither of which we used.

On the evening of our stay, we asked the staff for recommendations of restaurants within walking distance. Two were identified, a Mexican and a pizza restaurant. We settled for the latter and had a good evening meal after a long day.

So, in conclusion, I would say that the hotel is a good place for an overnight stop and I think this is probably where it gets most of its business. The hotel itself is of a good standard with a lot of facilities as described above but, as I have said, it is elevated a little by some small, yet welcome, touches and by the friendliness and effectiveness of the staff who we thought were very good.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Bibi B, General Manager at Baymont Inn and Suites Barstow Historic Route 66, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2017

Dear InnesG1958,
I want like to thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay here at Sleep Inn Barstow.
Feedback from our wonderful guests such as yourself, is very important to us and your input helps with our continuing efforts to provide excellent service and a great stay.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed In the sleep inn hotel last night. Well it's my favorite hotel in town so spending $115 for the night I guess was ok. When the came to inspect the room before checkout to get my deposit back the lady said we damaged the towels and need to pay for it. my kid spilled a dime size drop of yogurt on the floor n we cleaned it up. R u kidding me??? A lil bleach will fix the issue. Am I wrong??? Do these towels look damaged to the point they need to b thrown away???? She said "I'm in the hotel business and I know it's going to stain" I'll never go back there again. Seriously. N since she charged us for the towels I kept them. I washed them with standard detergent and the towels look like new. So I was charged for damages even though nothing was damaged. Usually have nothing but great things to say about this place. I informed the manager Bibi that the towels are fine not stained or damaged and that they were wrong and she said now that they left the hotel they can't take them back. I don't care if u take them back. Look and see that u were wrong about damages and give me my money back!! So if u stay here at this hotel DON'T USE THE TOWELS unless your willing to pay for it!!!!!!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Bibi B, General Manager at Baymont Inn and Suites Barstow Historic Route 66, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2017

Again Miss ClassyBenda,
I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations.
Your satisfaction is very important to us and I apologize that we could not come to an understanding. Our policy is to charge guest for damaged/missing items and since a few towels were damaged/missing my Sales Manager had to charge.

Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

On this 2200 mile driving trip I stayed in 10 different cities, always trying to find and book hotel properties in the Hotel.com class of 3 stars and Trip Advisor rating of 4 or more stars. This property met my rating and cost criteria and I was very impressed. This is the best motel-hotel I stayed in in ten days, 20 different properties, including a high end Harrah's hotel. Recommended.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Bibi B, General Manager at Baymont Inn and Suites Barstow Historic Route 66, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2017

Dear Robert A,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a TripAdvisor survey regarding your recent stay at our hotel.
We very much appreciate and value your feedback and have share your kind comments with my staff and all us of us here are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us!!!! Your survey responses will serve as encouragement to all of my staff as we all work hard to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. Yes, our guests are our # 1 priority and always will be.
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.