“Good Intentions but a Little Lacking”
Review of Two Urban Licks

Two Urban Licks
Reserve with OpenTable
Two Urban Licks is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #179 of 4,148 Restaurants in Atlanta
Price range: USD 10 - USD 30
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Cajun & Creole
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Poncey-Highland
Cross street: Ralph McGill Blvd.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Two Urban Licks is a great spot right on the Beltline. The space is amazing, with a great vibe. I only wish the food and the service lived up to the physical space. We were there for Easter Brunch. My friend was running a bit late, so I checked in at the front desk (very friendly) and settled at the bar. The bar staff was attentive and friendly. My drink was very good, though a bit overpriced. When my friend arrived, we were quickly seated at a requested outside table. Here is where things started to unravel. The wait staff seemed overly harried for the number of tables seated and it took several minutes for our waiter to stop by an introduce himself. It was clear that this was simply a drive by and he was off without doing much more than filling our waters. Several long minutes later, he was back to take our drink order, but when my friend started asking questions about the menu, she was quickly shut down and we were told he would be right back. A different server brought are drinks and spent a few minutes explaining the menu. When we placed our food orders, my friend asked between 2 dishes - he recommended the Fish & Grits, but when pressed with additional questions - he never really answered, just kept repeating his recommendation. I ordered the Brisket Hash, but when I asked for the eggs to be over easy vs poached, I was told that they couldn't substitute the eggs. Really? First of all you were not as busy as you were acting and second, though I am no chef, I do not believe eggs over easy are more difficult than poached, maybe even easier. We also ordered the Shrimp Hush Puppies, but were told that they were being substituted with the dinner version - pimento cheese hush puppies. We gave them a try - yuck. They were simply golf ball size balls of pimento cheese, lightly battered and deep friend. No cornmeal of other filling to tone down the over powering cheese. My brunch was served - it looked very appealing, a generous portion of potato hash with a nice slice of charred brisket and 2 poached eggs. The flavor profile was there, but the execution was a little lacking. The brisket was overly fatty and only about 60% of the portion was edible. The hash should have been cooked a bit longer to have a little more crispiness so that when the egg yolk was mixed in, it wouldn't be so soggy. The recommended Fish & Grits were "good" according my friend, I will have to take her word, but I did notice that she did not finish her meal or ask for a to go box, not the norm.
I will give them another chance. Maybe it was the "super busy" Easter brunch that had the wait staff frazzled and the kitchen not up to par. I hope that is the case and not that they are relying on a great location and cool atmosphere to make up for the short comings in the food and service. Guess I will find out soon.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Good live music with a very nice environment and beautiful people!! BBQ is good and well served even if too sweet..

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

We had dinner with three people. The service was really good and food was served quickly. We shared some starters: hush puppies and the salmon chips. Both delicious. Two starters (because they are pretty filling) were a little bit too much for three people though.
The two guys had the brisket and I chose the scallops. We all enjoyed the food. The red house wine was tasty too.
The only thing I want to mention and that might bother some people depending on what your plans are for the night is that your clothes and hair smell like you were standing close to a grill afterwards.

Reviewed 25 March 2018

Two Urban Licks delivers on everything you look for in a great restaurant experience. For one, we loved the very different and unique atmosphere. Nice lighting, interesting furnishings and live jazz/blues the night we were there. We were seated promptly and the service was several steps above most places (and we eat out a lot). For appetizers, we tried the smoked Salmon Chips & Baked Oysters. Both were really good. For dinner, we had the Georgia White Shrimp & the Brisket! Oh my... you can't go wrong with either of those! Each course of food came out really fast which we appreciated since we were all hungry. However, we did not feel rushed at all and lingered for a while after dinner.

I can HIGHLY recommend this place. One of the best dining experiences we've had in quite a while.

Reviewed 24 March 2018

Honestly, I would go back to Atlanta just for this appetizer. It was that delicious. Not something that I could easily recreate in my own kitchen. Salmon Chips with smoked salmon, chipotle cream cheese, capers, red onion

1  Thank Janet S

Been to Two Urban Licks? Share your experiences!