“Still the best!!!”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Buckhead
Cross street: Grandview Ave.
Reviewed 4 April 2016

There are now many sushi restaurants that are getting rave reviews, places like Tomo and Umi and others. While they are good, and yes I have been to them, they pale in comparison to Taka. Like his contemporaries in Japan and the true masters f the Sushi art every meal with Taka is an experience to savor. His authenticity,passion and purity shine through in every meal. If you want to have a Jiro experience but cannot get to Tokyo I suggest you go to Taka. You will not forget it.

Reviewed 23 February 2016

Four of us ate here last weekend. My husband usually has lunch here and said it's just ok. The reason we went here was because it was close to the destination we were headed after dinner. My husband was correct. Food was just ok. Salad with ginger dressing was huge and pretty good. However, the sushi rolls we ordered were just ok. The restaurant is small and very cute (nicer at night by candlelight than by day....my husband said). Taka is moving from this location on March 9th to a larger location in Sandy Springs. I probably won't be rushing back as there are definitely better sushi restaurants. The waitress was very nice and attentive but when it came to paying the bill, things changed....she was nowhere to be found and we ended up being late to our next destination.

1  Thank spaintravelerAtlanta
Reviewed 11 February 2016 via mobile

We were headed to Umi and called to make a reservation - the wait was 1.5 hours so the driver suggested Taka - well what serendipity - cool little place great vibe and we sat at the sushi bar. The Saba was perfect - great FLAVA and fresh! They had a tuna trio - fatty, not too fatty and lean - this was such a cool tasting and learning experience as we got to try them side by side. I was telling the Chefs - one was Taka the owner (in the picture) - about the documentary "Jiros" a must watch if you love sushi and learning the path to success - Taka sensed we were eager to learn and WOW!!!! He told us to eat "the green leaf" with the tuna - POW - unlocked FLAVAS I never tasted before. He said in Japanese cuisine everything on the plate is edible and there for the taste sensation!!!! He then said try this "you would never order this" ;) - calamari sashimi - WOW!!!! Amazing FLAVA !!!! He guided us on a mixed plate of sashimi as to which to dip lightly in soy and which not to, to ensure we got the FLAVA nuances.
If you have never tried "black throat" - oh my word it is a gorgeous fatty fish and the best sashimi I have EVER tasted!!!!
Service was good - pricing - feel like I paid for what was delivered - ambiance great - meeting Taka and having him share his "sushiness" with us - PRICELESS!
Thank you TAKA!

Reviewed 11 January 2016 via mobile

Went there for lunch. Not too many people. Parking was impossible.
The bigger concern was the temperature of the fish on the rolls: it was warm... :-(

Not really impressed.

Reviewed 12 December 2015

RHad the bento box for lunch. It was last night's leftovers including reheated salmon and mashed potatoes.
This is not Japanese food. Service was rushed. Don't go here if you know how good Japanese food should be.

1  Thank isabelarcher