“Pricey...but worth the money”
Review of Alma Cocina

Alma Cocina
Reserve with OpenTable
Alma Cocina is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #67 of 4,147 Restaurants in Atlanta
Price range: USD 30 - USD 30
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: MARTA Peachtree Center
Reviewed 18 June 2018

We came for dinner - the food was amazing I had their chicken mole dish, we had their grilled octopus as an appetizer. Some plates are advertised in the menu as 'Small Plates' which makes me feel like they are more on the 'tapas' side of things but be aware they are quite small more on the order of appetizer. So if you share a small plate, it'll feed 2 - maybe 3 people (a single bite each).

Dinners/main plates are a good size. Cocktails are great, the tequila cubes are a really neat idea. I had the Anejo paired with coffee/maple syrup cube (large ice cube) - if you are fan of coffee this is the after dinner beverage for you.

Great ambiance with indoor and semi-indoor patio seating, also there is bar seating. Reservations recommended but not needed. We didn't have a reservation for dinner and they accommodated us quickly. We did not have the friendliest server - he seemed to 'put up with us' rather than being nice/amiable. But he was proficient and his attitude warmed up by the end of the meal.

Main plates start at around $21 for dinner. Street Tacos range $15-17 and were filling according to my friend that ordered them.

I would probably go back for the tequila cube cocktails and street tacos...though my chicken moles was really delicious.

Reviewed 15 June 2018

My friend and I walked in and the restaurant was extremely busy. The hostess informed me there was about an hour wait, so I opted to sit at the bar. The bar was also extremely busy, however the bartenders handled the craze with quite the finesse. I was greeted by a beautiful bartender, I believe her name was Megan, I apologize if I'm wrong. She recommended that I try the just wear black margarita which was a perfect choice for me. It was strong and tart and not too sugary. She went down the menu with me and also recommended a few options for food. We ended up trusting all of her recommendations and ended up with the fried cheese, the shellfish ceviche, and the lamb tacos. Each plate was well-executed and delicious. Megan made sure to check up on us frequently and she made us feel like we were in the graces of her own home. It was quite the treat to go along with our tasty food and drinks. I would recommend this place to anyone, not only for the food but for the service at the bar as well. Great job Alma! Thank you for a wonderful experience.

Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

We visited this restaurant for Saturday dinner, and overall we had a good experience. The staff is friendly and attentive, and the restaurant was clean, busy and modern. We sat at the bar since we were actually having a late lunch, and ordered the naranjarita cocktail and a beer. The cocktail was delicious and very strong, with tequila and puréed mangoes and other fruits. For dinner we ordered the fried avocado tacos and carnitas tacos. She loved her food, and the flavors on mine were authentic. The meat was juicy so the tacos were too soggy to eat with your hands as they fell apart, but flavor was on point. The side dish of rice and beans was also flavorful and a good compliment to the tacos, although the black beans were undercooked and a bit dry. I think for the price, the food was lacking refinement but overall we had a pleasant experience. I would come back one more time to try other dishes and see how those compare.

Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

We have been twice. I highly recommend the grilled asparagus guacamole. The orange margarita was fantastic too. This is far and above the typical enchilada and taco restaurant. The pork pibil tamale was perfect. The flavor of the chicken Tinga tacos was amazing. Be sure to try the esquires. The first time we had service that was indifferent to us and the food otherwise this would have been 5 stars. The second time we had a wonderful server who recommended and was enthusiastic about the creative dishes.

Reviewed 8 June 2018

This is a higher scale Mexican place and it was quite good. Was with a work group and everyone enjoyed their food. They have both small plates and entrees. I had the mole and it was very good.