All reviewscentennial parkferris wheelextra cookiescool hotelwarm cookiesfront deskmercedes benzcollege footballnight managerwithin walking distancedefinitely stay at this hotel againmy entire staywater pressurelong weekendlate checkrecommend this hotel to anyonethe staff was friendly and helpful
Reviewed 14 August 2018

Whenever I have stayed in Atlanta during that last 5 years or so, I have always stayed here. They always do their best for everyone. This trip, the wonderful Tiara, suggested I visit the 'Little 5 Points'. I took her advice and I was NOT disappointed; it was an eclectic shopping experience. Thank you Tiara. And I can't wait for my next visit to explore more of what Atlanta has to offer.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
DwayneDean, General Manager at The American Hotel Atlanta Downtown - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2018

Hi edwardtspraggins,

I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. I will be sure to pass this onto Tiara..she is a gem!! We hope to see you back again soon!

Safe travels,

Reviewed 13 August 2018

My friend and I snuck away to Atlanta for a concert this past weekend and I'm so glad we chose to stay here. The staff is friendly and the hotel itself is beautiful. We loved the "retro" flare of our room and we also enjoyed the hotel pool. My husband had called ahead and they set up a surprise inside of our room and he told me later that the representative was very helpful and accommodating. We had lunch at the hotel restaurant - The Cloakroom and it was delicious. One of the mornings we enjoyed the hotel buffet which was very good and I don't usually think hotel breakfasts are usually worth writing about. Our cleaning staff was wonderful, one in particular noticed a flaw in our bathroom and contacted maintenance for us- the technician, Theodore was friendly and prompt in solving our issue. We mostly used Lyft to get us around town but the hotel itself is in walking distance to so many restaurants and bars and is a convenient walk home from the Mercedes Benz stadium; we actually decided to walk with the crowd to avoid traffic after our concert. We had such a great time, I'm already planning a trip back with my family.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends

Jfamilytravels,

Thank you for staying with for your travel needs visiting for the concert. I will be sure to pass this onto our dedicated staff members. They love to see these! We hope your travels will bring you back to the American.

Reviewed 12 August 2018

We went to Atlanta for a weekend getaway! This hotel is very convenient to the Mercedez-Benz Stadium, the Aquarium, The Coca-Cola Experience & Centennial Park. The hotel has a very retro/1950's vibe as well as a nice staff, pool and everything else you'd expect from a Hilton property.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family

msmadbanana,

Thank you for your business and for posting on your recent stay. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our recent renovations. Come back soon!

Reviewed 10 August 2018

I was here for a company business meeting. The meeting portion was in the hotel. I was greeted by staff and was upgraded to a suite. (Always nice). I had to admit my first impression of the room, what that the furniture looked dated and could use an update. That is until I started reading about the history of this hotel, built in 1962 and that it opened it's rooms to the likes of Rev. Martin Luther King Jr and integrated teams. Fear not, the furniture is retro modern 60s style, but the room TVs, wifi and plumping are all modern. (They apparently did a renovation the previous year). I even had a bag of "pop rocks" in the guest room, promoting the 60s theme. I was on the 7th floor facing out toward the front of the hotel. You could hear some street noise, but being a seasoned traveler I always have ear plugs as a back up. Bed was very comfortable. The living area of the suite did not have a window, so it was very dark on that part until I found the light switch.
They gave me a bingo card, that encourage one to check things out not only in the hotel but around the area for a prize which was a fun way to become familiar with the hotel. The hotel location is close to various dining options and attractions such as Olympic park (I had to admit that I forgot the Olympics were held here back in 1996), the Ferris wheel and the aquarium. The staff was friendly and helpful and often checked to see how my stay was. Both breakfast and lunch for the business meeting were standard food, but very good. I loved the grilled veggies for the lunch portion.
Minor item for anyone with mobile disabilities: The main doors to the hotel are not automatic, and there are a couple of steps up from the main door to the lobby. Their may be alternative but I did not see it on my very brief stay here.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool "may" be quieter
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business

Carol D,

Thank you for your posting on your recent stay. Your comments and business mean the world to us. I'm happy you enjoyed your time with us and we would love to have you as a guest again when your back in Atlanta.

All the best,

Reviewed 10 August 2018

I've stayed in alot of chain hotels, but never a local-featured chain like this that is apart of a chain but has that local historic flare. The American and gone to GREAT lengths to ensure that every detail was thought of. If it's sitting still, it's logo'd and representing their brand from bottled water at check-in to to-go coffee cups. Great branding!

The only complaint I have, which probably can't be fixed, is that this is a historic hotel. It creeks, the walls are semi-thin (I could hear doors closing down the hall, not next door neighbors), and the AC was a bit loud. All of which was bearable, and hey-- those cookies!

Great job Legacy Ventures!

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
DwayneDean, General Manager at The American Hotel Atlanta Downtown - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2018

Hi amyers,

I truly appreciate the comments on the branding items you mentioned. It makes a world of difference and that you noticed is great! Your business and feedback is very important to us and I hope that you will choose us again when your travels brings you to Atlanta.

Safe travels,