See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 21 October 2015

You would think that when you walk into a place of business and your greeted by desk clerk, maintenance guy (whom seems to do nothing), manager of the property, and or housekeeper you would get a warm hello or even a smile! NOPE ... I had been staying at this hotel for quite sometime maybe 4-5 months the manager RUDE! I asked about my room be cleaned (they only do it every two weeks) and she stated that the guy whom cleaned the rooms quit, "I said well i see more than one housekeeper" she said well I'm not going to stop what they need to do in order to clean you room, " I said you can just pick up where your not supported because that's what a manager does she said Hell No and continued to smoke that nasty cigarette she smokes in front of the door!

The people that work here also live here so you get to see their life as well as their work ethic and the only one that smiles rather he is off or on is the guy at the front desk Mark or Matt! They lazy maintenance man that DOES NOTHING ALL DAY! I DO MEAN NOTHING AT ALL! Why he works here I have no idea but when I called about my air the front desk clerk came, when I called the my door lock needed to be changed or something the front desk lady came every air condition in the building doesn't work but yet they bring police dog in the residence stating they are looking for drugs, but cant fix my sink that is leaking or the fact that the building as flees and roaches but you charge me for every single item, poor wifi, late payment when your office doesn't open till 10 but the manager gets here at 8 wont take a payment so she sits out in the back and smoke 1000 of cigarettes until 10:00 but when you tell her you have to get to work she look as though your job doesn't matter!

They just have very bad people working for their company and this review might do nothing to make things better because I have seen people curse and get all upset and nothing changes but I do know if you keep people like this working for your hotel long you will not have a hotel in Richmond Va. I have gone through something in my life which has led me here with my children and I hope that I never have to come back! when I started staying here I did it for the price but than that has changed twice since I have been here!

They should remember if it wasn't for us paying the cost they wouldn't be able to pay their bills! Be more grateful and appreciative of the guest that is coming in your establishment! Don't run us over with your cart (maintenance guy) and not say excuse me!

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
5  Thank Irateextendedstay
WoodSpringHotels, Public Relations Manager at WoodSpring Suites Richmond West, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2016

We are sorry to hear that your experience with us was less then ideal. It is important to us that all of our staff treats all guests in a welcoming and comforting manner. We are sorry you did not feel that. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 6 September 2015

I should have heeded the reviews. The manager, Pickering, is one of the rudest people I have ever met. After staying in the hotel two days, I asked her if I could use the bathroom on the 1st floor to change my slacks before leaving for work.I had just gotten a pair out of the dryer in the laundry room. After being IGNORED by her and asking her three times as I was paying for another night She replied "just this one time, the bathroom is for employees only-I won't let you use it again" TOTALLY CONDESCENDING - NOT AT ALL ACCOMMODATING. SHE KNEW I WOULD HAVE TO TAKE THE SLOW ELEVATOR WITH NO AIR CONDITIONING OR FAN TO THE 4TH FLOOR TO CHANGE. NONE OF THE HALLWAYS HAVE AIR CONDITIONING - I told the guy at the front desk that none of the hallway air conditioners were plugged in and he advised that they were all broken. The second night after check-in I called the young man who works at the front desk because my SHEETS WERE DIRTY and the MATTRESS PAD APPEARED TO HAVE DEAD BUGS ON IT. He came my room and said they HAD ISSUES WITH BEDBUGS BEFORE but what I was seeing was just lint. I replied by asking how to you have black lint on white sheets. I asked him for a new set of sheets - which he brought to my room and LEFT FOR ME TO MAKE THE BED-ABSURD - he certainly should have made the bed - I did pay for this service! When I called back the second night to see if there were vacancies, the other front desk person "Mea" I think, told me that I should let them know if I was going to return rather than checking out and checking in again. WHO IS SHE TO TELL ME WHAT TO DO-SHE HAD NO IDEA OF MY CIRCUMSTANCES - OBVIOUSLY PICKERING'S PROTEGE. I suppose she was trying to save the effort of cleaning the room. MY BILL WAS ADJUSTED ON THE SECOND DAY BECAUSE APPARENTLY SOME ONE THERE HAD MADE AN ERROR - GOOD THING THEY MENTIONED THIS, OVERALL - THE WORST PLACE IN THE WORLD - ESPECIALLY WITH REGARD TO PERSONNEL. I wish I had more money to stay somewhere decent. THIS PLACE SHOULD BE PUT OUT OF BUSINESS AND IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED , I HAVE PHOTOS OF THE BUGS AND DIRT IN THE ROOM

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else - anywhere else would be better
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank jgtedder T

I apologize that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. We will look into everything you've brought to our attention. We strive to provide every guest with a great experience and apologize this did not happen in your case.

Reviewed 2 March 2015

We stayed here for about 2 and a half weeks. I am always ify about staying in hotels but this place completely made me feel safe, secure, and comfortable. I didnt worry about anything. Room was extremely clean did not make feel uncomfortable it felt like my own home. Laundry room is open 24/7 I was able to use it and machines were maintained and clean. Staff was was beyond great, always attentative, and friendly. I would most definitely recommend this place with no doubt. Great stay. Loved it.

Room Tip: I love the city so the view towards broad st at night is very nice
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jessica M

We are thrilled to hear this, Jessica. Thank you for sharing your experience, your recommendation and we hope to serve you again.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I'm a road warrior and was looking for a 1-3 month place to stay in Richmond while I worked a gig. The advertised price is awesome, and it is very appealing to have a small, clean simple place with a kitchen. The problem is that the room charges do not match the advertising.

The rate is advertised as $280/wk, but when I checked in I was charged $326/wk. The clerk had no explanation for this difference, except...because software. I asked to speak to the manager, but was never contacted. In fact, each week I asked about the difference in rate and was given no answer, except that I should "try to catch the manager sometime when she was here."

Eventually, I found an employee who (probably mistakenly) confessed that I had been charged for services I did not request. In fact, I was charged for services I specifically said I did not want... and did not receive. The overcharge added up to about $175.

I again asked to speak to the manager, who did not contact me. I wrote to the corporate office on fb. They looked at the issue and agreed that I had been overcharged. They told me that the local manager would call me. She did not, I again wrote to the corporate office, was again told the local manger would contact me. She did not.

I wrote twice more to the corporate office with no result. The overcharge has not been refunded to me after 5 weeks.

This could be a good place for a long hotel stay, but I can't afford to give my credit card number to a business that inserts unauthorized charges on my bill. Maybe it's different for you, but now at least you know what to look out for.

Room Tip: Do not expect to be charged the advertised rate. Watch for unauthorized charges to your credit card. Do not expect the corporate office to be able to help you resolve unethical billing by the local hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
8  Thank Roy M

We are sorry to hear that you experienced some issues with billing. Our goal is always to provide an extended stay hotel at a fair price. We are sorry to hear we fell short of your expectations.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

It was suggested to me that I stay at the Value Place Richmond West until my apartment was ready because it was affordable. And that is a correct statement. It is affordable but it's affordable in the same sense as when you buy a stripped down (or base model) automobile with no amenities.

The rates will lure you in but what you don't find out until you're midway thru the check-in process is that everything (and I do mean EVERYTHING) costs extra money $$$. So if you're on a travel budget there are better alternatives out there. For example, your single room is extremely small. There is a stove and microwave but you have to pay for plates, cutlery, glasses, an iron, ironing board, etc... EVERYTHING has a dollar amount attached to it including the bogus $10/week internet charge. Other comparable hotels DO NOT charge for such basic items as Value Place does.

Even more frustrating is their EXTREME policy about not pro-rating check-outs.Once you've paid your weekly rate you're locked in and even if you must check out early for whatever reason you do not get your charges pro-rated. In addition to that their office is closed on Sundays so when you do call the after hours service be prepared for them to act like it's a big inconvenience as I experienced when I checked in on a rainy Sunday afternoon. After traveling all day the last thing anyone needs is a desk clerk/mgr with a sour attitude.

For me personally I was immensely frustrated because the front desk does not open until 9:00 a.m. and they request their payment by 11:00 a.m. promptly otherwise... Yes you guessed it, they charge you $10 late fee. UNBELIEVABLE! I say that because if you try and explain that your job requires you to be there at 8:00 a.m. (1 hour before they decide to open) you receive no empathy!!! Also, you're probably wondering surely you can call and handle it over the phone right??? WRONG!!! This is the ONLY HOTEL I have ever encountered that refuses to take any form of payment over the phone. SO... It's just one big inconvenience! Add it all up and I paid an additional $80 (on top of what they asked for up front) in late fees because as I said; no phone business allowed and you have to pay for internet. OTHER PLACES DON'T CHARGE FOR THIS and are EASY TO DO SIMPLE BUSINESS WITH!!!

The laundry facility is deceiving. The washers do not fill up to the large capacity mark even after you've pumped it full of quarters. The walls and ceilings are paper thin so forget sleeping comfortably if you have the misfortune of having people above you hopping up and down in the middle of the night as I did. GEEZE!!!

On the plus side the facility is kept extremely clean I will admit. But if you want housekeeping to come and do basic cleaning services that is ANOTHER EXTRA CHARGE you incur because they only do free cleaning every 2 weeks!

Also, bring your own trash bags because theirs is a JOKE. They are so cheap and paper thin if you fill it even half way with normal trash (i.e. plastic bottles, wrappers, etc...) it will split apart leaving you with a big mess on your hands.

The front desk clerk you hope and pray you get is Rachel. She is ALWAYS courteous, friendly, smiling with a great attitude, etc... She is the lone bright spot I can report about Value Place and the only reason I don't rate it as Terrible!

My best advice is look elsewhere. You will find value but for spin thrift, bare bone services. Anything and Everything else you can imagine comes with an additional price tag. And you will spend more than you anticipate.

Extended Stays are better and will work with you on rates if you ask or if your company is on their list of companies eligible for discounts.

Disappointed Guest thankful to be in my apartment!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the front near the entrance ARE NOT QUIET. And you hear every guest or employee that walks in front of your window talking REGARDLESS of what time of the day or night it is. There is no pool or fitness center. The laundry is a challenge. You'll end up washing your clothes twice because of the poor quality of the washers.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Russ T

We are sorry to hear, Russ, that your business model was not a good fit for you. We do our best to balance amenities and affordability. Since your stay in 2014, we have made some changes and will continually progress in the right direction. We do hope you will give us another try.