“A "Damn Yankee's" Point of View”
Review of Monument Avenue

and up
Richmond's City Center Bike Tour
Ranked #12 of 193 things to do in Richmond
Reviewed 8 September 2017

I moved from New Jersey to Richmond, Virginia in 1971. Seriously, the culture shock was significant! I felt like I was in another country. You guys became y'all, people were hard to understand (what's an ink pin? Oh you mean a pen!) and who wants to eat a "congealed"
salad (jello) ?
Differences aside I grew to love Richmond and have lived here happily since then. When I visit NJ now they even say I have a southern accent! But I digress.
Monument Avenue is one of the lovely parts of Richmond. All of the statues are impressive, but this is somewhat influenced by my love of horses! Granted, you will mostly find Confederate generals, but note the wide avenue with well kept medians and stately homes. It's especially lovely at Christmas, when these homes are really decked out in glistening finery and sparkling lights. Portions of Monument Avenue can be appreciated by foot, but you'll have to drive for the overall effect. It's a can't miss attraction when visiting Richmond, although I must admit after a few years I was longing for Gettysburg! After all, the North won, right? LOL.

1  Thank cynthiabZ4048QJ
in 41 reviews
"median"
in 23 reviews

Reviewed 7 September 2017

Surprised by the size of some of the monuments. Beautiful neighborhood. Nice way to spend a summer's afternoon.

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

It is so cool to drive down Monument Avenue and see all the monuments filked with history. It really provides a true look at history and how far we've come.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

If you enjoy beautiful homes with a variety of late 19th and early 20th styles it is well worth exploring this beautiful avenue. The monuments are impressive, albeit presently controversial. They are well executed works of art and should be viewed in the context of when they were erected. Regardless of your views on the personalities they represent, they are a part of our history and we should not attempt to sanitize or censure our past. History is what it is and we should accept it and preserve it, warts and all. If they are somehow offensive to you, just ignore them and study the beautiful homes that dominate the Avenue. Although you can enjoy the drive down the Avenue, I suggest it would be much safer and enjoyable to walk.

3  Thank Gregg C