“Very Nice Experience”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 15 June 2018

We had a nice dinner here. The service was quite good and the meals were both tasty. We loved the setting and the neighborhood. It was a very relaxing evening.

Reviewed 15 June 2018

I went here for the first time recently. We had tickets to see Jackson Browne and wanted to go out to eat prior to the show, and we thought this would be the place to go.

The Service was a little off with our primary server, but the secondary server more than picked up the slack. The cocktails were nicely prepared, Tom Collins, frothy, made with egg whites, so good, and so was the Seersucker. The IPA Selections were good, and I had a Sour-IPA, first time for everything, and it was outstanding.

The foods and appetizers were nicely prepared, and so were the desserts. I'm glad we visited.

Reviewed 11 June 2018

Ate Sunday brunch here and sat at the bar. Bartender and staff were very friendly and understood service. Drinks were well made and the food was very good. After lunch we took a short stroll up to St. John's church where Patrick Henery gave the "Give me liberty or give me death" speech. Made for a ver good Sunday afternoon. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 8 June 2018

Ate here last night for a birthday celebration. I couldn't have asked for a better experience. I am grateful to live in a town that is becoming increasingly recognized for the quality chefs and restaurateurs. We had lovely cocktails and incredibly executed food. The wings are sublime. The young lady who served us was incredibly knowledgeable and patient with our questions. Thank you!

Reviewed 4 June 2018

This is a former (1880-1920) retail space on a corner in Church Hill. Very nice décor, old wooden floors, comfortable substantial wooden chairs. About 10 seats at bar and DR seats approx. 45. High old tin ceiling so noise level when full bit high but you can communicate. The deuces are along both walls and close, we were lucky enough to have a quiet couple seated next to us but beware if you get a loud couple will affect your dinning experience. We were here on a Thurs night and were there at opening at 5 PM, by 6 there was one four top and one deuce not occupied. Regardless of when you try the The Roosevelt I'd strongly recommend a reservation. The vibe is interesting lot of young local residents at bar, dinning room more 30 to 60 yr olds. Dress can be casual but not the place for cutoffs, workout t shirts or ball caps. At times you see some men w/a jacket on but just as often shorts or jeans.

They take pride in their "fancy" inventive cocktails. That said when my wife asked for a French Martini, our knowledgeable waitress said she was sorry but they didn't stock Chambord. I said with all the fancy unique ingredients in the cocktails they list you don't have Chambord. She laughingly said our bartenders enjoy stocking weird stuff that know one has heard of. I like their small mainly VA wine list. It won't take long to look over but I have always found something that is fine. A recommendation if you are looking for a serious red the Linden Hardscrable is excellent, and I am not normally a fan of VA wines.

We have always enjoyed the menu and food here. Not a huge menu about 10 snacks/apps/salads and same number of entrees. Generally they have a couple of specials. With the exception of the burger and veg plate that are both under $15 the other entrees generally $ 18-28. The night we were here one special was a rib eye that was priced at $ 70. Yes that is right $ 70!! I asked waitress, who seemed embarrassed to even mention the steak and price, if it was Wagyu she answered she didn't know all she knew was it was big 22 oz. Seemed out of place here.

We started w/drinks and a snack of cornbread accompanied w/a creamed bourbon & cane sugar butter. I loved the cornbread, so much like my grandmother and great aunt made in the 50's, coarse..crumbly, loved that both pieces had the outside crust which was almost burnt but I loved the flavor. My wife prefers a more creamy homogenized cornbread. The butter was nice, you could taste it was sweet but I got no hint of any bourbon flavor. The 6-7 times we have been there in the past they always had a Rockfish dish, it was borderline stunning, seems like one of us always got it. My wife was disappointed but went for the Mahi served in a bowl w/a mild tomato broth, lima beans and some white beans. She absolutely loved it. It was served hot. I had seen they had a softshell dish. I am a softshell nut, it would be a toss up for me if I had to choose between wine or softshell's and if pushed think I'd go for the softshells. The softshells were sauted and described that way. Honestly I'm old school and probably prefer fried but part of that reason is I like the crabs if sautéed done well. Find too often underdone and oily. When the dish was put in front of me I was excited, two good size crabs that appeared to be sautéed hard, great. Now here comes the but I eluded to in the title of the review. We were the 2nd party to get dinners served from the kitchen. My wife's was hot, mind not so much. I was so excited about the crabs that I attacked the first one, the flavor excellent, the doneness excellent.. I did notice not very hot but who cares right? Well about half way through the first crab I was wishing for it to be hotter. The menu describe the crabs as being accompanied by cous cous, eggplant tomato salad and a ramp tzatziki sauce. When I tasted the cous cous it was room temp at best, seemed odd. The eggplant tomato salad was actually for pieces of cooked eggplant and about same number of good size pieces of tomato. They were laying on the cool cous cous, they were warm and quite good but lost their heat on the cous cous. I got no flavor of ramp in the tzaziki sauce at all. It was correctly cold but just didn't seem to compliment a dish that was already suffering from not being hot enough. I did eat all of the crab, eggplant and tomato but very little of the cous cous or tzaziki sauce. I thought if I return while they still have softshells this summer I'll ask for just the two softshells and a couple of lemon wedges and be totally happy. My dish lacking heat seemed so odd since we were second table getting our dinner's and my wife's was correctly hot...it almost appeared the crabs had been cooked and left in a warming tray. Who knows?

Yes I recommend The Roosevelt and we will certainly return.