All reviewsclub levelharvard squaregreat locationlounge accessharvard law schoolan older buildingtaxi standhistoric hotelrestaurants and shopsbit datedquiet locationroom was spaciousordered room servicefront desk staffminute walkwould stay here againan upgrade
Reviewed 29 September 2015

I've often seen the Sheraton Commander pop up when I've searched the Starwood website for Boston hotels. It's often well priced and I've been temped to stay there (not not really knowing much about it).

Last week, I actually needed to be in Cambridge and the Commander was the obvious choice. What I did not realize is that it's really close to Harvard -- I'm sure graduation, parents' weekend, move-in week are sold out way in advance. The location makes it a real treat, for both visitors to Harvard and those that just enjoy being in and around such an incredible environment. It's walkable to the entire campus and surrounding restaurants and shops.

The hotel sure feels historic. That's of course a blend of feeling a bit dated but with a recognition that it's charm comes from being authentic. My room was huge, not luxurious, but very comfortable. It lacks many modern amenities like USB ports at the bedside and modern fixtures in the bath, but I'm sure that will come at some point at the next major renovation.

The club level lounge is very nice and offers a selection of both breakfast and afternoon food that is wider than most Sheratons.

Bottom line is that when I'm back in Cambridge I will definitely return.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled on business
mkne21, General Manager at Sheraton Commander Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2015

Dear Drosen85,

Thank you for your online review of our hotel. I'm glad you liked our proximity to Harvard and surrounding shops and restaurants. It's great that you were able to take advantage of our Sheraton Club. We look forward to seeing you return the next time you visit Cambridge.

Reviewed 26 September 2015

There's a big conference when we checked in. Then we were given a surprise upgrade to both our rooms from regular double room to suites with separate bedroom and a sitting room. Very pleased with the upgrade. The sitting was huge and sofa and chairs and TV. Bedroom with two queen beds, desk, dresser and TV. The only drawback is the ventilation is very strong and right next to one of the beds. So we needed to use pillows to block the air at night. Location is good. Very close to Harvard Square where the action resides.

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
mkne21, General Manager at Sheraton Commander Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2015

Dear MichiganTroy,

Thank you for reviewing your stay on TripAdvisor. It's nice to hear you had a memorable stay with an upgraded room. Thank you for your nice comments about our hotel and our location. Please come back soon.

Reviewed 23 September 2015

Very nice place to park for a night or more right in the very heart of Cambridge Mass, within walking distance to all of Harvard University. Nice Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Beds and pretty good accommodations with lovely well kept rooms and baths. Club Floor is quite nice and so is the breakfast that comes with it. Very reliable and free Wi-Fi for Platinum members such as myself. Parking is at a premium in this entire area, so there is a fee for parking, but it is watched by an attendant all night and safe. All in all the location and hotel is hard to beat for the price.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
mkne21, General Manager at Sheraton Commander Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2015

Dear Larry8241,

thank you for choosing the Sheraton Commander for your recent visit to Cambridge. We truly appreciate your loyalty. I'm happy you enjoyed your stay and were able to take advantage of the Sheraton Club while you were here. Please come visit us again soon.

Reviewed 17 September 2015

Great location. Lovely foyer. But very average hereon in.
The corridors were dark and had a strange smell. The rooms had renovated bathrooms but were dark. Bathrooms had very small bath towels and I had to ask multiple times for bath gel. Slow response to service. Not up to my idea of a Sheraton. Would go elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at another hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
mkne21, General Manager at Sheraton Commander Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2015

Dear Alewkap,

Thank you for offering honest feedback from your recent visit with us. I'm happy to read you enjoyed our location. We will be renovating our guest hallways this upcoming winter and recently renovated all of our guestrooms which included brighter lights in our bathrooms. I hope you will visit us again when you return to Cambridge for a flawless visit.

Reviewed 14 September 2015

I stayed here for a weekend. It was a great location for hanging out in Harvard Square, and it would be easy to get to Boston on the T from there. My room was a good size for 2 and the bed was extremely comfortable. The overall atmosphere of the hotel was nice and the parking (valet) was convenient and fast. I always appreciate free wifi!

My biggest gripe about the room was how dark it was! Even with 4 lamps turned on, it was still quite dim. I didn't spend too much time in the room, but I did try to use one of the mirrors to put my makeup on while my husband was using the bathroom and it was a challenge. (The bathroom, on the other hand, had the brightest lights I've ever seen. I'm more than aware of every pore and imperfection now.) Also, it would have been nice to have a minibar/fridge in the room. But for a weekend stay, that wasn't a big deal.

The bar and restaurant were fine. I think $27 for buffet breakfast is too expensive but I guess you're paying for the convenience of not leaving the hotel. The eggs made to order were delicious and I enjoyed the fresh fruit and the small dessert pastries. But I'm not the type of person to get one of everything from a buffet and I could have paid much less for breakfast going somewhere else. There are a number of other options for dining in Harvard Square!

The other thing that was a slight turnoff was at check-in. The receptionist asked me if I wanted to "make a green choice" and decline housekeeping. I felt a bit awkward saying no, I would like to have housekeeping come. As it turns out, I didn't end up having the room cleaned because of the time I needed to be in the room, but I think making your customer feel like they are doing something wrong by wanting to take advantage of a service traditionally offered by a hotel is not the right approach. With that said, I understand the natural resources and labor costs of daily housekeeping. I just think there could be a better way to promote conservation. I bet the reception staff feels awkward saying that to the guests.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
mkne21, General Manager at Sheraton Commander Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2015

Dear jennaklu,

Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Commander for your weekend away. I'm glad you found our proximity to Harvard Square and Boston fitting with your trip. I appreciate all of your comments and will share your feedback with my team. We look forward to seeing you return the next time you visit Cambridge.