“Worst place...Horrible experience....overcharged”
Review of Suvaai

Suvaai
Ranked #345 of 671 Restaurants in Cambridge
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I had a terrible experience at this place. First of all there was no one in the restaurant on a Saturday evening which was quite surprising. All the dishes ordered were disgusting and over-charged and the qty was so less. Even some of the trademark dishes like ceylon parota and veggie kurma was pathetic. I felt like i was served frozen dishes re-heated. I feel these types of restaurants should be inspected and closed once for all. Worthless place and food. Highly disappointed.

Reviewed 14 April 2017

The Menu is extensive; however, good to ask what are the favorite dishes of the day. The owner is also the principal chef and she buys fresh produce daily. The tastes are unique and very specific to South Asia. Be prepared to wait for your Entree....everything is cooked from scratch. Good to nibble on an appetizer while waiting. The wait is worth it.

Reviewed 15 January 2017

If you are not familiar with Sri Lankan cuisine (and I'm not), this place has some really unique dishes that you haven't had before. a must for foodies in the Boston area to try. Perhaps not the most polished staff but really friendly.

Reviewed 10 October 2016

I have never before written a negative review, but my friend and I had a terrible experience at Suvaai. We were very clear with the waitress that neither of us ate spicy food at all and asked if that was a problem. Several times she said that because each order is made from scratch, it was no problem at all. The restaurant was literally empty when we arrived for dinner, not another patron, which we probably should have recognized as a red flag.

Our starters were terribly hot/spicy and without gulping glasses of water we wouldn't have been able to eat them at all. I reminded the waitress, as a result, that my entree Dum Biryanis should not be hot/spicy at all and she fully understood. It promises "Long grain basmati rice delicately slow cooked with seasonal vegetables or a choice of your meat with special blend of Indian spices and herb." It arrived incredibly spicy and I could not eat it at all. She said she'd bring me a new one and explain better to the chef. She came back with bowl of dried up white rice. Clearly they had picked out a few pieces of now-cold lamb from my previous bowl and tossed them in. It was bland and cold and stale. My friend ordered the Kurma, known to be the least hot/spicy of the dishes and could hardly eat half of it because her mouth was on fire.

If we were in the wrong restaurant, in terms of spice, they should've said that or pointed to things on the menu they considered more appropriate. But she promised they could accommodate us.

When the check came, they had double-charged me for my dish!!! I advise all customers to read their bill carefully. Everything about the experience was a failure, including my paying for a dinner I never ate, no apologies about any errors, and a feeling afterwards of having been ripped off. It was the only time in my life that I considered not leaving a tip, but of course I did, as it wasn't clear who was responsible.

Reviewed 22 May 2016

Just amazing. So thankful this place is in my neighborhood. Best Indian grub in Cambridge, and there are lots of great ones here. Gobi 65 and Chili Chicken not to be missed.