“Home baked feel”

Price range: USD 1 - USD 20
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed 30 October 2015

What I like best about Hi-Rise is the fact that it has such a strong home made feel. The cakes are also more home style and thus it adds to the nicety of the place. While the ground floor is rather nice and warm, the upper floor has more of an empty and cold feel to it. In summer time of course the garden is a great appeal.

Reviewed 14 September 2015

I have been going to hi-rise for over 15 years. Over this time, there have been incidents that I have overlooked. My sister used to frequent with me and had a terrible experience when she ask for her 6 year old son to use the bathroom and they said NO! He had to go behind their dumpster to go the bathroom.

I went today, Sunday around 2:15 p.m. as they close at 3 p.m. I do not mind to pay the expensive prices but expect a min of customer service. My favorite sandwich, Il Presidente, they have removed from the menu...fine...the replacement had things I wanted to modify. First the girl told me I could not modify again they are chargin premium prices and the store was not busy...then I went to order my son a specific soda that another boy was having....I pointed to the boy's drink, the counter staff said rudely....I can't read lips so what do you want because I was pointing and not looking directly at her! I wanted to basically walk out...I then ordered my son a hot dog...I waited for ten minutes and went to check on it...she said rudely I gave it to your husband which was another family so then it was almost three and she told me they would not cook me a hot dog for my son when they had given it to the wrong table...customer service has never been their strong suit and I have overlooked it for years but now...I will never patron the bakery again as there are so many choices in the area and I refuse to waste a sunday afternoon to be stressed, overcharged, rudeness, and walk out without my son getting fed.

Again, their rude behavior far outweighs the good quality of food they serve at a premium price.

Reviewed 14 August 2015

This Hi-Rise is in a mostly residential section of Cambridge. We went several times for breakfast and had various specialties, a basket of mixed toast and different breakfast sandwiches. One day the toast was a really delightful assortment of different types of bread, the next it was just two kinds, a challah and something else, a little more boring. It comes with their homemade jam which is really good. If you're with a group of people and run out of jam, prepare to pay extra. There are no free re-fills for coffee and you're better off with a custom coffee like an Americano than their regular drip. The serving is larger. There's a communal table and lots of small rickety tables. The places fills up for breakfast and lunch and Cambridge's finest can get very pushy over the seating. They could expand the seating to improve their business and offer better service overall.

1  Thank HuntressCA
Reviewed 30 November 2014

Unless you have time to drive to Anarosa's in Salisbury for the REAL thing, this is the next best bread scene in Boston. Go. Try. Eat.

ALso: the wine is pretty good and they offer six packs of wine for $60. Also, they make an EXCELLENT roast chicken for take out. Try that -- it is truly spectacular.

2  Thank Shantap
Reviewed 7 October 2014

i have to say the quality is great but the prices are outragous! i was sitting with my son at a communal table so no service etc..which is fine been going for years...i looked over an observed an apple pie was well over $25 dollars for something not that big..i was thinking...apples are in season and what can you do to a simple recipe to warrant the price....the sandwichs are good but overpriced.... realized there are other local choices are much better prices for comparible quality

1  Thank siobheanf