“Charming comfortable hotel with character and convenient.”
Review of Kendall Hotel

Kendall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I stayed for three nights in March 2012 with my son. Staff was incredibly helpful and friendly. The room was large and comfortable with lots of character and furnished with sturdy, not fragile, antiques. Bathroom was comfortably sized, large desk, free wi-fi. It used to be an old firehouse, Engine 7, and the decor is charming with old pictures of MIT crew, firefihters, embroidered mementos, etc. Breakfast was great with a lot of choices served cafeteria style in back room, then you have to carry tray to tables in front lobby of hotel where additional coffee and juice were set up for refills.

The hotel is reasonably-priced compared to the price of the other chain hotel in the area. There is no view from the rooms (nor from their wine-tasting look-out tower above where one computer and printer is available to guests), but really it doesn't matter unless you expect a view of the Charles or a skyline. The hotel has no room service, but the front desk did launder shirts for us which I dropped off and picked up myself. Rooms have ice buckets, no fridge, and there is an ice machine and vending machines for water, sodas and snacks in lobby. The black sheep restaurant is in the lobby, which was nice for the end of a long day, and I was given a $10-20 off voucher (can't remember the amount) upon check-in.

COnvenience is the strongpoint of this hotel located next to trolley Kendall Square stop, down the street from a dry cleaners/tailors, post office, restaurants, cafes. Across the street is the MIT Coop, Legal Seafood, and a free bus (!) that takes you back and forth from the Galleria shopping mall. Just as convenient as the larger chain hotels, but so much more charming, friendly and comfortable. Women would probably appreciate this hotel a lot more than men.
Not for people who want modern or sleek or hotel services.

The only negative was repairs that were being done all day on the floor, so there was a lot of banging during working hours, when I needed to rest and do some work. Walls are thin...

Room Tip: I was near elevator on 5th floor and corner room was comfortably large, faced legal sea food/sidewal...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank smartiq

Reviewed 26 March 2012

I spent two weeks at the Kendall, working long, unsociable hours. The staff were very supportive and accommodating. I subsequently came back for three further visits - a regular home from home.

Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank ispydi
Reviewed 22 March 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel in the middle of March, visiting a friend and enjoying St. Patrick's Day in Boston. I have nothing bad to say about it! Can't beat the location - right on MIT campus, right next to the red-line "T". Only takes a few minutes to get up to Harvard, or even downtown. Very clean, staff was friendly and while the rooms were pretty basic, they were nice. Actually were even a little bigger than I thought they'd be. They have a wine reception in the evenings, but only Mon-Thurs. The breakfast was tasty, with a nice selection of both hot and cold food. I really like the fact that it was in an old Fire house, and the decor suited the building well. My only complaint was that some work was being done behind the building (back-side of the hotel) that woke me up before 7 am several days. Not necessarily the hotel's fault, but would have liked to enjoy the bed a little longer. However, it wouldn't change my mind to go back!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Stayed here for one night. Hotel is nice with free wine hour from 5-6:00 Monday-Thursday. I used their guest computer to print our boarding passes for the next day. Room is nice and not your typical hotel room look. It's decorated in non-traditional bedding, wall art work, and furniture. Our room theme is red, white and blue with quilts. They love globes; they are everywhere.

Bathroom is tile floor in and older looking pattern. The bathroom is in good repair and clean. Shower head is fancy, but has little water pressure. I ran out of hot water and I wasn't taking a long shower.

Breakfast is included in the price of the room. ($261.57 for 3 with 2 queen beds). This is the most I have ever paid for a room, but location and safety were critical this time.

We have enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I would absolutely stay here again without question. The next time I need a hotel in the Boston area, I will go straight to Kendall Hotel.

I arrived around 1:15 pm for a 3 pm check-in. I knew that I was quite early, but I wanted to see if it was at least possible to drop off my bags. The staff member helping me was extremely professional, helpful, friendly and service minded. He called housekeeping to see if they could prioritize my room and let me know that it would be ready around 2 pm. In the meantime, he offered to let me use the free internet upstairs. I was impressed that there was also a printer at the hotel--a perfect, extra touch, which really helps when you need to print out a street map / details.

The room was actually very large and I was surprised. The decor was great and really made me feel like I was in New England. Clean, spacious & great.

The breakfast was excellent. I am a bit picky because I need to eat something healthy in the morning. They had a large fruit tray & oatmeal with lots of toppings, plus eggs--and indulgences like croissants, pastry, etc. I was quite content with both healthy & not-so-healthy choices available.

The hotel was a 2 minute walk from the T stop, which is very convenient. It's located right near MIT and within a nice, but longer walk to Harvard. Otherwise, Harvard is only 2 stops away. It's more of a quiet area, but that was fine for me since I was there on business. However, I would definitely consider this location for a couples stay.

I also have to mention how impressed I was with all of the staff. Everyone was professional, helpful, and service-minded. That's something that you don't always get. Service, quality, cleanliness, location all make this a top choice for me.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank BR2100
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Kimpton Marlowe Hotel
#3 of 84 in Boston
Back Bay
Courtyard Boston Copley Square

Recently Reviewed Hotels around Cambridge

Been to Kendall Hotel? Share your experiences!