“The gem of the visit!”
Review of Apsaalooke Tours

Apsaalooke Tours
Reviewed 14 June 2015 via mobile

I had not originally planned on doing the tour, but my husband really wanted to, and after finding the information at the visitors center to be a little disjointed I agreed.
I'm so glad I agreed!
For my family (2 parents and 4 kids ages 2 to 8) we paid $30.
Our tour guide (I think his name was Tim) was incredibly well educated on the battle and presented a well balanced and detailed account of the battle and major players. It was enough to keep the adults intrigued, but was also understandable for my 6 and 8 year old. He answered numerous questions and even chatted with our family twice after the tour. Definitely recommend taking the tour and taking it with Tim if you are able!

3  Thank Chris M
"greasy"
"warriors"
"visitors"

Reviewed 8 May 2015

I have a lot of respect for the native peoples and frequently on my travels, I go out of my way to seek out experiences that enhance my understanding of their plight. I also previously read a great deal on this battle and knew most of the details. I've also had moving and contemplative experiences in the four corners and with Hopi and Navajo tours.

For our family of five we paid about $50.

This tour left us disappointed in several ways.

It began with the fact that our tour left more than ten minutes late, but ended on time, thus depriving us of ten minutes. You might think that's not significant, but the 60 minutes of the tour is mostly taken up with the drive to and from the Reno-Benteen battlefield where there is a stop of about 15 minutes. While the anecdotes provided by our guide were interesting, they seemed to all be "off the cuff" remarks and his disjointed and mumbled presentation was difficult to hear and very difficult for my kids to understand since it jumped all around the place. They were bored and got little out of it.

When we got to the Reno-Benteen stop, our 15 minutes was reduced to a little more than five minutes. We had planned to walk to a couple of the markers but didn't have time before the bus began tooting its horn, breaking the silence of what should be a reverent place. When the bus arrived back at the visitor center I was surprised that the guide gave no mention at all of Last Stand Hill even though we drove right across it.

With my children now thoroughly bored and hot, they retreated back to the visitor center while I made the trek from the parking area back up last stand hill to look at the monuments.

If back in the area I will avoid this tour and I can't recommend it. It got two stars from me because I think the guides and the tour company are trying to do a good job and maybe this was just a bad day and the guide was a substitute. But in the end it doesn't matter to me because this was my one day at the park and they had one chance to get it right and they let me down. They actually managed to make our day less enjoyable. I hope they improve or I don't expect them to last long as a tour company.

3  Thank copperdragon66
Reviewed 14 June 2014

This one hour bus tour of the Little Bighorn Battlefield was very interesting. It presented the battles from the Indians' point of view. I learned a great deal from the tour.

4  Thank Laurie M

Been to Apsaalooke Tours? Share your experiences!