“Great food”

Ranked #101 of 518 Restaurants in Springfield
Reviewed 29 May 2017 via mobile

Stopped by for lunch Friday
Has the special, 2 maid rites, fries and root beer for 7.99
Left full. Bring cash since I'm not sure they take debit.

Reviewed 6 April 2017

They claim to be the first business to ever have a drive-up window, in Springfield I presume. Their signature is a maid-rite, which is a sandwich made from ground beef, not a patty, loose on a bun with special spices and you can add cheese, I try and eat there every time I am on that side of town around noon. They have fries and root beer floats. A must try if your in Springfield.

Reviewed 31 March 2017 via mobile

Not only was the food awesome, the owner, Sam, was the best! We came in and right away he asked what we'd have. We said not sure. He told us what the specials were and asked if I knew what a horseshoe was and told my son he had to try a Maid-Rote since he could have a hot dog anywhere. My eight year old, being the pickiest child I know, actually took him up on it. I said I'd have the horseshoe since I'd kept hearing about them. We also had to try the root beer that Sam makes himself. The food was up fast and they do take credit despite the old sign of "cash only" on the drive thru.
The horseshoe was just so delicious. Highly recommend you try it. A steamed bun on the bottom fries smothered with cheese on top and generous maid-rite loose meat on the very top. Oh so good!
My son ate the plain maid-rite with cheese (all of it) and a cheese fry.
The root beer is the best I've ever had, anywhere. Its got sugar, vanilla and sarsaparilla and just the right amount of each because it has superb taste without being too sweet or too artificial. Yum!
The maid-rite generally also comes with a little bit of pickle, mustard and onion too. My husband and rest of the fam came in after and got these. He said it was delicious.
There were two other people that were in there and they were very friendly, as well. They had advice about what to see and of course wanted to know if we were Cubs fan, which we are.
Sam said to sign the guestbook and then told us a bit of the history of the place. He said it's the first drive thru in the U.S. The original 1924 building is one half, it used to have two drive up windows, one of which they still use. The rest was added in the 70s. Sam's been the owner for about 31 years now. You can tell he really loves his job! Real helpful and friendly.
After asking the kids their ages, he told each of them a juke box song for their age to play, made it seem real special. They loved it. Oh and one song still only cost a quarter here!
Then Sam makes the kids ice cream cones complete with sprinkles.
Everyone left happy with smiles on their faces. We will for sure be back there someday! Not soon enough. This was the best overall--owner, staff, patrons, conversation, food, root beer, history--completely awesome!

1  Thank mowakey
Reviewed 19 March 2017 via mobile

This place is on the historical register. Pretty cool to think it was there in 1923.

I loved the food. We had the sandwiches and fries. Of course we drank the homemade root beer and then finished off with a root beer float.

The sandwiches aren't typical hamburgers but more like sloppy joes without the sauce.

The workers are super friendly and very accommodating to our granddaughter who wasn't eager to try anything.

Definitely worth the stop.

Reviewed 14 March 2017

We just happened to be driving by. We have been doing Route 66 for a few months now. We are going back to fairly local places and exploring more thoroughly. We have never had a maid rite sandwich before. It is a loose meat sandwich with seasoning and you can put ketchup or mustard on it. The fries were homemade and pretty good. The best part was the homemade root beer. It was served in a frosty mug and very smooth. I loved the original part of the restaurant from 1924. It was made out of a train caboose. The original booths and chairs were very cool. They were small but people were smaller back in those days. They had a neat juke box in the dining room. The addition was added in the 80's. They also boast that they have the first drive through in the country as well. The staff was wonderful. They explained everything on the menu and told us about the history of the building as well. We really enjoyed it.

Been to Maid-Rite? Share your experiences!