“The oldest residence in Springfield!”
Review of Elijah Iles House

Elijah Iles House
Reviewed 3 September 2014

My family and I arrived just in time to see "Mr. Lincoln" walking a small group of visitors from the Lincoln Home National Historic Site to the Elijah Iles House. We caught up to their walking tour on the way to the House.
"Mr. Lincoln" was a delight as he talked to us about the town and our destination: The Elijah Iles House. Once inside, we proceeded to the lower level for a talk about historical events during his Presidency-- in character! The staff even provided refreshments (cookies and lemonade) while we sat and listened.
"Mr.Lincoln" graciously posed for pictures with me and my family. What a delightful experience!

Date of experience: July 2014
8  Thank Therese H
All reviews
"springfield history"
"founding fathers"
in 2 reviews
"tour guides are very knowledgeable"
"the lower level"
"lincoln's home"
"basement"
"oldest"
"collection"
"visitors"

Reviewed 26 November 2013

A friend volunteers giving guided tours of this quaint family home of Elijah Iles and his connection to Abe and Mary "Todd" Lincoln and many influential statesmen that visited this home.

Date of experience: December 2012
5  Thank Mj B
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I happened on this house at 3:30 on a Saturday, and was I lucky! I was the last tour, so I got a wonderful and informative tour! This house belonged to one of the founders of Springfield, and I believe it may be the oldest house in Springfield. The house has been moved twice and the stories of those moves are fascinating!

Date of experience: August 2013
4  Thank LovesTravel524
Reviewed 12 July 2013

There was a strawberry fest in the back yard during our walk to this house. And the son of one of the former owners of the house was on our tour - making it really special. The house was literally moved across town - that must have been something. The house has such ornate features and is something to see. Again - FREE - The strawberry daiquiris we purchased (donations) at the Fest were out of this world - it was hot on this day & I don't care for alcohol but I drank two of these babies. Very little alcohol in them. Awesome.

Date of experience: July 2013