“Thumbs up”
Review of Elijah Iles House

Elijah Iles House
Reviewed 12 July 2013

There was a strawberry fest in the back yard during our walk to this house. And the son of one of the former owners of the house was on our tour - making it really special. The house was literally moved across town - that must have been something. The house has such ornate features and is something to see. Again - FREE - The strawberry daiquiris we purchased (donations) at the Fest were out of this world - it was hot on this day & I don't care for alcohol but I drank two of these babies. Very little alcohol in them. Awesome.

4  Thank Diana N
All reviews
"springfield history"
in 3 reviews
"founding fathers"
in 2 reviews
"tour guides are very knowledgeable"
"basement"
in 3 reviews
"home"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 12 June 2013

Very enjoyable "first" house of Springfield & accompanying museum. Tour guides are very knowledgeable. Camp Butler Exhibit in the lower level was unique and educational. A short walk from Lincoln's home.

4  Thank Steven G
Reviewed 28 October 2012

The tour guide was very informative, and the house was wonderful. They have photographs of when the house was moved to its current location and my daughter was fascinated by how they did it. The watch museum in the basement was VERY interesting, and if you have an old watch, they can authenticate it for you! The tour is free, but donations are greatly appreciated.

4  Thank Tony T
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Wonderful experience; a real jewel! I have to go back as the watch museum was not open on the lower level.

See more reviews
Reviewed 17 April 2012

This was the best tour of a historical home, you could possibly ask for. It is a spacious, beautifully restored home, that was the first in Springfield. I thought the portrait above the fireplace looked like Wayne Newton of Las Vegas fame. I bet they were related somehow.

Our tour guide was a very educational, informed, gentleman, and was very enthusastic, and passionate about the history of this home. He knew the small details and pointed them out to us. It made us feel like we were somehow in an inner circle of knowing the past secrets of the home and it's owners. He explained the porch ceiling was painted blue, because it kept the wasp from boring in the wood and building nest. The wasp thought it was the sky. Wow I didn't know that. Then he showed us the basement and a wonderful museum of the Illinois Watch collection and history. This man was extremely intresting and made this one of the best tours I have ever been on. There was a lot more to tell, but I'll let you find out for yourself. DO IT.

6  Thank ann251