“Great Pizza”

J. T. Costelloe's Pizza Pub and Bar
Ranked #196 of 526 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 28 May 2018

We went there because we had heard they had a salad bar. What is on the salad bar isn’t worth the price. After looking over the menu for quite some time, we ordered a pizza. It was quite good with crisp crust. We did ask for light sauce but it still had too much sauce on it for us. But the sauce had kind of a sweet taste to it that complimented the peppers and sausage.

The menu seems to have quite a few appetizers, several sandwiches and horseshoes. The menu also includes a child’s menu so might be a place to try with a family though I didn’t really look at what was offered on the child’s menu.

Date of visit: May 2018

Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

My husband and I went here on a Saturday afternoon for pizza and really loved the variety of FRESH pizza topping options (fresh spinach, fresh mushrooms, feta, sundried tomatoes, etc) that you don't find at most other area pizza establishments. It is a bit on the salty side, but very good!

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 4 December 2016 via mobile

Neither of us could eat all of it bc the portions were larger than our tummies could handle. Service was also excellent would just love to see lunch hours back through the week.

Date of visit: December 2016
Reviewed 6 September 2016 via mobile

I'd give them another chance, but my wife says if I do, I'll be going without her.

We had a pizza. It was covered (literally) with burnt cornmeal. I worked a pizza oven in college so I understand the purpose of the cornmeal, but I also know you use a long handled oven brush to clean the baking surface after every use--otherwise your pizzas are covered in little pieces of foul tasting "charcoal". Which is what happened here.

Any other remarks about the food or service aren't important. We paid $20 for a 14 inch pizza that was ruined by the kitchen.

Date of visit: September 2016
1  Thank jamestruman
Reviewed 10 July 2015

While visiting Springfield IL. (after moving away in 2004), I came across this place. it was after 9pm, and I was hungry. Usually when I come back to my hometown, I usually hit up all my old favorites, but this place is a newbie to me, and decided to give it a try. I ordered the all meat pizza (sausage, pepperoni, bacon, ham)...it was REALLY GOOD!!! the crust was thin, and they totally LOADED the pizza with toppings...which makes me a happy guy, because nothing irritates me more than buying a pizza, and getting just a piece of sausage or pepperoni here and there. Yes sir....this sucker was LOADED with meat!!!! the pizza was pretty flavorful too, certainly not bland whatsoever. Now...I have seen some reviews about where they said it was "too salty", but I didn't really get that...I'm assuming those reviewers are probably into bland hospital-type food (lol). Although...I wouldn't exactly say this is the best pizza place that Springfield has to offer, but it is darn good, and totally worth a trip to the Chatham area to get even if you lived on the North end of Springfield.

Date of visit: July 2015