“Concerned about the railings & top level”

Prairie Capital Convention Center
Reviewed 1 April 2017

We came here for a High School State Wrestling Tournament. The employees were kind & helpful. The food was expensive (as to be expected) but good. My main complaint is the railings. There is big gaps between the horizontal poles; if a child or small adult were to fall coming down the steps or trip in the isle, they could go right between the poles. My other concern is the height of the poles; I'm only 5'3" & the height was a little below my waist, any pole that is not at or above your waist, you can flip over if you were pushed/bumped into for example. And the very top level of seating is extremely steep, I could see how someone could easily fall, and on that level, there is no extra railing protection, so again a child or adult could fall over the edge. So, I would not recommend getting seating on the very top level, & I would be cautious walking down the steps/in the isles due to the insufficient protection against possible falls.

Reviewed 14 February 2017

Plenty of seating at the convention center to watch performances. Only negative I can state, is that they need hand railing for all the steps on the floor level seating, as I watched a friend's elderly parent tumble down the steps this weekend.

1  Thank Sandy W
Reviewed 7 November 2016

We attended a small cheerleading competition here. Parking was right across the street and only cost $5. The venue was clean, loud speakers were clear for speakers and music, bathrooms easy to find with plenty of stalls for girls (but some people had problems finding the sinks), seating was as comfortable as one would expect of this type of venue, food choices were standard.

Reviewed 15 October 2016

This 3-block long site has been around for decades and houses some of our city's greatest pastimes, including sports venues. In my experience as an AmeriCorps Member, this is the second year in a row that we have had our Annual National Recognition Day, led by our Serve Illinois Executive Director Scott McFarland, held there. Our events are always well-planned and carried out, but this "monster of an attraction" is so spacious and very accommodating for all events. It gives our 1600-strong Illinois Members plenty of room to move around and network the correct way. Whatever the event at "The Center," it's always fun and relaxing; for the most part.