“So-so”

Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, Omaha
Ranked #63 of 83 Hotels in Omaha
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This is obviously an older property. There has been a lot of cosmetic upgrades to the property but little in the way of substantial upgrades. The unit itself was clean. The halls were also clean. The elevator had a lot of stains on the floor and you could see where the old wall panels had been located. The furniture in the room was outdated and there were stains on the furniture upholstery. The property consists of four buildings which are not connected. We were located as far away from the registration center as possible. It is a long walk to the registration center and that is where the continental breakfast is located. The continental breakfast was above average and good. But if you have any mobility problems you might ask to be in a room close to the registration center. There is an outdoor pool and it appeared to be well kept up and clean. We got to the room late the first night and there was no soap in the room. We had body wash with us so we just let it go. We were there for two nights and we left a “do not disturb” sign on the doorknob the next day. When we got back it was obvious the cleaning service had been in the room. They left soap, but now we had no wash cloths. This was the first time we had been in a hotel where the cleaning service entered our room with a “do not disturb” sign on the door knob. The courtyard area had many iron handrails and guards and many were completely rusted through. The parking spots are very narrow and parking can be an issue. The property as a whole needs major renovations. Overall it was not a really bad experience but certainly not good. The price was reasonable for a suite and the staff was friendly. I rate it a two only because I can't give a 1 ½. I'm rather on the fence whether I would recommend this property or stay here again and leaning towards not. If I find later on that major renovations have been done I will reconsider.

Room Tip: Ask to stay close to the registration center.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wundirboy
Greg C, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, Omaha, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for the honest review of our hotel, we do appreciate you taking the time to provide us feedback. I apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay and I will use this review to help improve our operations. We have started renovations on the hotel and are going to address the issues mentioned here and should be completed by early 2015. Thank you again for the review and we hope to see you again on your next trip to Omaha!

Regards,

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We were late arriving to the hotel. I called at 7pm to let the front desk clerk know that we would be there around 2am. She said that was fine. When we arrived, the clerk who let us in said that we made it by the skin of our teeth - he was going to cancel our reservation. It was 1:45, and I told him that I had called to let them know. Not sure why he would cancel on us...Anyway, he gave us our room key and we went to find a parking space. Parking lot spaces were very narrow. Almost everyone was double parked, so we had to park around to the other side of the building. When we got to our room, we found out that we were upgraded to a suite. It had a room with a king sized bed, a living room area, kitchenette, a room with 2 full beds, and 2 bathrooms. The king size bedroom reeked of mildew. It was so bad that we closed the door to the room and all 4 of us stayed in the 2 full beds. Since it was 2am and we were exhausted, we didn't want to have to switch to another room. It would of been ok had the room not smelled so bad.

2  Thank amy l
Greg C, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, Omaha, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Amy,

We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback of our Hawthorn Suites in Omaha. I apologize for the negative experience in our hotel and I would love to speak with you in greater detail so we can have our maintenance and housekeeping staff address the issues mentioned here. Any opportunity to improve our service will be done and we welcome any and all feedback our guests have. Please reach out to me at 402-397-7500 ext. 405 or email me at grcoleman@live.com to discuss your reservation.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Room had a very dirty chair with huge holes in it. Carpet was dirty, not vacuumed for ages. Toilet in our bath broken, had to use spare room's. No bath towels, used spare room's. Bed linens acceptable & am breakfast acceptable. Outdoor stairs were quite rusted and littered. Felt rooms weren't used very often & staff did quick walkthru that was'nt very efficient. Due to a time limit we did not complain to the front desk until checkout.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham
1  Thank dcfrisbie

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hawthorn Suites in Omaha, NE and we appreciate the feedback. As the hotel was recently purchased in mid-June, we will be going through a renovation in which every shortcoming you experienced will be addressed. Please reach out to me if you return to Omaha and I will ensure your room is of the highest quality we can provide. I can be reached at 402-397-7500 ext. 405, I hope to hear from you.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Visiting Omaha to attend a wedding, I stayed with my wife and two teen children for a couple of nights. Baseball College World Series was taking place during our visit. Accordingly when we made the reservation 10 weeks ahead, most hotels were already full and we could only find a King suite available in this hotel. I found out later that I paid more than double the regular price but it still was less than other hotels in the same category during this special event.

The suite consisted of a king bedroom, Living room with a sofa bed, and a Kitchen. We drove to Omaha so my son brought his camping cot thus the four of us had a reasonable bedding.
The bed was in a room separate from the living room which had the couch/sofa. The suite was spacious, clean, and comfortable. The hotel seems a little old but not run down. However the carpet and the sofa cloth cover looked outdated, nevertheless, they were clean. The furniture in our suite #216 was not modern but it was adequate and in a good shape. The suite had a full kitchen, Frigidaire, stove, microwave. We were outside most of the time so we didn't use the kitchen much. Also we didn't have a chance to use the pool but we saw a lot of families there. There was an exercise room in the main building that my kids used. They said it was small with 3 machines but it did its purpose for them.

The hotel offered standard hot breakfast: cereal, egg, sausage or bacon, French toast or potatoes, waffle, apple, and juice. Both the breakfast and the seating area were satisfying.

Note:
After my stay I have seen some pictures posted by guests showing some rooms with stains and mold. We didn't see that in the suite we rented so I am not sure if we were lucky enough to stay in one of the better maintained suites, or if problem has been re-mediated since these pictures were taken?

Things I liked:
*** The rooms design. Both living room and bedroom had its own door which offered privacy.
*** Front desk was responsive and friendly (Chris).
*** Each of the bedroom and the living room had a flat screen TV.
*** Beds and pillows were comfortable including the pull out sofa-bed.
*** Close to highway and off 72nd but in the same time in a quiet area.

Thing not so great:
*** The layout of the hotel. It is composed of several separate buildings. Rooms are in a different building than front desk and breakfast area. You need to go outside and walk to the main building for breakfast. This didn't present a problem for us but it will be inconvenient during cold or snowy weather.
*** Although there was a lot of parking places around the different building, parking areas were tight to get in and out especially there were some cars parked poorly. It may be better if you back into the parking stall to make it easier upon exiting.
*** We couldn't get to Wi-Fi when we returned to the hotel on Saturday night and got a message saying ‘number of connection exceeded limit’. Seems this was related to the fact that the hotel was 100% full and the network was not equipped to handle that many people connecting at the same time.
*** A nuisance only, several power plugs in the suite were not working however there was a lot of plugs. We just needed to check if the plug is working or not before using it.

Summary:
*** Good for a family with children. Good value for the money. Old property but judging only on the building and suite that we stayed at, it was clean.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank ah_dallas

Thank you for providing feedback of our Hawthorn Suites in Omaha, NE. I will certainly share your comments with our staff as we can use your detailed comments to better our operation. The hotel was recently purchased and will be undergoing a renovation, which we at the hotel are very excited about! We will look forward to your next reservation should you travel to Omaha again.

Regards,

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Stayed here with our boys baseball team for a tournament/CWS visit. Hotel was well below expectations. The outside of the hotel buildings have chipping/faded paint, rotten boards, and a general look of a place in desperate need of update and care. The inside was worse. The stairwells were filthy, with piles of dirt and leaves in most corners. The carpet was dirty in all the hallways. The carpet in our room was dirty, and both days the cleaning crew didn't replace our towels. When requesting clean towels at the front desk we were told both days that they were in the laundry, and they would put us on a list for them to be delivered. They never came. Staff was very rude and unhelpful. Also, during our stay the cleaning crew left multiple doors open, and many items were stolen from multiple rooms. Saw at least two police visits during our time, and the staff verbally argued with several guests in regards to these issues. No apologies, no attempts to correct them, but verbal disagreements. Our group rented 13 rooms, and no one was satisfied with their stay. We will not be returning here in the future.

3  Thank Brent S