“New Review for Day Santa Train”

Nevada Southern Railway Excursion
Ranked #14 of 46 things to do in Boulder City
Reviewed 13 December 2015

Last year I wrote the pajama train was fun but the kids couldn't see out the window because it was so dark out; so this year we went at 3:00. Seeing out the window is highly over rated, next year I'm back on the PJ train in the club car...Santa and his helpers were great though, day trip takes about 25 minutes; longer for the PJ trip

Reviewed 12 November 2015

Take your child for a ride on the Santa train in Boulder City NV. Last year I took my two grandsons on the pajama Santa train in the club car and they really liked it but they looking out the window was pitch black. The ride was fun with cookies and hot chocolate and a story reading, a group singing and of course Santa. This year we're going to go again but do the daytime ride so they can see something

2  Thank DonnaLColeman
Reviewed 8 September 2015

Fun little train trip to get out of the city for a few hours. Would be nice if the train travelled a few miles further but it looked like the little kids were having fun.

3  Thank Mike S
Reviewed 27 May 2015

Took a brake from Las Vegas and headed to Boulder City to see the Nevada Southern Railway Museum and Excursion. Kind of small but pretty cool if you are even slightly into trains. Both attractions are at the same place and with the 40 minute train ride should take you from 1 hour to 1.5 hours depending on how much time you spend at the museum. Then museum is a bunch of old trains from steam to electric diesel that you can explore. There is even an engine that was used to move nuclear rocket engines around to different test sites.
The excursion is a short 20 minute ride along the highway and a 20 minute ride back the same track (just in reverse). Not much to see but the conductor talked about how the trains helped develop this part of the country and the Hoover Dam.
Kid of all ages will enjoy this quit and inexpensive stop on your way to/from Hoover Dam.

3  Thank Davis S
Reviewed 11 May 2015

Visited on a Sunday afternoon and had a great time. While not as extensive of a "museum" as some facilities, it is still very nice. Most of the work is done by volunteers and there are a number of pieces of rolling stock that you can check out, including a mail car, which I found to be quite interesting.

The excursion is a nice way to send an hour our so, but I believe it only operates on weekend. The price is great $10, although I splurged and paid $35 to ride in the engine. I figured I may never get another chance to do so and am glad I did. The engineers were great guys and it was neat seeing the view from the front. They also shared a lot of stories and history that I doubt if you would get riding in "coach."

If you don't like trains, then I don't know if this is a good use of your time, but I loved it!

3  Thank Hokiechip