Nevada Southern Railway Excursion
Open today: 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Review Highlights
Go for the ride in the engine if you can

My partner and I took this train ride a couple of weeks ago and I booked for him to go in the... read more

Reviewed 5 days ago
binthere-dunit
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Great Little Excursion

If you are looking for something to do in the Las Vegas Area? This little Excursion is a must for... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
jtsllb3
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

All reviews train ride great for kids yucca hoover dam engine volunteers aboard cars track journey
Reviewed 27 May 2015

Took a brake from Las Vegas and headed to Boulder City to see the Nevada Southern Railway Museum and Excursion. Kind of small but pretty cool if you are even slightly into trains. Both attractions are at the same place and with the 40 minute train ride should take you from 1 hour to 1.5 hours depending on how much time you spend at the museum. Then museum is a bunch of old trains from steam to electric diesel that you can explore. There is even an engine that was used to move nuclear rocket engines around to different test sites.
The excursion is a short 20 minute ride along the highway and a 20 minute ride back the same track (just in reverse). Not much to see but the conductor talked about how the trains helped develop this part of the country and the Hoover Dam.
Kid of all ages will enjoy this quit and inexpensive stop on your way to/from Hoover Dam.

3  Thank Davis S
Reviewed 11 May 2015

Visited on a Sunday afternoon and had a great time. While not as extensive of a "museum" as some facilities, it is still very nice. Most of the work is done by volunteers and there are a number of pieces of rolling stock that you can check out, including a mail car, which I found to be quite interesting.

The excursion is a nice way to send an hour our so, but I believe it only operates on weekend. The price is great $10, although I splurged and paid $35 to ride in the engine. I figured I may never get another chance to do so and am glad I did. The engineers were great guys and it was neat seeing the view from the front. They also shared a lot of stories and history that I doubt if you would get riding in "coach."

If you don't like trains, then I don't know if this is a good use of your time, but I loved it!

3  Thank Hokiechip
Reviewed 8 May 2015

We visited the railway on a Sunday morning a little after 10 o'clock and there was hardly anyone there so we had the whole place pretty much to ourselves. We missed the 10 o'clock train so we had to wait for the 11:30 one. We walked around and looked at the refurbished train cars and we even got to take a smaller ride to the bone yard before boarding for the bigger train. The only thing I didn't like on the smaller open air train car to the bone yard was the tour guide. He was overly loud and boisterous. There are a couple of trains that you can walk into and check out; we especially liked the one that was used for the mail.

When we finally boarded we were allowed to sit anywhere we wanted and were told once the train got going we could walk around and change seats too. We chose an open air trolley with bench type seats. It was a chilly, windy day but it was worth it to spend the ride with the fresh air. On the way back towards the end of the ride it did get a little cold so we opted to move into one of the enclosed coaches to get warm.

The ride took almost 40 minutes but I wished we could have ridden longer I liked it so much! The scenery is very pretty and there are lots of great photo opportunities. There is a tiny gift shop and clean restrooms. Also, there are several fast food options in the area in case you're looking for a quick bite to eat.

The cost to ride is very reasonable at only ten dollars per person for adults and we had a dollar off coupon that we found online. They only operate on the weekends and at certain times. Check their website or call before visiting. If you're visiting Vegas and like this type of thing I highly recommend a visit; it was one of my favorite things we did while on vacation.

3  Thank funinthesun037
Reviewed 18 April 2015

My title says it all! Rolled up at 12:42pm for the 1pm train and by the time we left the station, the train was nearly full of young and old and lots of families.

Was great to just relax and look at the scenery from something besides a car window. Great for those who like old train cars and history. Didn't hear much of the narrative because I was too busy enjoying the scenery.

We took the Donkey engine out to the yard and was interesting to see future projects and to hear a bit more about how rail built the state of Nevada from the many dedicated volunteers.

Oh and some of the cleanest bathrooms I have ever experienced!

Recommend for those interested in rail and for young families looking for something fun to do together for an afternoon.

2  Thank Earth_Pal
Reviewed 12 February 2015

This is a nice diversion for young and old. They have a short excursion with narrative along the way. Several restored pieces of equipment to view and the history this railway played in building the Hoover dam is worth the short jaunt from Vegas. They operate on weekends and if your nearby or a railway lover membership is reasonable to support this bit of history.

2  Thank Barb D