Alaska Budget Motel
USD 208
ClarionHotels
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 231/night.

USD 335
USD 246
  • Spa
USD 270
USD 212
Anchorage Grand Hotel(Anchorage)(Great Value!)
USD 233
USD 301
Hotel Alyeska(Girdwood)
USD 362
Orbitz.com
See what travellers are saying:
A TripAdvisor Member
Bend, OR
Reviewed 20 April 2004

Readers, find somewhere else to stay! This place is a dive.

Without knowing what I was getting into, I booked this place online.
Here's the treatment I received:

They charged me more for a non-smoking room (which is illegal).

The roof started leaking after just a few hours of my arrival. I asked for another room, "no way" they said. I asked for my money back or even half my money back... "no way" they said. When I checked out, I was given dirty looks and not even a "thank you".

The building is adjacent to a busy street and I didn't get any sleep due to loud traffic. My room smelled of smoke anyways. There are no outside lights and the building is very scary at night to enter or exit.

This place is NOT near downtown. It has a homeless shelter and a junkyard as its neighbors.

Find somewhere else to stay.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded 19 May 2004

Operating a motel is a delicate business. We mustensure that all guests enjoy a quiet, peaceful stay,even if it results in resentment from individuals whobehave without regard to others.The conflict with the guest who wrote this review wasa result of enforcing such standards for the benefitof our other guests. Public intoxication late in thenight and disrupting other guests is something ourstaff must deal with, even (as we are fully aware) ifit results in a bad review and expression ofresentment.Our reply to his complaints in the review are below:We do not charge extra for non-smoking rooms. We onlyask for a refundable deposit to ensure non-smokingrooms stay non-smoking. All rooms available online arenon-smoking. If this guest reserved his room online,how would he know whether he was charged extra for anon-smoking room?The roof was not leaking. It would not convenientlywait for the guest to arrive to begin leaking. Ifthere was any physical problem with the room, we wouldbe happy to provide other rooms to our guests - movinga guest to another room is a far wiser businessdecision than a dissatisfied guest. We assume this iscommon sense.The building is no closer to 4th Avenue than any otherhotel in downtown. Because it is downtown, there istraffic. However, if this guest had trouble sleeping,it had nothing to do with traffic, but the fact he wasintoxicated and roaming around the building causingdisruptions. If traffic noise was so bad that guestscould not sleep, we would obviously be out ofbusiness, not going on year 15.Just as with any city, roaming around late at nightalone and intoxicated should be scary. Yes, there is a homeless shelter a few blocks away.Other neighbors of this shelter include the Sheraton,and at least 3 other midsize hotels. Most cities inthe United States have homeless shelters downtown. Wedo not have homeless people wandering the streetsbothering hotel guests. Our building is not as nicely decorated as the Hiltonor other hotels which cost 2-3 times more per night.However, we do everything we can to ensure our guestsare provided with clean and comfortable rooms, peace,quiet, safety, a friendly and helpful staff, and agreat price. If our building was as lavishly decoratedand updated as those other major hotels, we would notbe able to provide discounted rates to our guests.There are always trade-offs to getting the best price,and as smart consumers, we expect our guests to befully aware of this.The free nature of the web allows anyone to write justabout anything about businesses for any reason. Asbusiness operators, we can only ask readers toconsider what is unsaid in a review as well as what issaid. Every business tries hard to satisfy theircustomers. However, businesses such as motels oftenrun into situations where they must enforce rules forthe benefit of all other guests.

A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 28 January 2004

I stayed in Anchorage recently for a consulting project. Wanted to find someplace downtown for a couple of nights to go sightseeing. Other motels and hotels in the area were charging anywhere between 59 to 79(in January!?) and I found this place for 39, apparently a winter special. They had friendly and helpful staff who knew Anchorage pretty well, the place was downtown (near the Sheraton), and the room was comfortable and clean. Of course, it wasn't like Captain Cook Hotel, but I'm really not that picky about how expensive the room looks, especially considering I'm saving cash that I could spend on nice dinners and sightseeing. For a little more than the price of a hostel I got a private room with a queen size bed. If you're looking for clean and cheap lodging in downtown Anchorage and don't really care that the nightstand looks a tad outdated, I would recommend this place.

• Stayed: January 2004, travelled on business