“Hawaiian food? Really?”

Neighbourhood: Lake Union
Seattle
“Hawaiian food? Really?”
Reviewed 13 June 2011

OK they had loco moco and kalua pork on the menu. Had they not been there, I would have considered this a Japanese restaurant. I had katsu curry, my wife had karage chicken. Two menu items available in any family restaurant in Japan. If it weren't for the orchids decorating the plates, neither of these items seemed particularly Hawaiian. Granted, they don't have a long history in Japanese cuisine either, but they are so ubiquitous it never occurred to me they ventured to Japan via a Hawaiian culinary connection.

The karage was yummy, very yummy. I don't think I've ever had good karage outside Japan before. I wasn't as impressed with the katsu, but my wife admired how well the breading clung to the meat, and the overall skill in preparation. I'd wager the curry was House (a Japanese brand) curry base, tasted exactly like the House curry we make at home. I'd recommend they cut the veggies a little smaller, especially the potatoes.

We sat near the window with the intent of watching passersby on the street, but a DVD of a 2010 Hawaiian dance competition was playing on the big screen TV, and that proved more interesting. Seldom in this neighborhood, but if I had reason to be, and it was lunchtime, I'd go back.

• Visited June 2011

Mukilteo, Washington
“Alohayumyum”
Reviewed 30 March 2011

We had the BBQ chicken and Kalua pork. Both were really good and the portions were big enough to take home and have again another night. Both dishes had great flavored sauce, and the sticky white rice on the side was cooked just right. Their online menu has some photos if you are curious. It's a casual little place, there was only one other table with people at it while we were there but several people stopped in for take-out. They've got a small shelf with books about Hawaii if you're craving some reading material. On the TV they had some hulu dancing playing for a little Hawaiian ambience. Glad we found this little place, we'll be going back.

• Visited March 2011