“Step Back Into Another Era”
Review of Hotel Sorrento

Hotel Sorrento
Ranked #24 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Ventura, California
“Step Back Into Another Era”
Reviewed 24 May 2012

An excellent, old fashioned hotel. Super valets. We arrived on motorcycles and they walked us to and from the garage each time we needed the bikes and had the hotel's car available for us when we need that. Hats off to these guys.

The rest of the staff certainly was not far behind. We enjoyed the dark calm of the bar with its adjoining sitting room. It truly felt like we were in a fine hotel from decades past.

The rooms and bathrooms are immaculate with all modern amenities. The entire hotel is just calm and quiet. The property deserves its ratings and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Stayed 2 nights in May. Lovely hotel in a decent location - everything within walking distance or you have the option of being driven short distances (free of charge) in one of the hotel's cars. Loved the wood pannelled bar just off the main reception - nice atmosphere. Helpful, freindly staff throughout the hotel, very comfortable, spacious airy rooms. Good bed linen. Nice breakfasts. A very good choice - we walked past many other larger chain hotels in Seattle during our stay and were glad we'd picked something smaller and independent with a bit of character. Overall, nothing negative at all to say abotut his hotel and the room rates are reasonable too. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I was here in May of 2012, and stayed for four nights. It was a great stay! My king size bed was so incredibly comfortable and inviting, the hotel was nice and tidy. The hotel reminded me of old 1920's, and it was richly decorated to give one that impression. Everything was well manicured and cared for. The check in desk was dimly lit, adding to the allusion of 1920's high luxury, and the small elevator, large enough for two with one large suitcase a piece, had the rug switched out every day [with that day's day displayed, for example, it said The Sorrento, Thursday]. The hotel provided a sense of "history" when you walked in, you knew it wasn't a brand new hotel, you knew that it was nearly 100 years old, it added to the magic of the place! The bathroom was very clean, it had white/gray marble tiles and white porcelain fixtures. I stayed on the 6th floor, with a view looking out into Seattle's downtown, it was lovely, especially at night!

My only negative thoughts about the hotel was the $100+ holding charge for "incidentals", the fact that the bathrooms didn't have curtains to help block out some of the light that came in [don't panic, the windows were fogged and you couldn't see in or out], and with being on the 6th floor [or perhaps the time of night], the water ran luke warm in the shower, and the cost of room service when it comes to in-room dining. The BIGGEST draw back, was the hotel only had valet parking, and didn't provide any "free" or offer a ticket/compensation for reduced cost of paid parking around the hotel, so for the four nights, I spent nearly $100 for parking right across the street from the hotel, which was less than half of what it would have cost for overnight valet parking. The hotel had a concierge who could drive you around the city [I think it was up to 2 miles] at no cost, if you wished to leave your car in valet, or at the paid parking location. Even though this was a great hotel, with great staff, great location, the parking would be the factor that would cause me to pick another hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Maschalismos
RandallObrecht, General Manager at Hotel Sorrento, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Thanks you so much for taking the time to share your extensive thoughts on your recent experience with us. I did note your comments about the parking fee's and with our location in an urban area, the landlords who own the lots realize that there is a captive audience for parking. We do not have the ability to determine the parking rates, as they are a pass through from us to our guests. Otherwise, we appreciate your comments, and look forward to seeing you again the future. Best, Randall Obrecht - General Manager
Juneau, AK
Reviewed 19 May 2012

I really can't say enough about how pleasant my stay at the Sorrento was. It's a grand old hotel with a fancy ambience and an upscale restaurant but I was there for the proximity to the hospital and the value. I was dressed very casually and was a bit needy but my every wish was treated with extreme courtesy and kindness, not to mention promptly, efficiently, smoothly... I could go on and on.
The room was lovely- nothing tacky, great lamps everywhere for excellent lighting, tons of connectivity (you can plug your ipod in to play through the giant tv, there's free wireless, plus various other hi tech amenities). Extremely comfortable bed, responsive heating and cooling, bathrobes, nice bathroom with plenty of hot water, mini fridge. Great lay out, plenty of room for luggage racks (there are 2) and ironing, oh and get this: good coffee and a french press to brew it in!!
The famous fireside lounge is a great place for a nightcap or an afternoon read- and again I felt no snobbery, just excellent service and world class ambience.
I really felt extremely welcome, comfortable, and cared for at this hotel, and I can't recommend it enough.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 19 May 2012

We stayed at the Sorrento for one night. We loved the location and surrounding area and the closeness to great restaurants. The original wood paneling and traditional decor was very tasteful and comfortable. The rooms and bed were very comfortable with great bed linens. It seemed as though it recently had been renovated as the bathroom was very nice with marble and new fixtures. It was a great experience and I would recommend this hotel to my friends. In addition, I would stay there any time I am in Seattle.

Room Tip: I think rooms on the higher floors may be quieter than lower. That being said we were in a suite on...