“Unsurpassed customer service ~ simply awesome knives”
Review of Irbi Knives

Irbi Knives
Ranked #1 of 5 Shopping in Seward
Reviewed 20 December 2016

During our July 2015 trip to Alaska we stopped by the Campbell's knife shop. They weren't open at the time, but Virgil was out back chopping wood and took time to speak with my husband about his knives/craft, even giving him a sample of smoked salmon. Needless to say my husband has been talking about having one of these knives (and the smoked salmon) ever since.
With Christmas approaching I was trying to think of a gift that would just blow him away. It then dawned on me: I.R.B.I.'s!!
I immediately called and spoke with Dawn (my new best friend ;) ) What a gem!! I explained how enamored my husband was by the thought of having a hand-crafted knife and that he was appreciative of the smoked salmon Virgil shared with him. AND I was also aware that my time and options are/would be limited.
Within minutes Dawn emailed me a picture of the knives they currently had available. ALL of them were gorgeous (maybe that's not the right word to use for describing knives, but hey I'm a girl, so that's the word I'm using).
I quickly phoned back choosing the dall sheep horn with Damascus blade.
After a few minutes I phoned back and asked for the moose horn/antler knife also. They were all so awesome I just didn't know which one to pick!. The extra one will be given to my husband's extremely lucky best friend.
I was somewhat concerned that the knives would not arrive in time for Christmas, but Dawn assured me they would. I ordered them after 3PM Eastern on 12/15/16. I received them before 10AM Eastern on 12/19/16. Wow. Simply wow.
Not only were the knives shipped with warp speed; they included the hand-made sheaths that I completely forgot about AND a sample of Virgil's smoked salmon.
Who does that? Who remembers such small details from a quick 2-minute conversation? Dawn Campbell, that's who.
The knives themselves are beyond words; absolutely incredible. A++ craftsmanship.
The blade on the dall sheep knife is so cool, with different little swirls and such (I'm sure there's official verbiage for the swirls, but I'm calling them swirls!).
The customer service? Words cannot express....Dawn Campbell is the poster child for superb customer service.
I cannot thank Dawn and Virgil enough. They've helped make Christmas 2016 one for the history books!
Heck, even if you don't need a knife buy one anyway just to experience this level of customer service!!

All reviews
in 3 reviews
"alaska"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 7 July 2016

I put a down payment on a knife for my husband going on 3 years ago. We stopped and talked about the type of handle my husband wanted and they said they would try to get it. We gave up and settled for a piece of fossil but I've been stopping in on a regular basis since April 2016 and they still haven't made any progress on the completion of the knife. Buyer beware, don't give them any money until the knife is complete. I think this is the problem. They have great stories and are full of information but I just want the knife or my money back at this point.

Reviewed 28 June 2016

The owner Virgil was exceptionally kind and gave my son a lot of information and tips on blade making. He was kind enough to show us around his shop and was willing to share lots of tips! He is a true EDUCATOR and an enthusiastic craftsman. His knives are mostly custom made to order so don't expect to see a lot on the shelves for sale. But if you are interested in knife making and appreciate a good talk story with a warm hearted guy, be sure to stop by IRBI knives!

Reviewed 11 September 2015

We stopped by the shop in Moose Pass, mostly for my husband's benefit. He has worked with metal all his life and made some knives. I enjoyed the stop every bit as much as he did. Virgil gave us a tour and was very interesting. I was amazed at all the material he had for handles. He showed us his process for making Damascus blades. WOW! We are looking at having a custom knife made by him. Thanks Virgil!