“Friendly faces & unique places!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Nauti Otter

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seward
Nauti Otter
Anchorage, Alaska
“Friendly faces & unique places!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

After doing my research, I found that the Nauti Otter is one of the most affordable places to stay in Seward, little did I know that it is also one of the most hospitable. Heather went out of her way for me and treated me like a friend. The beds in the hostel were very comfortable and I had a great nights sleep! I plan on bringing my friends along on my next visit to this unique place. Heather knows the town and activities inside in out. She is very helpful in recommending fun things to do outside of the Otter. I can't wait to return for the fourth of July!.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
MN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

I was a bit suspicious from the start about The Nauti Otter based on the many reviews from people who joined the same day, wrote a review, gave the Nauti Otter 5 stars and never returned to Trip Advisor again. That raises many red flags in my mind. I stayed in one of the cabins. The cabin was simple and relatively small but nice. The bathroom was inside the house (very close), with a flush toilet in an outhouse not far from the cabin (the outhouse didn’t work the first day I was there).

Outside lots of "stuff" was in piles laying against the house or other buildings. It seems to me it would be easy to put all those things in a shed and sort through them later. It was more of just an eyesore than anything else but it didn't give a good first impression as you drive in.

There was full kitchen access which helped to keep food costs down. The place is about 5 miles north of Seward, so slightly inconvenient but not really very far. Having breakfast included was nice. Re: the lack of a “waffle station” mentioned above, there is a waffle maker on the kitchen counter with ingredients and instructions in a basket right next to the waffle maker. I made a waffle one day and greatly enjoyed it.

The major complaint I had was that there was only one bathroom. The place was not full (the place has several cabins, several private rooms and a bunk room) and even then there was a wait for the bathroom more than once. I could not imagine staying here in the peak of summer season with all beds full and only one bathroom/shower. I would probably return again in the off-season but probably would not be able to tolerate the bathroom situation in high season.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank fti
AlaskanAdventure, Owner at Nauti Otter, responded to this review, 20 August 2012
Thank you for taking time out to post a reply! As you may know, we had record breaking snow this year and new construction for a bath house was suppose to start on May 1st. Well, May 1st rolled around and there was still 8 feet of snow in the back yard! I had to make a decision to start construction in June (high tourist season) or live with only one shower this year. I thought it would be better to wait on the shower house. You mentioned there was "stuff" all over the yard. When you arrived, we were just finishing up the construction on the front porch, so I do apologize for not having all of the materials cleaned up for your arrival. With all the snow, even construction on the porch ended up happening during tourist season, but it's all cleaned up now. :) I'm glad you enjoyed your waffle and I hope you return next year when the showers are complete! I'm really excited about the new shower house! Happy travels!
Seymour, Connecticut, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

This one unfortunately did not live up to the reviews we read. The walls are paper thin, the kitchen is not so clean and people were in and around the kitchen area way past midnight making enough noise to wake us.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
AlaskanAdventure, Owner at Nauti Otter, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
I am saddened to hear your experience with us wasn't a pleasurable one. As stated in my "Frequently Asked Questions" section on the website that "the house was built in the 1940's and the walls are thin and the floors are squeaky". I try to prepare guests the best I can before they arrive. Due to the huge amounts of snow fall this winter, my remodeling was postponed a month and we were still "under construction" when you were visiting which is very difficult to keep the house clean with crews running in and out of the house, so I apologize for the cleanliness level here during your stay. Quiet hours are posted in the rooms and I will create a lot more signs to post around the house to ensure everyone remembers to keep the noise level down after 11pm as I know how frustrating it can be when you are trying to sleep! I hope you visit again and if you do I would love to give you a cabin which has more privacy at a discounted rate for your inconvenience. Thank you for bringing issues to my attention as I want everyone to have a positive experience here. Hope to see you again!
Nenana, Alaska, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2012

I booked a room at the Nauti Otter based on the reviews I found at Trip Advisor, however my experience was not as great as everyone elses. The prices of the rooms/beds were right on target for my budget, which was nice, but other than that everything else was lackluster. We had to check in late and check out early, so I never actually got to meet Heather or any of the other staff (which in hindsight seems to be what everyone loves about this place). The beds were so-so, and the walls are very paper thin. When I was there, there was no "waffle station", and the people upstairs were quite noisy around 3am. I can see how this would be a great place for some travelers, but I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Room Tip: If you're looking to get some sleep, get a cabin.
Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
AlaskanAdventure, Owner at Nauti Otter, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Oh! I am so sorry your stay here wasn't a pleasurable one! I strive to meet everyone that books with us to answer any questions and help them in their journey. Due to your late arrival and early departure, I'm sad our paths didn't cross. As stated on the website under "Frequently Asked Questions" the house was built in the 1940's and has paper thin walls and squeaky floors. I try to prepare the guests the best I can before they arrive. I have quite hours posted in the rooms, but I will make a lot more signs to post around the house to remind guests about quiet hours. There are always improvements needed here and I will make insulating the rooms a top priority. For waffles, I have syrup, raisins, almonds, dried cherries, powdered sugar and brown sugar. If you have any other suggestions for items, please don't hesitate to send a comment my way. Due to the massive amounts of snow fall this winter, remodeling was a month behind and we were still "under construction" when you visited. It always saddens me when people don't have an amazing time here and if you ever plan on visiting Seward again, I would love to give you a cabin with more privacy at a discounted rate. Thank you for your comments as I am always open to suggestions on how to improve the Nauti Otter.
belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

This place was a great contrast to the expensive hotels that lack the type of Alaskan character you are up there to see in the first place.

During my stay I got to enjoy amazingly fresh caught fish several times, and the fisherman that caught them was the same guy who cooked them up and shared with everybody. The morning breakfast was always great too, because they have an awesome waffle station where you can go crazy making waffles all you like.

The staff was great too, all of them having awesome life stories and cool experiences. When I stayed there was a fisherman, a mountaineer who had just summited Denali, and some Texan school teachers spending the summer training for a marathon.

The owner is probably one of the friendliest people alive and that kept the whole place really fun, and she has definitely improved this quirky place to be a real gem at the outskirts of Seward. I hope to go back someday for sure.

• Stayed July 2011