See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 22 August 2015 via mobile

The Brass Lantern B&B was a wonderful place to stay while visiting Seward. It was clean, comfortable, cozy, and homey. Everything you need is provided for you. There are many choices for breakfast included in the kitchen and fridge. The first level has two twin beds and a separate room with a queen bed. The upper level has a bathroom, a cozy seating area, and the kitchen. On clear days you have a beautiful view of Mt. Alice from the window and balcony. Very pleasant stay. I would stay there again if I visited Seward again.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2015

This place was the kind of place where you walk in and your first thought is, “I wish I was staying here for a week instead of only one night.” It was an absolutely wonderful place, and clearly the owners have put great thought and effort into every detail. The furnishings and décor were lovely and cozy, and everything was in perfect condition. It seemed the owners had thought of everything, with pleasant and subtle notes taped or in frames in exactly the right places to be noticed when they would be pertinent. The food provided for breakfast was abundant. There were homemade cookies when we arrived, and a whole basket full of breakfast pastries. In the fridge were four Chobani Greek yogurts as well as a huge bowl of grapes; there was also milk, bread, oatmeal packets, and probably more that I'm forgetting. By the time my husband asked if there was any cream cheese for the bagels, I replied, “I'm sure there is. They've thought of everything else.” And sure enough, in the fridge were little packets of cream cheese and individually wrapped butter pats.

Oh, and I haven't even mentioned the view from the deck. I wasn't expecting much; the home is several streets back from the waterfront and on a residential street. So I was absolutely shocked when I realized that out on the deck, you could see over the houses down to the water, and that you could also look down the street right into Resurrection Bay. The pictures on TripAdvisor give some idea of what you can see, but it's actually even better in person. Not exactly waterfront, but way more than I was expecting.

The configuration is a little abnormal; the front door enters into the room with two twins, and in the back, through a door, is the room with the queen. The stairs to the upper level start in the front room (with the twins) and lead up to a living area, kitchen and bathroom. The upstairs ceiling is sloped down to four feet or so at the one wall, and the slope is especially noticeable when you try to work in the kitchen; my husband and I each smacked our heads on the sloping ceiling several times. But the place is so well done that the strange configuration hardly matters at all.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat, and I wish we had had more time to enjoy it.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2015 via mobile

The bath room is up stairs and bedroom down stairs was a real pain. The furniture was very uncomfortable. The BBQ didn't get hot enough r to cook anything. The shower didn't have enough hot water to get thru the 1st shower.
Would not stay there again.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
Eldurado, Manager at Brass Lantern B & B, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2015

B&B negative review response:

I apologize we were unable to meet your expectations during your recent stay. Our guests are a top priority and we want them to be comfortable and enjoy their stay.
Your comments deeply concerned me. In all honesty, I can also say that I was very surprised. We are very attentive to maintenance issues and we make every effort to fix them as soon as we are notified of a problem or concern. The location of the bathroom can be difficult for our older guess but unfortunately it isn't something we can change. It is also clearly stated on our website where it is located in conjunction with the location of bedrooms.
Our website, including photos, is truly as it is. The layout isn't perfect but this isn't hidden from our potential guests. We strive to make our guest's stay a wonderful restful experience.

Reviewed 1 July 2015

This is a lovely little B and B in the heart of Seward. The baked goods and cookies were wonderful and the owners were very accommodating. We were a party of 2 couples and the layout was a bit odd for that as the staircase to the upstairs and the bathroom is in one of the bedrooms, something you may need to consider. The ceiling height upstairs slopes from a very nice vault down to the point where I (the short one) was the only person who could stand comfortably in the kitchen. It didn't bother me a bit but others were a little put off. The rooms are clean and neat and the couch is comfortable to lay on but not so much to sit on. Overall, we enjoyed our stay very much and would certainly come again.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 June 2015

We stayed two nights in June and would recommend this unit.

It is a two-story unit with the beds downstairs and the kitchen, bathroom and sitting area upstairs so if you have trouble with stairs, this isn't the place for you. For us it was no big deal. When you enter, there is an open room with a couple of twin beds and an enclosed bedroom with a queen sized bed. This worked out well for us. Our daughter was in the open room and we were in the bedroom. The beds were comfy and we had our own thermostat in the unit so we could set whatever temperature was comfortable for us.

The kitchen is not large but it held everything we needed, including the necessary utensils, pots and pans, etc. to make dinner each night. The continental breakfast was super handy! We really appreciated having all the supplies in the unit waiting for us so we could have breakfast when it was convenient. We really enjoyed the muffins, bagels, fruit, yogurt, juice, milk, granola bars, and cereal! It was plenty of food for the three of us, and we often took a piece of fruit and/or a granola bar with us to snack on during the day as we did tours. I was expecting some prepackaged muffins and Cheerios. This was WAY beyond that, and was very much appreciated.

There were nice towels in the bathroom and the medicine cabinet was stocked with various personal care items in case you ran out or forgot something. We used some of the facial products and sunscreen. Great! We thought it was really nice to have those things available for our use.

The unit is very convenient in terms of location. We walked to the Alaska Sealife Center in less than 5 minutes. It is only a couple of blocks away.

It was chilly and rainy while we were in Seward so we didn't take advantage of the deck, but you can see the mountains and bay from there. There are other streets, houses and buildings in between, but you can still see them.

The owners let us check in an hour early, which was great because we wanted to change clothes before heading out for a tour.

I can't really think of anything bad to say about this place. In a perfect world, the open bed area would have some privacy and perhaps there would be a bathroom near the bedrooms, but everything was fine for us and I think it will be for you too.

It was comfortable, cozy and SO much better than staying in a cramped hotel room!

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family