“Mediocre food--poor service”
Review of Sushi Shiono

Sushi Shiono
Reserve with OpenTable
Sushi Shiono is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 302 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Price range: USD 31 - USD 50
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese, Hawaiian
Good for: Romantic, View, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Alii Sunset Plaza
Description: Sushi Shiono is without a doubt the best sushi restaurant on the Big Island of Hawaii. We offer only the finest and freshest selections of fresh fish from all over the world, including lots of local Kona fish expertly prepared and served with love.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I have been to this restaurant a few times years ago, and at the time I liked the food. This time I was really disappointed. The restaurant is a tiny, very casual place a half block from the beach with a few tables and a sushi counter.
The prices have definitely gone up, and you can expect to pay $40+ for a dinner with no drinks or appetizers.
The only reason I gave it a rating of 2 was because the sushi was very good. We had a combination sushi, tempura, chicken and beef teriyaki sampler served on a grotesque-looking "ship" they plunked down on our table ($80).The chicken was fry and the beef really fatty and of low quality.
But the worst part and what really detracted from the dining experience was the wait staff and service. Is it too much to ask that our water get refilled, and that you at least glance in our direction occasionally? We were completely ignored and had to go to the counter and ask for water. No thank you, and no goodbye. Sorry to have bothered you. It won't happen again!

Reviewed 30 May 2018

The Lobster Tempura Roll $15.50 and Furikake Chicken $12.50 (Tempura chicken tossed with creamy dressing and sprinkled with furikake) are the two things I order each time I eat here. The Furikake Chicken is the best I've ever had. So tasty!

Reviewed 20 May 2018

We had 2 different types of sushi and some California rolls. Everything was fresh and tasty. I'm always nervous about eating sushi away from home, but it was excellent. The waitperson was pleasant and efficient. We sat outside, which was very pleasant.

Prices are a little high, but this is Hawaii, where prices tend to be high because they have to import so much of their everyday items. Also, it's just off Ali'i Drive, the main thoroughfare, in a little retail area behind Thai Rin.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 April 2018 via mobile

Service was mediocre. Took 15 min to place drink order and then was decent after that point. Waiter in general was not very friendly. Not rude but just “there”.

Ordered some sushi rolls. Expected much better based on some of reviews. But there are a lot better sushi places in Waikoloa Beach area. Probably won’t be back. Not worth the price.

Reviewed 9 March 2018

I eat here so often that I probably tried everything and have not found anything I didn't love ... so hard to not come back