All reviews front desk the breakfast area hi express free breakfast reading lights yogurt guest laundry perfect hotel sitting area small gym clean hotel parking pass hotel parking shops and restaurants ali'i drive walking distance would stay here again
Reviewed 14 May 2018 via mobile

If you are looking for a super clean, (relatively) inexpensive base of operations in the middle of town, give this HIE a go. Parking can get tight, but the overflow lot is 20 feet across the street, the breakfast is ideal to get and go, the staff is very friendly and they have an excellent exercise room. My only complaint is that the WiFi is horrible (it sucks, actually). There are two killah sushi restaurants across adjacent parking lots (shimaichi’s is awesome). It’s where I’ll stay from now on. Highly recommended!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Bobby S
Reviewed 11 May 2018

The Holiday Inn Express is two blocks up above Alii Drive in the heart of Kona.
Their building basically looks like an apartment building- not a Hawaiian resort hotel.
None of the rooms have a lani(a Hawaiian porch) but it wouldn't have made much difference because your view would have been of parking lots and office buildings.
(which you can see from your window.)
Although they are rated as a two star hotel their prices -room rates-are much more in line with a four star.
Their corporate pricing policy is known as surge pricing. What that means is if you are, for example, booking a stay for five nights, your nightly room rate can vary night by night depending on demand.. In other words the hotel's prices -your nightly rate-is not, as everybody else does in Hawaii, given a standard rate for your entire stay, but based on variables like supple and demand. So, for example, one night during your stay the rate might be ,say $260 a night, the next night you might be charged $330. They probably get this model from their airport hotels which are usually cheaper on weekends and more expensive during the week with all the 'business travelers.Now what this has to do with a supposed Hawaii resort hotel, you tell me. Recently the Honolulu City Council critized Uber and Lyft for having higher prices during peak hours.In fact they have proposed a bill making surge pricinhg illegal for ride-hailing companies in Honolulu. It should be illegal for Hawaiin hotels, and the Kona Holiday Inn Express should voluntarily stop the practice of "surge pricing." I mean booking a hotel in a resort area of Hawaii should not be like buying pork belly futures.
By the way, the free morning breakfast buffet is nice.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
3  Thank kesterwilliam
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2018

Hi kesterwilliam,

Thanks for choosing us for your lodging needs and for leaving a review, your thoughts are welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed our buffet breakfast! On the downside, I'm sorry our upkeep did not meet your expectations. It's also sad that you did not find value in our pricing. While we acknowledge your sentiments, our rates are priced strategically to stay competitive inline with demand and availability. In any event, we value your feedback which we do share internally for reference.

Thanks for your candor. I hope we get the chance to welcome you back when your plans bring you again to the area.

Kind regards,

Jillian I
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 9 May 2018 via mobile

I came here after reading all the positive reviews and I was not disappointed. The hotel is located very close to the main street in Kona so you can walk to all the shops and restaurants very easily. The breakfast was sufficient and they had coffee and water constantly available which was a nice touch.
The rooms are large and clean. The first room we were allocated had noisy neighbours and they happily changed us to another room. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who visits Big Island.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 May 2018

Enjoyed a nice walk to the main shop/eating street. Easy walk to reach our tours booked. Had a car but didn't really need it in this location as we were enjoying local attractions. Breakfast was a good mix and never seemed too busy. Room was comfortable and clean.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank CheriBee80
Reviewed 3 May 2018

As plain as this, we got there Feb. 14th at 9:00 pm just to heard our reservation had been cancelled because they couldn't charge the credit card they had on file. Yes, we have to cancel our credit card that morning because of fraudulent charges. Hotel staff told us they try to reach us... while we were flying to Big Island. We were also told we could get a room next day, nice try. Our kids were crying because they though we would be sleeping in the car, all hotels were sold out. Staff wasn't helpful at all.
And yes, Parking is a nightmare.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank 2005_4_For_Travel
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2018

Hello 2005_4_For_Travel,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Kailua-Kona, HI. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Orlando A.