Open today: 8:00 am - 7:00 pm
Review Highlights
Beautiful beach

Lovely beach. Has a decent sized sandy portion. Parking is by the sides of the road. Come early or... read more

Reviewed 31 December 2023
Srilekha P
San Mateo, California
Beautiful

Beautiful clear water, soft sand. Lifeguards on duty. Some days there are big waves here, some are... read more

Reviewed 8 November 2023
toritheexplorer17
Los Angeles, California
via mobile

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Recommended experiences in and around Island of Hawaii
from AU$145.65
from AU$130.39
from AU$375.69
from AU$283.09
1,429 results
All reviews favorite beach boogie boarding great beach soft white sand body surfing the big island big waves beautiful sand lava rock crystal clear water sea turtles fish shore hawaii
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 July 2019

Some tips for going to this beach:

1) This beach is an official public beach, with paved access, showers, restrooms. It can be very popular. We arrived at 9:00 a.m. on a Saturday and 50 cars were already there. At least 75 were there by 11:00.

2) You will need shoes. While flipflops will technically work, you will be walking and climbing across lava rocks. Comfortably closed-toe shoes are a better option.

3) If you plan on being there long, bring an umbrella or lean-to for shade. There is is only one tree on site, and it will already be occupied. This is the tropics and sun is powerful. If bringing an umbrella, be mindful that under the sand is lava rock, and umbrellas won't penetrate everywhere.

4) Ocean is definitely good for swimming, but parents should keep close eyes on smaller children. The redound can be strong. While there is a physical life guard station, it wasn't manned while we were there.

5) Be sure to bring waters or other drinks, which is permitted. Avoid plastic straws. Haul out your garbage.

6) Enjoy a beautiful beach!

6  Thank treyleah
Reviewed 29 June 2019 via mobile

Great Beach! Easy to get to but the parking lot can fill up forcing beach goers to park on the road leading to the beach. I recommend driving the road all the way in to the restrooms where the is a turn around where you can unload people, chairs, etc then find parking. This is much easier than walking a distance with lots to carry. As you head down to the beach you will pass a picnic area and open showers to rinse off. Then there is a short walk down a lava rock slope (take your time) to get to the soft sandy beach. We visited Magic Sands beach, Waianae beach and finally Manini’owali Beach. Manini’owali was by far the best. The other two we visited were beautiful but surf could get rough and the was a large amount of lava rock in the shallow waters so you need water shoes. Manini’owali was soft sand little lava rock and the surf was more manageable. It can get crowded but there was plenty of room. I would recommend packing a beach umbrella as there is no shade. We also took a cooler and some sandwiches for lunch. It was a great afternoons! We spent about two hours there.

5  Thank staceylcullen74
Reviewed 23 June 2019

I enjoyed this beach the water is amazingly blue and clear with white sand beach dispersed thru the lava rocks. worth the trip and i hear its a great place to snorkel although I did not snorkel here

1  Thank Riverbabe60
Reviewed 21 June 2019

Since Kona has very few beaches this is the best. It can be very crowded. Restroom and showers available

Date of experience: May 2019
Reviewed 18 June 2019

I can't really add to all the great reviews. Even though the recommendations are to go early, I've been twice - one early at about 9am and one later around 5pm and I actually like the later in the day better. People are starting to leave for dinner arrangements and there's something special in having the beach start to empty while you're still there. (Not empty-empty, but you know.)

The warning I would add is to watch the bees/wasps at the showers. The time we went in the morning, as we were leaving I was in my beach sandals rinsing off and the bees/wasps looking for water were around. I had taken my shoe off to rinse under my foot and when I put it back down into my sandal one insect had landed there and I got stung REALLY badly. Terrible pain and swelling and itching (slept with my foot in a bucket of ice all night) for four days - just glad my allergic reaction didn't get worse. As much as it is a convenience, unless I see NO insects at all I'd rather stay sandy.

Date of experience: July 2018