“Do you like getting a talking to with your breakfast?”

Mango Sunset BnB at Lyman Farms
Ranked #6 of 13 Kailua-Kona B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Oakland, California
“Do you like getting a talking to with your breakfast?”
Reviewed 15 November 2011

1. Don't believe the photos on their website, they have a great photographer but the place isn't special.

2. Strange (not in a nice way) innkeepers.

3. Great view but not worth the price.

4. NO bathtubs!

5. Dirty shower. Bedroom smelled like mold.

Do you like getting a talking to with your breakfast? Are you really into coffee but don't much care about how comfortable or pleasant your room is? If so, this is the place for you!

As for the innkeepers, I do feel bad for Marsha. It seems Hans likes to rule with an iron fist... or just a loud voice. I hope she's ok.

When first I called mango sunset I wasn't sure everything was ok with Marsha. She sounded hesitant but eventually offered me a room for that night. This was the only B&B we could find at the last minute and without a three night minimum. My sweetheart and I decided to take the room.

Upon arriving Marsha greeted us and made us aware of amenities like the washing machine we could use, but not right now because it was loud(a few moments later a farmhand was using it). She took my credit card and said several times, "I'll be back with this." I began to doubt...

She did come back and we specified we didn't need anything special for breakfast -just a little fresh fruit because we were both eating raw food at the time. Marsha asked several times about what we ate and I kept trying to assure her she didn't need to go to any lengths. She kept at it and I said that if she felt uncomfortable with fruit, she could bring us nothing and if she felt uncomfortable with that she could give us a discount. She seemed a little defensive about this but she did say breakfast was served an the lanai at 7am.

We were weary so I wasn't so glad to have to clean someone else's hair out of the shower before using it. It was that kind of short curly hair no one wants to clean up. marsha had said she was waiving the "cleaning fee". Glorious. The bed wasn't comfortable either, I couldn't get to sleep easily.

"Coffee is made, breakfast is served!" woke us from the hallway. Breakfast included awesome exotic fruits and Hans loudly telling his life's story ~ for about 45 minutes. There was another couple there nodding along but my sweetheart was not into it. He asked for a little quiet and Hans became angry. He told us we could "meditate" anywhere on the property. He came over and stood over our table and began telling us all about how guests at a B&B are supposed to behave and saying that everyone else wanted to talk. (the other couple managed to politely decline further conversation). He also pointed out that fresh fruit wasn't easy to provide. He said he had woken early to prepare it for us. I wanted to give Hans the benefit of the doubt and I pointed out to my sweetie that we were in their special place and that B&B hosts can be weird. But you know, my baby was totally right. $140 does suggest we receive some kind service and their website does promise "pampering".

fail.

Hans, maybe meditating is a good idea.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sue H
Kona_Innkeeper, Owner at Mango Sunset BnB at Lyman Farms, responded to this review, 27 November 2011
Two very young students arrived as a surprise without reservations for one night (boyfriend from Puna side). Extremely choosey with food: we are used to vegetarian, low salt, low fat, etc., but this couple ate only "raw foods". I bent over backwards and made them a large plate of five different prepared raw fruits (no thank you was offered). They spoke to one another in whispers -- really unusual. I suspect that they consider normal conversational voices "too loud". The other sets of guests (we have 4 rooms, and all of us -- including host-- take breakfast on the ocean view lanai) had specifically asked to have my usual "coffee Tour". This begins with a presentation of the history of the farm, how and why we came to Hawaii and decided on coffee. Any guest who reads our website information is clear about that we are a prize -winning organic coffee farm, a working business. Ten minutes into the presentation the young couple came out and sat down at their table at the far end of the lanai. I spoke to the other guests turned to them and not the complaining party. After a few minutes, the young man asked ("I don't mean to offend, but...") if we could all be silent so that they could enjoy the view. The other guests did not "politely decline to converse further" but were clearly stunned by their assertion, and taken aback by these young students, wanting to push their behavior on everyone else. I got up and spoke to them SOFTLY, so that nobody else would hear, and mentioned places on the farm ideal for meditation, and that lively conversations among all participants is quite normal. Their reaction was quite sour. So, we all got up and left the lanai to continue the tour. This complaint borders on insulting, such as that the young student feels it necessary to "doubt that Marsha would be back with her credit card"....what? "no bath tubs": oh my, we have walk-in showers. If you want a tub, make sure your Inn has them. Please do not make up false things: we NEVER serve breakfast at 7. Coffee is ready at 7:15 in the activity room, and we serve our hot breakfast between 7:30 and 8 on our ocean view lanai. Our bathrooms are cleaned daily, and "someone else s hair" in the shower is not believable. Yes, Marsha was trying, as we always are, to accommodate special diets, and since yours was a "first" for us, she tried her very best to please you. Their complaint is so long and detailed (much of it unjustified, or even quite incorrect) that it belies their super-short stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Finnish first
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Just spent three nights at Mango Sunset B&B in October 2011. We throughly enjoyed our stay. It was nice to stay out of the busy Kailua-Kona coastal area - especially during the busy Ironman Competition. It is an added bonus to stay at a working coffee farm and learn all about this business from farmers dedicated to producing quality organic coffee.
Innkeepers Hans and Marsha were very accomodating. They were willing and able to make great suggestions on where to visit and what to do in the area. Their advice proved very valuable in spending our time wisely.
One caveat - the quarters in the B&B are a bit close. Loud voices carry from room to room. If you are looking for a romantic honeymoon, this may not be the best choice for you. If, on the otherhand, you enjoy some social interaction with other travelers this lodging may be better suited for you.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would return again.

Room Tip: Be sure to request a tour of the coffe farm. You will learn much about a very small (but important...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank DE-Touron
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 24 September 2011

Comfortable room within an award winning coffee estate.

Very informative coffee tour by passionate owner to share the finer sides of coffee cultivation and appreciation.

Fresh and delicious breakfast served with their award winning coffee daily !

Good location near to Kona airport and nearby attractions along the coast.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lee77_10
kailua, Hawaii, USA
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I stayed at The Mango Sunset B&B 2 nights and had a wonderful time! Served Breakfast by 6 year old manager Karen and her mom Marsha ( homemade Belgin waffels with starberrys and whip cream..(only on sundays) a wonderful view.. Great conversation. If someone had a bad time here it is clear to me that they would have a bad time everywhere they went.. Cause The Mango Was Amazing and so were Hanz and Marsha.

Room Tip: The queen bed and private bath was a must.. very restful.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank AthenasIsland
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 14 September 2011

I found this place on Trip Advisor and thought it would be a neat idea. Unfortunately, the reality did not live up the reviews I read on Trip Advisor.

I had made reservation for 3 nights but ended up leaving that very first evening. The owner charged me for all 3 nights even though I only spent one afternoon there.

If you are ok with paying $150 per night (we had 3 people in our party), but not have shampoo and soap in the bathroom, be told that you can not wear shoes inside the house, be told bluntly that you are asking too many questions, have to figure out yourself why the wireless is not working, then your experience would not be the same as mine.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Gigi M
This lady was not only very assertive, but talked to us as if we were servants, or peasants.The lady arrived mid-afternoon with her elderly mother and her teenage son. From the first minutes, the old mom (who spoke no English, and I only understand a few words of Farsi / Iranian) made it known that she did not like the place that her daughter had chosen. The room they had chosen was $120, but the roll away bed and the third person was $30 (and includes full hot breakfasts). All of this is very clearly stated on the website, with our policies and photographs. Also very clearly stated is our cancellation policy -- and it is also repeated on our reservation confirmation. Yes, there are several BnB's on the Island that provide more amenities, but we are the least expensive one and do not provide shampoo. After many years of experience we have learned that most ladies travel with their own, anyway. If someone asks, however, we have a small stash of emergency toiletries for our guests, including shampoo. When we heard their car leave (around 8 PM) we assumed they were going to dinner. As we noted next morning, they did not return, but beds and bathroom/towels had been used. AS they were quite unfriendly towards us, we saw no reason NOT to abide by our cancellation policy.