“Not Fancy ”
Review of Rainbow Cafe

Rainbow Cafe
Ranked #174 of 307 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

This is at great place to stop on your way to Costco. We were going to stay for a week in a condo in Waikoloa, so a Costco run is needed. Eat here first and save money at Costco. My wife had the roast beef, I just had a burger and fries. All good.

1  Thank Timothy C

Reviewed 28 April 2017

My husband and I stopped in on the way to return our rental car. I had a breakfast croissant with egg and ham, it was really fresh and delicious. My husband had the pancake breakfast, also delicious. Great food. The atmosphere is a little off putting, a big giant room , not very welcoming. But all in all a good place. Good value for the price. A lot of locals came in off and on while we were there and it seemed very popular. They also serve chinese food.

Reviewed 27 March 2017

ordering off the menu is a better choice than eating the buffet. I had the buffet ... gross. Then I ordered off the menu it was really good.

Reviewed 9 February 2017

Huge menu, like geez how can one choose? Deli stuff, hawaiian dishes, entrees, but what i really wanted was breakfast! when we showed up at 11am were told breakfast not available, but wait you are still serving all the same ingrediants all over the menu. Anyways, they really need to do breakfast all day.

The Ruben i ordered was tasty but the "cafe" portion is really just hot coffee and not a full bar which was silly so we walked over to the real coffee shop next door to spend more money.

Lots of choices here and casual atmosphere. Best option for this area since there aren't many choices unless you go into Kona.

Reviewed 31 January 2017

As much as I hate posting a 2 star review, I feel I must. I have given Rainbows many more than 3 strikes before hesitantly updating my review.

I usually eat lunch anytime between noon and 1:30. It is ALWAYS a crap shoot going to Rainbows during this time frame. More often than not, the plate lunch items are gone or only have old crusty scraps left. For some reason, they don't seem to be in a rush to get new trays of food out.

I have walked in and walked back out a handful of times because of this. I often choose the plate lunch because it is already made, and I can get lunch and be on my way in a rush.

The last few times I have gone, the food had run out, so I decided to order from the menu and wait for it to be made. One time I ordered a fried mahimahi combo, which i won't do again. The mahi-mahi I got seemed like it was put in the fryer the day before and left overnight. Either that, or what I had wasn't really mahi-mahi, but a deep fried tennis shoe. It was crazy how much batter there was, and how fried it was. Fish shouldn't be crunchier than captain crunch cereal. This was. Never again.

Next time (next day, actually) back, I opted for the chicken katsu with almond shrimp.
Shrimp was ok, katsu was wtf. Me and my wife like to call this skin katsu, cause that's all it was. Skin dipped in batter and Fried. I will post a pic and you can see how shameful it really was. Come on guys, its chicken- the cheapest of the meat. No need to be so stingy!

As crazy as it sounds, for as bad as my review has gone down, I will still continue to eat here.
I like the people who own it, I just think they need to take the customers a little more seriously and put a little more care in their food.